RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Scale Talk (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-scale-talk/)
-   -   Bringing a Mounty back from the Dead?? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-scale-talk/342811-bringing-mounty-back-dead.html)

bookite03 10-17-2011 01:00 AM

Bringing a Mounty back from the Dead??

First, an introduction...

I'm new to the forum, been out of the hobby for the last 8 years or so...funny how a drivers license changes everything :lmao:
Long story short, stopped in at the LHS the other day, spotted the Axial SCX10 among others, and found that the Rock Crawlers and Scale Rigs have really come a loooooong ways since I was last into the hobby. Needless to say I've already ordered up an SCX10 to get started crawling and building :)

Here's my Question:
I've got a 90% or so complete Tamiya Mountaineer that I received as a gift about 10 years ago. At the time, I didn't know a bunch about the trucks, it was complete, played with it a little...then I decided I'd try and "restore" it...bad idea:roll: Eventually lost interest and moved on to other things. Most the parts ended up in a couple boxes on the shelf and well the rest is history.
Fast-Forward to today, found the boxes of Mounty parts and started going through them...most the truck is complete, mainly minus body cosmetics, king-pin/hub strap, front motor/body mount etc...
Here's what I've got:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...11016-2237.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...11016-2236.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...11016-2236.jpg

As much as I'd love to bring this truck back to factory stock, as I know I won't be able to leave it on the shelf as a conversation piece. I'd like to be able to make build this guy back up into a truck I'm not afraid to run around in the dirt and through some rocks, but most of all...keep it RELIABLE and SIMPLE. I also would like to keep it resembling the original Mounty form as best as possible.

It seems the aftermarket has seemed to jump all over this Scale stuff and there are a ton of options out there for me. I've done a lot of reading and looking at numerous builds you guys have done. I'm just not sure where to start and the best way to get this project going in the right direction?

Any help, suggestions etc is appreciated!

Thanks

1BadJeepBruiser 10-17-2011 06:44 PM

Step 1: Sell axles, transmission on ebay

Step 2: Make flat belly cross member, install axial trans or similiar

step 3: Ultimate yota axles from RC4WD using funds from sold stock stuff

step 4: cut body mounts down and get body as low as possible with interior just barely clearing transmission

step 5:install 1.55 wheels/tires and enjoy new awesome scaleness "thumbsup""thumbsup"

If you need more help let me know 8)

-Mike

rckjeep 10-17-2011 08:31 PM

Ya what Mike said. I did the exact same thing (except 1.9 rolling stock) to a Mountaineer I got in a trade a few years ago that if I remember correctly Mike owns. I'll let him post a pic since it looks better now than it did when I had it.

bookite03 10-17-2011 09:09 PM

Thanks for the help and info guys, much appreciated!

Still feeling a little overwhelmed with how everything has changed and evolved since the last time I worked on this rig. RC4wd.com looks to be one of the best places to pick-up most the stuff I need to get going. What about where to find a suitable transmission setup as well as any info getting the cross-member setup correctly for my drive-line angles etc?
Forgive my Noob questions, if there's a FAQ or Sticky that I can get most the info in I'd really appreciate it.

I really like the RC4wd Yota Axles :) Will they literally "bolt-up" to the stock suspension/steering? Also would like to get some more flex out of the stock springs, upgrade the tired stock shocks and build some mounts as well.

Either way, looks like I will be spending a good chunk of change getting things going, but will be worth it when its back rolling again. I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions as things progress...just need to put together a solid build list!

Thanks again guys!

1BadJeepBruiser 10-18-2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bookite03 (Post 3332863)
Thanks for the help and info guys, much appreciated!

Still feeling a little overwhelmed with how everything has changed and evolved since the last time I worked on this rig. RC4wd.com looks to be one of the best places to pick-up most the stuff I need to get going. What about where to find a suitable transmission setup as well as any info getting the cross-member setup correctly for my drive-line angles etc?
Forgive my Noob questions, if there's a FAQ or Sticky that I can get most the info in I'd really appreciate it.

I really like the RC4wd Yota Axles :) Will they literally "bolt-up" to the stock suspension/steering? Also would like to get some more flex out of the stock springs, upgrade the tired stock shocks and build some mounts as well.

Either way, looks like I will be spending a good chunk of change getting things going, but will be worth it when its back rolling again. I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions as things progress...just need to put together a solid build list!

Thanks again guys!

There is a bruiser sticky in one of the scale sections but its a little bit dated.

Your best bet for a cross member is a "chino skid" rcpcrawlers used to sell them not sure if they still do. If you can't find one making a flat belly to go across the frame is easy enough. Transmissions are entirely up to you. Back in the day we used to use stampede transmissions but that was before axials or rc4wd r2s were readily available. I like to use r2s or a divorce set up because it allows me to have a very scale interior with drop floor.

The rc4wd axles should bolt up right up. Keep the stock springs and "chino mod" them. You'll notice the name chino comes up a lot that's because Dean has been building/wheeling/destroying bruisers for as long as I have been living. If you look up chino63 be sure to check out his "real scale crawler". Some rc4wd ultimate scale shocks would go nicely but you'll need to make mounts for the front and drill the one rear cross member.

Look through threads started by me and find my chino clone. If you ask some of the long term members here it was a pretty serious build in it's time and it kept evolving over the years until I sold it to build my 1:1 rig.