Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: RC4WD K44&D44 Axle Comparisons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #1

Default RC4WD K44&D44 Axle Comparisons

Hey, new to the forums and trying to build my first rig. I went with a GCM Skeleton Chassis meant to fit the RC4WD K44 Axles. I now see that they recently came out with a set of "D44" Axles in two different sizes, using Axial internals.

Is the D44 simply a modular K44 with axial internals? Are the Axial internals better craftsmanship? Or is it more of a gear ratio thing? Material? Are the link mounts different? Hard to tell from the pictures on the website, they seem to not be showing up in the right format...

Someone please explain to me all the differences between these two axles! Probably just gonna go with the K44s anyway, because thats what the kit calls for, but I would still like to know the difference between the two...

Last edited by JKWrangler; 12-01-2014 at 11:39 AM.
JKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: RC4WD K44&D44 Axle Comparisons

The K44 is a proprietary "RTR" axle. Meaning you don't have to build it out of the packages. You can only use RC4WD gears and axle shafts with it.

The D44 axles are newer and go along with the VP Curries. Just another choice for scale axles that use all Axial gears and lockers- axle shafts may work too, but I haven't seen that confirmed yet. The reason why they use an Axial gear set is because you can tune your gear ratios to get an underdrive or overdrive in your axles. The K44, you're stuck with what you have (except the helical gear upgrade). The Axial gear set will also reduce torque twist that the smaller K44 gear set can produce.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

D44's have proprietary rc4wd shafts.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
The K44 is a proprietary "RTR" axle. Meaning you don't have to build it out of the packages. You can only use RC4WD gears and axle shafts with it.

The D44 axles are newer and go along with the VP Curries. Just another choice for scale axles that use all Axial gears and lockers- axle shafts may work too, but I haven't seen that confirmed yet. The reason why they use an Axial gear set is because you can tune your gear ratios to get an underdrive or overdrive in your axles. The K44, you're stuck with what you have (except the helical gear upgrade). The Axial gear set will also reduce torque twist that the smaller K44 gear set can produce.
Are the K44s open diff? Or do they have their own locker design separate from the axial variant? Also, couldn't one use the ring and pinion from a differently geared RC4WD Axle like the Yota? What effect does wheel size have on torque twist, if any, and couldn't you also remedy this by changing the gear ratio somewhere else in the power train? IE at the transfer case or transmission? And what do you mean by smaller gear set? Are you talking about a lower ratio? Or are you talking about a shorter gear as opposed to a taller gear?

Aside from torque twist, how strong are the internals the axle? Do they handle a high amount of torque before snapping or breaking?
Old 12-06-2014, 07:19 AM   #5
Jeep whore

K44's are a locked diff, the ring and locker are one piece. It's a hit or miss with rc4wd and strength, I know people who abuse the hell out of the stock k44's, and they are fine, but I've heard of others snapping CVD's by just driving the rig on the carpet. I don't think you can use the yota gears on the k44's.
scale4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWrangler View Post
Are the K44s open diff? Or do they have their own locker design separate from the axial variant? Also, couldn't one use the ring and pinion from a differently geared RC4WD Axle like the Yota? What effect does wheel size have on torque twist, if any, and couldn't you also remedy this by changing the gear ratio somewhere else in the power train? IE at the transfer case or transmission? And what do you mean by smaller gear set? Are you talking about a lower ratio? Or are you talking about a shorter gear as opposed to a taller gear?

Aside from torque twist, how strong are the internals the axle? Do they handle a high amount of torque before snapping or breaking?

No, they're locked with a spool style locker. They use the same construction as the Yota R&P. However, I do not know if the K44 and Yota ring and pinions are interchangeable. Never had the need to replace a K44 R&P.

Typically, the taller a tire is, the harder the motor has to work get everything going. Thus, creating more torque twist that will be harder to overcome with smaller gears and no gear ratio options. You could regear the transmission with a different spur and pinion, but you would probably lose valuable torque and/or speed. You can also fight torque twist with a geometry correct link placement.

