Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: roll cage design opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default roll cage design opinions

I've found a bit of motivation to get the roll cage done on my current 1/6th scale Willys jeep build. I have the skeleton of the roll cage brazed together, now I'm working on the triangulation for strength but I also want to make it appealing to eye as much as possible.

I'm playing around with ideas for the rear portion to get shape that has some rounded corners like the main cage but still gives it strength. I have no doubt that this jeep will test the cage many times, I'm always shocked that the cage in the orange Jeep hasn't collapsed yet!

Here's where I'm at.

You can see that I added some diagonal braces from the curved section of the rear kickers that tie into the lower part of the main bar, this give it plenty of strength from folding in a 'end over end' roll over. Now I need to brace for diagonal forces so I tried the curved upper brace and it's just held in there w/ a zip tie right now.

My problem is, I had the curved brace switched around so the the center of it was in the middle of the main roll bar and the legs tied into the rear corners of the kickers. I could duplicate this shape and tie in the front section of the cage to the main bar and it would have a nice shape to it, sort of a nice flowing 'X' shape but then the upper spreader bar in the rear of the cage has no strength to keep it from pushing down towards the body in a roll over. I don't want to have diagonal struts that would support the spreader bar so I almost have to flip the curved upper brace like it shows in the pics.

I'm not completely sold on this shape so I'm asking for feedback of ideas to triangulating with out having a jungle gym of tubing everywhere.

Thanks for any ideas!

Last edited by BigSki; 06-28-2012 at 07:33 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

roll cage design opinions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roll Cage/Exo Cage? ZackMicF Paint and Body 6 07-04-2012 06:19 AM
roll cage itamardagan Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 12-08-2004 08:15 AM
Roll Cage Nathan XTM Crawler 5 10-27-2004 04:47 PM