Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Scale Driving..am I the only one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Scale Driving..am I the only one?

Ive been watching alot of "scale" videos lately..trail runs and such, and noticed in alot of them the driving isnt anywhere close to being really "scale"..too fast or jumping over things etc..the trucks for the most part really look the part but the driving really seems to ruin the scale effect..baffles me as to why so much work is put into the vehicles but it all goes out the window on the trails,,for me thats part of the whole "scale fascination"..I drive as scale as I can..not too much speed and not crawling over something that a full 1:1 vehicle couldnt do..some thing cant be controlled body bounce etc but for the most part I drive as scale as I can. Just curious if I'm the only one that does this and wondering how everyone else drives their rigs. Just thought I'd toss this topic out their and see what happens.

JC
DieselJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: Scale Driving..am I the only one?

I prefer to push my rigs to the limit... which true scale terrain does not offer.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

oh god...

your not friends with that "talon" a-hole from scale4x4 are you??

he was always dogging/bitchn at people for not scale driving in theyr video's.

if im filming just me..yes ill try to drive as scale as possible.
until scale just doesnt cut it and i have to hammer down to get over/around an obstacle.

if im with a group..its harder to keep everyone in the same mind set
to drive slow and scale.
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
RCC Addict

^^ What he said! There are times and situations where carefully clawing your way up/over/through obstacles is best, and adds to the challenge and fun. Tire placement and a light throttle finger usually gets you there. But sometimes it's just fun (or necessary) to unleash the power and smoke 'em . Like johnnyh66, I sometimes push my rigs well beyond what a 1:1 could handle, as in a scaler attempting comp crawler terrain. It's just amazing what these little trucks can do sometimes.

Last edited by TrailDawg362; 11-12-2012 at 10:44 AM.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Me for the most part , I drive the snot out my vehicles. Just not thru water! Outside that I keep it as real life and scale as it gets. Sometimes fast and sometimes slow and for sure! When I do start filming my rigs, they will reflect me in way possible on how I drive!
17dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Scale Detail Engineering

Here's my run from our last "scale" comp.
It was extra relaxed because only 4of us were ready to start the season...
Ignore my cheater winch (or lack of), we generally do not allow such shenanigans.

To me, this is way more fun than a true scale run:
EDIT:
It won't embed.

http://youtu.be/UNFrq_EIEU4
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Tear it up, Rip it up, shred tires and cook a motor...or two! and thats scale "DRIVING." You should see my 1:1.....Thats how we do in the Desert. Besides, Thats what sets scalers apart from the crawlers...
scottanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP View Post
oh god...

your not friends with that "talon" a-hole from scale4x4 are you??

he was always dogging/bitchn at people for not scale driving in theyr video's.

if im filming just me..yes ill try to drive as scale as possible.
until scale just doesnt cut it and i have to hammer down to get over/around an obstacle.

if im with a group..its harder to keep everyone in the same mind set
to drive slow and scale.

Nope dont know the guy..just askin a question..was curious..hell to be honest ive gotten more out of this forumn than that one I think.

Thanks for the replies!

JC
Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
Here's my run from our last "scale" comp.
It was extra relaxed because only 4of us were ready to start the season...
Ignore my cheater winch (or lack of), we generally do not allow such shenanigans.

To me, this is way more fun than a true scale run:
EDIT:
It won't embed.

Johnny at First Comp 11-12 - YouTube

Cool looking Bug body..looks like a nice place to run too..Thanks for sharin!

