Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: ☆ Junfac/Gmade XD Piggyback shock review ☆

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
Fan of wheelspeed

Lightbulb ☆ Junfac/Gmade XD Piggyback shock review ☆

Well, I saw one of the guys post a link to these about a week ago and it was love at first sight, had to have them. So, I bought em.
They come in a bag (two shocks per bag) and need ALOT of assembly. I chose the 93mm Piggyback XD over the standard non-piggyback version.

Got directions? When I saw this I thought, "Holy sh!t man. I wanted shocks, not another kit." But the directions aren't that extensive, just very precise. They cover all angles here. So if you make a mistake during assembly It's because you cant read.

First up, you assemble the pistons and the shock end caps. The end caps are a combo of silicone washers and plastic spacers to allow the shaft to glide through the end cap. You get 3 different discs to choose from to adjust the flow rate of the piston. I chose the three hole discs.

Next up, you assemble the shock body itself. These go together very well. So far quality and craftsmanship is spot on with these.

The reservoirs are very nice. They are thick and high quality, just like the rest of the shock. The screw at the bottom of the res allows you to adjust the pressure inside the shock. The further in you screw it, the more pressure they have.

Finally, I slid on the bump stops, threaded on the ends and installed the springs. I then washed off any oil that I got on them during assembly and applied the decals.

These shocks are VERY smooth. They have plenty of travel, and so much adjustability that they should work on any application. My opinion...these shocks are a solid 8 out of 10 if not a little better. They send enough oil to build 3 sets of these things, so if you spill some you've got a ton to fall back on. I used half of a bottle to do all four shocks and I've still got a whole unopened bottle from the other bag. They send a few extras just in case you lose something during assembly, and everything is clearly labeled/marked for cross referencing the directions. I just bought and tried the Gmade Transitions, the Gmade TS02's and now these. I'll say this much for Junfac and Gmade, they can build a nice shock. The TS02 is the most realistic shock out there IMO, and the Transitions are as smooth as butta. These are the crowning achievement in the collection. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Last edited by Hoosierdady; 06-20-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #2

Thanks for the review! Now im sold. Definatly going to buy some for my project.
keith179150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: ☆ Junfac/Gmade XD Piggyback shock review ☆

Can you snap a pic of one next to a stock SCX-10 shock?

Thanks.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I can relate to the love at first sight comment these are great looking shocks, and they are defiantly going on my wraith based rig. Thanks for the write up. I am curious if you have put them on your rig, and if so how do you like them? Also if you don't mind how much does said rig weigh? I only ask because my current scaler is a pig and I am having trouble finding shock/spring combo that work well and I suspect these will be just the ticket.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith179150 View Post
Thanks for the review! Now im sold. Definatly going to buy some for my project.
I love these things. The piggy back/res can make for a headache in tight fitting areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoungette View Post
Thanks.
Sorry man, but I dont have any scx10 shocks. Savage00 did a little writeup and he has a pic of the two side by side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan View Post
I can relate to the love at first sight comment these are great looking shocks, and they are defiantly going on my wraith based rig. Thanks for the write up. I am curious if you have put them on your rig, and if so how do you like them? Also if you don't mind how much does said rig weigh? I only ask because my current scaler is a pig and I am having trouble finding shock/spring combo that work well and I suspect these will be just the ticket.
I have not got them on my rig yet. The truck is still in project stage. But I'll say this for them. Having the adjustable pressure would make them ideal for heavy trucks IMO. Just boost the inside pressure by tightening the screw and it pushes the shock piston back out on its own without any help from the spring. There are two ways to adjust these shocks, the springs, and turning up the pressure. Here's a video of a assembly and demonstration of how they work. xd_piggyback_shock.mpg - YouTube
Old 06-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoungette View Post

Thanks.
X2.....I am looking into getting these shocks, and wanna see how they compare to stock.
massRCdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by massRCdude View Post
X2.....I am looking into getting these shocks, and wanna see how they compare to stock.
Here is a pic from the thread mentioned above...

btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Great write up!!! Just judging from the photo I would think that you could use normal comp truck springs to help with the heavier trucks.
darkmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

The borrowed pic is extremely helpful for fitting these monsters on our rigs. Thanks for the write up and breakdown of the shocks. Definitely a future buy.
Nvghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
Fan of wheelspeed

Got em on. Just from bench testing I'd have to say that they are very smooth and solid. I love em. They are of course big up top with the res up there. But the cool factor overrides the top heavy-ness.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Default Junfac/Gmade XD Piggyback shock review

What's the purpose of the red knob on the piggy back?
black-hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Default Re: Junfac/Gmade XD Piggyback shock review

Quote:
Originally Posted by black-hawk View Post
What's the purpose of the red knob on the piggy back?
It's a bleeder screw.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I want to buy these but I don't see replacement o rings for them anywhere. I see a rebuild kit that looks like 3 plastic parts trees but no silicon o rings. What happens when it's time for a rebuild thanks?
FloridaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:41 AM   #14

I have a set of the 93mm xd piggybacks on my RGT ex86100. They rock. In order to solve the clearance issues fitting them to the more scaler style shock mounts, I made a couple of spacers from .22 casings cut to 3/8" and longer screws. Now i can say I have custom brass parts on my rig! For those attempting at home please make sure the case has already been fired before you try cutting it to size ;)
PunkRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

☆ Junfac/Gmade XD Piggyback shock review ☆ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
☆ Homeless Hobbies "Dumpster Diver" TTC LUX build ☆ ScaleDustin 1.9 Scale Rigs 100 12-12-2012 06:37 PM
☆ Apocalyptic H3 SUT ☆ Hoosierdady 2.2 Scale Rigs 62 08-03-2012 07:35 AM
Junfac Gmade XD Piggyback Shock 103mm josborne024 Axial SCX-10 6 06-19-2012 06:34 AM
Gmade XD Piggyback Shock demonut 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 06-10-2012 08:23 AM