Smaller gear set as in a smaller tooth gear ratio. If it is a substantial gear reduction or increase you'll see a size difference between an underdrive and overdrive ring gear.

The K44 axles seem to have a little better construction and they can tolerate more stress before breaking a component; same as the Yota II axles. The Yota I axles had too much slop. Since they are considered a highly scaled axle, They would not compare to an Axial axle built to the same specs. Personally, I wouldn't put anything larger (smaller turn) than a 27T brushed motor.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Just wish they made a narrow option for these d44
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally1800 View Post
Just wish they made a narrow option for these d44
How narrow are we talking here?
Old 12-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

they offer scx10 width?
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
How narrow are we talking here?
K44 width would be perfect
Old 12-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:
No, they're locked with a spool style locker. They use the same construction as the Yota R&P. However, I do not know if the K44 and Yota ring and pinions are interchangeable. Never had the need to replace a K44 R&P.

Typically, the taller a tire is, the harder the motor has to work get everything going. Thus, creating more torque twist that will be harder to overcome with smaller gears and no gear ratio options. You could regear the transmission with a different spur and pinion, but you would probably lose valuable torque and/or speed. You can also fight torque twist with a geometry correct link placement.

Smaller gear set as in a smaller tooth gear ratio. If it is a substantial gear reduction or increase you'll see a size difference between an underdrive and overdrive ring gear.

The K44 axles seem to have a little better construction and they can tolerate more stress before breaking a component; same as the Yota II axles. The Yota I axles had too much slop. Since they are considered a highly scaled axle, They would not compare to an Axial axle built to the same specs. Personally, I wouldn't put anything larger (smaller turn) than a 27T brushed motor.
For sure, that's what I thought you meant by smaller, but I just wanted to make sure. It's pretty much the same concept with wheel size on the 1:1, I just never heard the term "Torque Twist" before... I had heard of axle wrap though

The good news is, my tire size will end up being fairly small in comparison to a lot of peoples rigs (3.5"), so hopefully that helps me out a bit... Also, maybe I should do a good bit of shimming to keep as much slop out of these axles as possible... Whenever they arrive... (Damn you Fedex/UPS!)
Old 12-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Yota gears and k44 gears are different, I tried swapping to get an overdrive in the front.
AkFordfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I'm looking at the d44 info page it show the pin to pin width is 182 front and back

I think axial axles are wider than that?

Can any one confirm this info.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWrangler View Post
For sure, that's what I thought you meant by smaller, but I just wanted to make sure. It's pretty much the same concept with wheel size on the 1:1, I just never heard the term "Torque Twist" before... I had heard of axle wrap though

The good news is, my tire size will end up being fairly small in comparison to a lot of peoples rigs (3.5"), so hopefully that helps me out a bit... Also, maybe I should do a good bit of shimming to keep as much slop out of these axles as possible... Whenever they arrive... (Damn you Fedex/UPS!)
Yes, it is the same concept as what some fight or experience on the 1:1 stuff. My FJ Cruiser rears to the passenger rear if I take off quickly. That's torque twist. I had a 2004 Jeep TJ crawler that had TERRIBLE torque twist, I couldn't get all of it out.

Axle Wrap is a term more towards leafed rigs if you don't have a track bar. Due to there being only one mounting point on the springs, the torque energy finds the closest place to go, top of the chunk.

The K44s are pretty tight out of the package, same with the Yota II stuff.

RC4WD K44&D44 Axle Comparisons - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD D44 Axles (Modular Design, 2 Axle Widths) mjderstine General Crawlers 75 09-22-2014 12:08 AM
RC4WD K44 Axle Pics Katan General Scale Talk 27 12-23-2010 04:43 PM
RC4WD, K44 Axle Status? Tommy R General Scale Talk 5 12-22-2010 01:16 PM