JC
Old 11-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Agreed with all above - I don't see the point in "driving scale". Most of the terrain I've seen described as scale a Honda civic could roll over.
To me scale is making a real looking truck pull lines that it shouldn't. Same as 1:1.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I have to agree with the original poster. I like to take it easy, with proper tire placement. It is relaxing building these things, and it's relaxing to watch and drive them. If I want balls out, I will drive one of my other vehicles that's designed to go fast. But that's jut me...
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Here is a vid that needed slow and fast due to the trail conditions. HD HD HD

X2ss iroks doing work! Custom jeep scaler - YouTube

But yes depending on the situation I do like to drive scale. Bit there are times a lead foot is required. "When in doubt, Throttle out!"
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I don't go for the scale look but everyone has there preference my mates and I challenge each other to see who has the best rig and that throws scale completely out the window.. Much more fun to
CiLyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Depends on mood and situation/terrain, 1.55's on a CC-01 or my trail finder1 with links and old associated shocks and hard body, I go slow and deliberate. 1.9's on my scx for hill limbs and all round trailing. Any time you get a group of people together the need for some people to get the attention causes extreme driving. I call it "The Wraith Crowd Syndrome".
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I like to drive my scale trucks realistically. If it's a shiny new truck or one that's been restored I'm not going to drag it across the rocks or crash it into trees. If it's a beater type of trail rig I'll be a bit rough with it. But I'm still not going to intentionally wreck my hard work for fun. That's ridiculous. I'm especially not going to do it to impress my friends or people on the internet. I think people enjoy watching my realistic videos too. Keep in mind, even though I try to drive normally, these RC trucks are far more capable than their full size counterparts.

Driving slow is fun. It's also cheaper. I run 35t and 45t motors on 2S in all of my rigs. I've never striped a transmission or broken a drive shaft. I've also never broken an axle shaft, stripped a spur gear or burned up an ESC. And I've built and driven a lot of scale trucks. You will never see anything made out of titanium on my rigs. It's simply unnecessary for what I do.

In closing, I like trucks and I don't like to scratch my toys.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #16
SuperShafty.com

i hand build my rigs from scratch. i put a lot of time and effort into making them look as scale as possible.

funny thing is the first time i ran one of my scaler homemade rigs was at a comp, and within 1 minute i had broken off the smoke stacks, ripped the bed off and COULD NOT keep my finger off the throttle. i was pegging the throttle in reverse and forward trying to do wheelies and all sorts of non scale things with my Bobbed Deuce.

when i am doing a scale comp, i run the crap outta the thing. when i am just trail riding with some friends i try to take it easy, but man they are toys, so yes we do have drag races, jumps, and all sorts of little dumb things.
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Agreed, normally I'm only using enough wheel speed as necessary... But during a scale comp and on a timed course, I'm a bit pegged between obstacles/gates.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I'm with dieselJC on this one. Driving my machines as realistic as possible is what makes it fun. I operate them just as I do my 1:1 put it in low and make it sweet. When I was younger, I knew some guys that said if they didn't break something they didn't have fun. I guess they had more money than sense. It's interesting how I would end up in the same place without damage to my vehicle.
adamsfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Agreed, normally I'm only using enough wheel speed as necessary... But during a scale comp and on a timed course, I'm a bit pegged between obstacles/gates.
I had my "Go Fast " attitude going on the first comp of my crawler life....was a little white knuckled trying to complete the course in an allotted time...given that, how can you do a scale crawl ???

Diesel :

To whom do you question scale anything...videos or competitions...??? Or both ?? Totally confused

Let me edit a bit....I would rather do a scale crawl
rather than have to go balls out to complete a course

Last edited by Postclanker; 11-12-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I think the lines are blurring. Just because some of us don't drive scale doesn't mean we drive like crazy fools bashing into trees and rocks.
Just like 1:1s I always try the lines that should be impossible. If that ends in breakage so be it, it should be built stronger. But what I have seen that most Call "scale driving" is like driving on the sidewalk.
I can respect someone not wanting to scratch something they spent time and money on but that doesn't mean I understand it.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote

Scale Driving..am I the only one? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
who's DRIVING your scale rig?action figures chicostaxxs007 Scale Accessories 333 08-15-2023 03:59 PM
Scale driving TAT76 General Scale Talk 44 10-22-2010 10:45 AM
gearing for under driving and over driving the diffs ax10oz Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 04-12-2010 08:52 PM
Anyone driving from Ga? TattooKenny Past RCCA qualifiers 0 07-05-2009 04:03 AM