Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: castle SV2 had crawler mode??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
ahhh S^*T

Default castle SV2 had crawler mode??

ok so what the hell.. I just bought a Castle link for the first time and when i hooked it in to my laptop it told me i could use
"214% drag brake/crawler", and then in advanced setting it has a "Crawler Mode"?? I have never heard of or seen this in a thread OR anytime I have owned a castle esc...

is this a new deal?? have they had this for long? do you know what Im talking about?

so now.. whats the point of getting an ever so popular HH or Wraith ESC for twice as much as an SV2 when THIS one can run brushed, 3s lipo and brushless all in one esc??

I got this guy for 50 buks new and now that its setup in crawler mode its awesome, i didnt know they had a hold brake like it does its really strong. my rig weighs a big 10.5 pounds and it holds it NP..

ok thats all from me just wondering if Im onto something new or just behind in knowledge (USUALLY THE CASE)... I suck at the search thingy

thank
AxialJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Old news, been avail for a few updates.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: castle SV2 had crawler mode??

the HH BR-XL is based off the SW and can run 6s, the SW can't....if your not worried bout running brushless go with HH BR-XL in waterproof from john ........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The brxl is the ticket if you're running more than 3s and it has a better bec. Other than that a sw sv2 isn't bad. Crawler mode is just instant forward/reverse.. the 214% drag has been there for a few updates now.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Suck it up!

I believe the brxl also has a better drag brake, the famous "Holmes Hold".
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

the drag brake on my sv2 when its in crawler mode is 230%
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:09 AM   #7
ahhh S^*T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc597 View Post
the drag brake on my sv2 when its in crawler mode is 230%

oh maybe thats it then...

so I figured it was old news just thought id ask.

and yeah crawler mode IS just instant f/r, I just havent had a CC esc for some time now and havent gotten one because it never had this b4... now I love it!

I dont see the need for more hold brake than this has, or maybe its my motor but it will NOT move at neut. throt.

I wont run more than 3s on my rigs, with a 7T puller thats almost too much wheel speed, I dont see the point in 4 or more cells anyway no matter what motor you run... really, 6s?? why? is it better? dont get me wrong I know the Holmes products and LOVE them and would recomend them anytime, I use a lot of his stuff, but is 4-5-or-6 cells really needed?

anyways thanks for the replies people
Old 04-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The SV2 looks good if you go by it's stats.

My real world experience is that three of them died running 2s with mild 35-55 turn motors in an SCX over the course of four monthes. Because I had waterproofed them, none were able to be warrenteed.

I firmly believe that you save money in the long run by purchasing quality electronics the first time around. My SCX now has a Holmes BRXL, and I can't say enough good things about it. The "Holmes Hold" is more than just drag break, it is precise motor movement. If you give it a little throttle to creep, and then come down a steep incline the ESC holds the motor at that precise creep your looking for. It's hard to describe, but easy to detect once your using it.

If you do research, others are killing them with virtually any brushed motor and 3s power. Plus, you can't use the internal BEC with 3s, the ESC just brownouts.

I do have one surviving SV2 living with a 3800 4 pole Castle motor in a Rustler, but it's only rated for 2s with the 4 pole motor. IMO, the SV2 is intended for light weight 2wd bashers running brushless and 2s. Asking more from it virtually guarantees failure.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

i've had my sv2 for quite a while now..but it's only been in my crawler for a few weeks now..before that it was in my sons hpi blitz..i've only used it on 2s, but thats all thats allowed for racing, and i don't plan on using 3s..at the moment anyways..but i have a cc bec on it in my crawler..i'll have to keep up with it and see how long it lasts..im happy with it for now though..
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I'm glad your happy with the SV2... I hope it serves you well.. For me? Buying one was the biggest nightmare I've ever encountered since I got into RC and I don't like to get into it anymore than that, makes my blood pressure go up.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #11
ahhh S^*T

so thats whats going on when i go trail riding and Im about 20 minutes in it will just stop and the servo will start pulsing bis and no power to the motor.... very odd but you talk about brownouts?? I did notice the internal BEC SUX.. i run a hitech 7954sh and its not putting out even cklose to 300 oz's i dont think.. maybe like 200..

maybe i should get a BEC??

Im runnin a 7T puller on 3s and I really do like the throttle control I have, just sux when it "Brownouts".

I know the BRXL is good, everyone loves them.. and it pays off buying good stuff the first time yes, but i have to say I LOVE my HK100 amp brushless ESC, its water tight from factory, has a helluva good drag brake, lotsa power and good BEC and 4s capable.. had that thing for about 3 years now and it has never ever had one problem. maybe luck???

I may take the dive and get a HH brxl

thanks for the info
Old 05-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

You need a bec with a sv2 on 3s and your 7954 puts out 333oz of torque at 6v and 403oz at 7.4v and even at the 5v internal bec it is still putting out close to 260oz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote

castle SV2 had crawler mode?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Castle Sv2 shwng1973 Newbie General 1 09-19-2011 09:40 PM
Castle - SV2 issue hung0417 Electronics 21 08-07-2011 12:09 PM
Siderwinder SV2 Castle link help. headhunter555 Electronics 1 05-06-2011 10:30 PM
Castle Creations Sidewinder SV2 KC_JoNeS Electronics 20 03-05-2011 06:20 AM