Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Is there a trick to....??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation Is there a trick to....??

Is there a trick to getting your tire not to rub on the body but still have a scale looking body height??

Im going to use the same chassi as dezfan's,the grunt. i havent got it yet so im not to sure if the tires will rub the body. i wanna run a hpi bronco body and i got imex g-hawgs thinking the skinny-ness will prevent rub. also i have g made wheel wideners but i dont know if im gunna use them.

i have seen tons of un-hacked TLT broncos so i know it can be done i just am not to sure how.

HMMMMM..i quess im just gunna have to wait and see. maybe i might have to cut the front and back of the body then bolt or glue them closer together.....if you guys know what im saying.....

....post any ideas of tips you guys have used or know of....

thanks
CreepyCrawler88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You can design your suspension (or limit it) so that the tire tucks perfectly into whatever wheel opening you have. Most of the time, that much articulation will be realistic and perform quite well. You dont need tons.

Ryan
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:32 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Well, you can -

Cut/mod the body, but too much ruins the scale look.
Run smaller tires, but too small hinders performance.
Limit your articulation, but too little decreases capability.

It may also help if you set up your suspension to have some droop. That way, at rest the body will sit lower, but under articulation the low side will extend giving you a little more flex without having the rig all jacked up.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:47 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I thought of maybe running harder shocks so it doesnt flex as much..?..?? i have the rc4wd internal spring shocks but they are really stiff and i filled two with 25 shock oil but it didnt change that much. i might ty softer then see how it is. or i was gunna use piggy backs, there pretty soft.

i think im gunna try limiting straps at first, so i dont have to hack the body

maybe if i have to cut the body alot i will fab up a body cage to still try to preserve a scale look. just try to make a scale-ish looking alum one they bolt ot to the body!!
Old 05-22-2006, 11:10 PM   #5
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

It's all about suspension design and rim offset.

Take a look at my Scale halfcab bronco. It climbs with the best of them.

Scale Halfcab Bronco
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:26 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

setting your suspention ith droop will help...

liek badger said offset is another thing

on my silverado trucks the smaller one i used an offset that allows the tires to tuck into the body

on the larger one my suspention is set in a manner that at ride height my shocks are allready halfway compressed, what this allowes us downward suspention movement.. still the same travel amount.. just not all of it is going into the body
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawler88
I thought of maybe running harder shocks so it doesnt flex as much..?..?? i have the rc4wd internal spring shocks but they are really stiff and i filled two with 25 shock oil but it didnt change that much. i might ty softer then see how it is. or i was gunna use piggy backs, there pretty soft.

maybe if i have to cut the body alot i will fab up a body cage to still try to preserve a scale look. just try to make a scale-ish looking alum one they bolt ot to the body!!
you can swap out those springs for some softer ones off of a losi mini t or something similiar and like the rest said, I'd set it up with some droop. Most of scale rigs are set up like that

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:37 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

the team losi mini t springs fit the rc4wd internal shocks.... wow i didnt know that!! thanks alot that help me!!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawler88
!
limiting straps are not gonna help you.
Crawlsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:52 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Let it rub. My TLT is 12 in. and fits perfect over the wheels little rubbin does'nt hurt it also tucks nicley up in the fender-wels. I run tamiya touring car shocks.
SPECIAL ED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:03 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Narrow track width, more droop than compression, and some weight in the wheels to compensate for the decrease in stability from the reduced width. 3 oz. per wheel or a little more, depending on the design of the chassis.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Limiting straps wont stop your up travel (tires rubbing the body) they only stop down travel. perhaps some bump stops? Stopping your tire at a certain point and it then rotates inwards instead of going up. It won't limit down travel though, so it works. It would be just like a 1:1 scale suspension. Tire offset does play a large part as well though, like mentioned.
cherokee xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:02 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

man F-this ..... i bought a comp chassi for comps not to try to make look real!!, and now im trying to change it into something its not or will not look like. the only reason why i ever thought of making my tlt a scale rig was because i got free g hawg tire, so really my idea was to build up around the tires. dumb idea !!

beside i was in the middle of working on a scale rubi based clod ''tubie-Rubi". so for now im gunna stick to my OG plans!! thanks to everyone for all the help
Old 05-24-2006, 08:13 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

hey are you getting a chassie from rd400?
sniders1975 is offline   Reply With Quote