Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Scale Trophy Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #1

Default Scale Trophy Truck

I'm kicking the idea around of building a scale 4x4 trophy truck. Now I've seen plenty short course RC trucks with added lights or rear spare tires and BAM there is a trophy truck. But I'm wanting a detailed interior. Also to me, part of being "scale" should also include getting the drive train and suspension true to the rear thing as possible. So I want a solid rear axle.

I've thought about the Twin Hammer. It's very close out of the box to the platform I'm wanting. I'd have to mod the front to get rid of the lay down shocks. But I think modding a short course body to fit one would be intensive.

I'm also looking at the Axial Exo. But I don't know about modding the rear end with a solid axle and suspension links. What solid axle would fit?

Any advise is welcome.

Thanks
M n M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Scale Trophy Truck

Wraith Rear Axle, .........EXO Front End, .......
Search Ultra 4, Wrexo, Wraitho, EXOwraith, and some of the good ones will come up. Id like to see a detailed short course thou. Id like to see your take on it..
scottanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Tropht truck layout reference

for layout reference..
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Here is my build...basically a trophy truck set up with rear links, solid axle, front IFS with 4wd

mojave450rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I made this a few years ago. Szczerba's Trophy Truck Build.. With Videos

Just search "trophy" here on RCC and on google images. You'll find some inspirations.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #6

Ok, thanks for the help guys. You've got me heading in the right direction. I don't know why I couldn't find much at first, but once I started searching for "Wrexo", all kinds of photos and posts started popping up.

I don't have the skill or tools to do a custom cage like Mojave450rider did. Which looks great BTW. So I think I'll stick with the cage that comes the kit.

While searching I did find where guys are taking the IFS from an EXO and putting it on a Wraith. Does anyone know the benefit of this over modding an EXO with a Wraith rear end?

Either way, Axial looks like the way to go on this project. Now to figure out how to fund it. I may have to sell my E Maxx and or my 4x4 Hyper. Although I would keep the motor and ESC from the Hyper.

For the body I'm thinking I may have to take one meant for a short course truck, cut it up into section, trim where needed and do some custom mounting.
M n M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Wow I'm totally digging that custom chassis! I'd say put in different shock mount positions on the front end you currently have to give a bit of adjust-ability. Rear end shock towers are on the way....this build is going to be sick!

Subscribed!!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Cheap = TH
Money = Wrexo
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

If your going to do an Exo front end let me know I have a bunch of front end parts left over.

It really doesn't take and fancy tools to make a cage just basic stuff, tube bender, round file, tube cutter or hacksaw, vise, torch, brazing rods. I really don't even measure the cage while making it I just start at a base point and start throwing tubes at it and if it doesn't turn out how I like it then I re-do it til I like the look.

Just gotta give it a shot you never know it just might be exactly what you had envisioned in you head? Also it's way better to build it then buy it!

Good luck

Last edited by mojave450rider; 05-11-2013 at 03:28 PM.
mojave450rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Scale Trophy Truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM
Scale Trophy Truck ZoSo Scale Videos! 9 07-13-2010 03:52 PM
1/6 scale Baja Trophy Truck Tuber STANG KILLA SS Large Scale Rigs 57 10-11-2009 12:26 PM
Trophy Truck VS Stadium Truck? KROGOTH Chit Chat 14 08-21-2009 09:18 PM