Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: new scaler build advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 04:41 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default new scaler build advice

Hey everybody, I have been looking around a bit but figured i would ask for some advice as I have never messed with scale RC. I do have an in progress comp build but this scaler is for my ladies birthday (she loves accessories).

I have been collecting some parts would love some input on what i have and what i should get. What i have been thinking about lately is whether or not i should start her out with 1.9 or 2.2, i know 2.2 is easier but im worried she will get bored and with the 1.9 im worries she will get frustrated and give up. I am also not sure if i should use a 4 link front and rear or leafs in the rear.

What i have so far
stock scx chassis
RC4WD trex60 axles (these are scale gm 14b axles right?)
1.9 deadbolt wheels and 2.2 gmade beadlocks
axial icon shocks

Planned:
axial trans
Gmade drive shafts
pig snot bumpers

The scale realism isnt a huge priority because she will not be competing any time soon. Any constructive input/advice would be appreciated
onebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: new scaler build advice

My suggestion is buy her a scx10 rtr, deadbolt, jeep, whatever she prefers. You may be surprised at what it can do. Then build yourself one, out of parts you have on hand , or purchase.
Then you have a baseline to compare to.

The Rex axles are notoriously weak, due to housing flex.
Ssd sells scx housing replacements that look just like d60 axles and are as strong or stronger than the stock housing, plus they take all of the scx upgrades.
1.9 tires is where it is at IMO
1.9 tires go with 1.9 wheels, same with 2.2.

If the two of you trail together the only frustration will be if you can conquer an obstacle easily and she cannot, so I recommend building your rigs with similar capabilities.
It is a blast to trail with the woman you love.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I did buy the axles before doing research but all i could find after i bought them was people saying about the C's. I will be on the lookout for some scx axles though just incase.

I know a scale style chassis will probably never be quite as capable as a comp rig and i was thinking a 4 link front and rear with some 2.2 wheels/tires might level the playing feild a little.... maybe i will end up letting her use the comp rig more.

thanks for the input
onebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Dan
My son can go a lot of the places I go if I drive my shafty, when I drive my scx10 he's has 1.9s that are within a few mms of my 2.2 so he dose fine. If you're worried about the axles see if you can trade them / sell them. I haven't seen the trex ones brake tho
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote

new scaler build advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some advice about a possible scaler KROGOTH General Scale Talk 9 06-04-2011 08:08 AM
first build ....need advice YelloTJ 2.2 Scale Rigs 61 02-04-2011 09:10 AM
Scaler newb seeks electronics advice scraps Newbie General 2 01-27-2011 09:13 AM
Nubie needs advice on axles for scaler. RC_Scaler Newbie General 6 02-28-2010 07:47 AM