Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Axle questions for mud truck build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Axle questions for mud truck build

I am planning a mud truck build using a custom cut chassis and a clod body and I am wondering what axles to use. I can tear my wheely king down and use it as a base or I can tear down my pimp cane clod and use its axles. I'm not sure which to use, the wheely kings axles will allow me to get the motor and transmission out of the mud, but the clod axles are a little stronger and also narrower which will look better with the body. I am concerned with the brushed motors being so low on the clod axles and being drug through the mud that i will chew through motors in a single run. What can i do to help the motors last on the clod axles? Or should i just use the w/k axles and deal with the width?
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

how bout a setup where the motor is up high under the body... like the scx10 trans/motor.. or traxxas trans/motors?
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

if i use the w/k axles i will also be using its transmission as well.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

gotcha.. trying to work with what you have.... then im not sure.. im new into this scene to begin with.. but on my real mudtruck.. gotcha u want as much out of the mud as you can for less drag... and massive meat/hp!!!!!
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i am using my WK stuff for a FOFF build. you can pick up some upgrades for em pretty cheap. i am in the process of getting new aluminum tranny gears too.

i wouldnt use the clods just for the fact that the motors would get abused by the mud.

wk is the way to go IMO.
bigjay1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

My w/k trans is fully built and has been as reliable as a claw hammer since i built it in 2007. I will have to waterproof the whole truck, of course, but other than that the only hurdle i have now is to decide on tires. I love the look of Imex dually's narrowed to singles, but i don't like the price tag! i have a few sets of stock Maxx tires that i could narrow but id much rather just use an off the shelf tire for simplicity and reliability's sake (don't want a tire coming apart in a hole that i cant walk into). Any recommendations as far as tires go? also, could i use a pre-filter on the motors of the clod to keep debris out such as a stocking or air filter cover? Pantyhose worked great when i raced motocross as it kept mud and water out of my open element k&n air filter.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

i am not really sure. i am sure of this though you could probably search and find everything you looking for in the clod section if thats the way your leaning.
bigjay1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjay1973 View Post
i am not really sure. i am sure of this though you could probably search and find everything you looking for in the clod section if thats the way your leaning.
i did some searching over there and the only thing i found was an idea to use animal wrap (or any similar material) to wrap the motor to prevent dirt and dust from entering the can but as far as water goes, I'm still at a loss. Looks like the w/k axles and trans are going in the truck as soon as i get the chassis cut out. Hope to figure out something for tires soon as well.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I build rc mud trucks. I personally like the Wheely King axles and trans for the reasons that you stated of keeping everything up high and out of the mud.

My Wheely King....
[IMG][/IMG]

I have a Clod too....but I have to thoroughly clean both motors after every run . Also a couple of Axials and a losi....so I kinda think I know a thing or two.
-mud- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

i think the w/k setup is going to be the wa i go. I cant seem to get the clod axles to stay together for more than one pack at a time without breaking something and i want to beat on the truck and not work on it all the time. i have never been able to get the steering set up the way i want on the clod axles either, so that was the final nail in their coffin. The Wheely King has been as durable as a claw hammer so i have high hopes for the project
Old 07-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Sounds good....let's see some pictures of your build, I've always enjoyed and admired others mud trucks. They're not the easiest to build.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by -mud- View Post
Sounds good....let's see some pictures of your build, I've always enjoyed and admired others mud trucks. They're not the easiest to build.
Any advice or tips specific to mud trucks that you could pass along? Whats the best way to protectt the motor and electronics? Also, any tire recommendations for something that cleans out pretty easily? Thanks a billion for all the help!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #13
RCC Addict

For tires, I have never used anything better then the RC4WD Boggers. I have not used the 2.2's I have yet in the mud, only the 1.9's. But they are an excellent tire over all. Probably my favorite out of what I have run. I was surprised in that they actually work ok for rocks too. Not the best, but not bad at all either. I prefer a skinny but tall tire for mud. And the 1.9 Boggers are pretty skinny to help with you wanting a narrower overall stance. Height for clearance and narrow for good contact pressure. But that is a debate that could go on forever (skinny vs Narrow mud tires).

I would definitely run a driveshaft rig compared to a motor on axle for mud. The thing that halts your runs the most is drag overcoming traction. And there is a lot more to drag on a MOA axle.

for electronics, go with a waterproof esc. Traxxas XL5 for low budget or a Holmes BRXL waterproof for more power and better options but costs a bit more (very worth it).

I seal my receivers up in a balloon that is ziptied at the end. And I put dielectric grease on the whole plug area of it when plugging in the esc and servo's. Then it goes in the balloon. Then it goes in a waterproof box that is RTV'd sealed up. All easy to remove later on for maintenance, but 3 levels of waterproofing for the most critical piece to seal (receiver). Servos, I just disassemble and use some dielectric crease inside. never had a problem and I have run some un modded stock ones in water/mud with no issues either.

I have not come up with a good measure for the motor and have had them poop on mud runs. I have seen people use foam or even pantyhose to wrap the motor to keep gunk out. but I have seen even those fail from mud/water damage so I am not sure on this one. It is very hard to seal a brushed motor and if silt gets in, it will sieze things up. just keep some motor spray and maybe compressed air (cans like you clean out computers with) and you can maintain it on the go.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

^ what he said....plus I recommend greasing the inside of the axle housings with some wheel bearing grease, like the kind you use on boat trailer tires. It will help keep the water out and help from the bearings rusting solid. Also grease the tranny too. Also sealing the axles with a small bead of silicone keeps water from getting inside the cracks. I put all my electronics in a small plastic box and sealed with silicone. Waterproof steering servo or make.one waterproof. As far as the motor goes, I take mine completely apart, clean the muck off, and apply a bit of oil to the bearings. Not much works as far as protection while running, but with the WK, it sits up pretty high so you shouldn't have to worry much. Its the Axials that sink in the mud cause the motors are so low on frame.
Now with tires, I like the Imex Swamp Dawgs. They're a wider tire then the Swamper Boggers, but fit the WK axles well. They also.toss the mud off really well when you tap the throttle. You can also trim the lugs for a more aggressive tread. That's all I can think of for now. I'll chime in if I remember something else.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #15
j0e
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
Whats the best way to protectt the motor and electronics?
brushless motor and no worries.
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0e View Post
brushless motor and no worries.
You sure? From I've seen, the general saying is brushed, it's cheaper to get a bunch of cheapo brushed motors and just clean them after each run than to spend alot more money on brushless and kill it with particles in water and mud.
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
You sure? From I've seen, the general saying is brushed, it's cheaper to get a bunch of cheapo brushed motors and just clean them after each run than to spend alot more money on brushless and kill it with particles in water and mud.
Agree.
I broke a spendy brushless motor after only 3 times in the mud. Was not happy. I have 6 brushed motors, only had 1 go after close to 4 years of mudding. Maybe it's a fluke? I don't know....but not gonna gamble again.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Brushless all the way I ran a traxxas velinion kit in mine on 3s my truck floated down a creek more than once and still ran brushless is the way to go
txcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I use all axial parts with velenion motor and esc with 2s and 3s with no problems.Now my trans and axles are upgraded for the power i have but i really beat mt truck hard and so does my wife.We run the same setup but she has 2.2 flat irons and i have 2.2 swampers and i have yet to go somewhere she cant as far as tires go the 2.2 flat irons really leave me speechless some times whe we get to the hill climbs and deep mud(not water)she just holds it wide open and screams threw with me.
muddbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

How's the build going, any progress so far?