Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Childhood interest resparked?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Childhood interest resparked?

Ok. So this is a very nerdy post. I felt the general scale talk would be the best area to discuss this.
I was just watching my son play with his might world camping action figures and it reminded me how I used to play make believe when I was a child. I played with legos a lot. I used to pretend that I had a shrink ray that would shrink me down to lego man size. So to prepare for the shrinking I would build houses, trucks, boats, etc that I would be able to use for survival when I was shrunk. I would go into detail about needing it to be secure from predators, because after all at 1 inch tall you are no longer the top of the food chain. Means of keeping warm at night in a lego house. And stuff such as that.
So this brings me to my reason for posting here. I was considering building a vehicle for ''1/10 scale man" to relive these childhood memories. Also maybe get my boy using his imagination to the extent I did. This would not be a scale build like what is being built in this scaled section, but it would definitely be a scale build. A real 7'' man would need things like a steering wheel, doors, sleeping bags, cooler, winch... But also need things like predator proofing, water proof cab, storage for hunting tools. What does everyone think?
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Childhood interest resparked?

sounds like a new "honey i shrunk the kids" sequel...... could be a cool build tho...
brandonwalsh420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I also like haveing a "back story" for my builds, and will spend a lot of time in lineups or when I can't sleep dreaming up scenarios.

For example my current buld is a military willys:

and here's the back-story:

Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It's really cool passing the hobby down. I've had a transmitter of some sort in my house since 1978, probably before a lot of people here were even born. The word "Scale" has a lot of different meanings to everyone. It's really what's in your mind that makes it Scale........Build-On!!!!
ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Honey I shrunk the kids I'm sure is a very big inspiration to these child hood fantasys. That movie came out when I was six. Also books like Indian in the cuboard, and some book with a mini knight and his castle.

Agreed. Scale can mean lots of stuff.

And mud puppy, back stories are always important when consuming yourself in a project. Sad thing is video games make the back stories for our youth now days.

So my main idea was to build a honcho being that they are the correct size for a 7" person and boxing it the cab so that would protected from the elements. How do you think a lexan body would hold up in against a dog attack? Do you think that bigger animals, such as bears or wolfs, would leave a rc vehicle alone with a mouse size creature inside of it?
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

no RC body will survive anything larger than a chiwawa.

You can get sound modules for horns, machine guns, engines, and so on that could be used to scare animals. I'd bet HeyOK's switching circuit for lights could double as a switch for the sound module.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Hey! Toyotatrucks83, here is a little inspiration for you, Uncle Fred's TLT axle shop truck
I intend getting back to completing this project, and add some more stuff to the shop, it all started as an idea for just a photo backdrop, and I got a little carried away.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote

Childhood interest resparked? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lost RC from my childhood Jer Chit Chat 3 11-27-2010 05:00 PM