Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: metal wood flatbed material??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2015, 06:36 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default metal wood flatbed material??

im looking to build a metal framed scale flatbed with headrack for my rig. wood deck, but metal for frame and headrack.. was thinking of using some 1/8" by 3/8" flatbar for the frame, then welding sheet to it for the wood to sit on. im wondering how u guys secure the wood to the metal without 20+ tiny nuts and bolts, as the sheet will b def too thin to tap. have people glued the wood down?? any body have any pics? I searched and didn't find much that was steel and wood. most was alum or all wood.
rockrigcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: metal wood flatbed material??

I don't have a good answer for you as I went the many screws route. But the metal I did use is flat sheet steel i hammered my own brackets out then drilled. I countersunk most all my bolts in the wood so still flush. For wood I used treated 1x6 decking board from Home Depot, then ripped thin on my table saw.
For the frame you could always slot it so the wood fits snug around 3 sides then attach a final metal strap across the back? There's many ways to make a flatbed. Using Google images I got good ideas.

CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrigcustoms View Post
im looking to build a metal framed scale flatbed with headrack for my rig. wood deck, but metal for frame and headrack.. was thinking of using some 1/8" by 3/8" flatbar for the frame, then welding sheet to it for the wood to sit on. im wondering how u guys secure the wood to the metal without 20+ tiny nuts and bolts, as the sheet will b def too thin to tap. have people glued the wood down?? any body have any pics? I searched and didn't find much that was steel and wood. most was alum or all wood.
My friend used aluminum C channel with 45 degree cuts at the corners so the wood could slide in and stay. You might be able to screw some C channel to the base and then add the wood beams, which will hide the screws.
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I used 1\4" ply end channel (aluminum) for the front and rear and 1\2 angle for the sides. I filled it with 1\4" x3\8" spruce from my lhs and4 screws on the bottom holds everything together.

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I used 1\4" ply end channel (aluminum) for the front and rear and 1\2 angle for the sides. I filled it with 1\4" x3\8" spruce from my lhs and4 screws on the bottom holds everything together.

That is a fantastically simple, perfect aluminum & panel tray.

Last time I tried to work with aluminum it was a large mess of angle stock and Harbor Freight brazing rods.

Last edited by pixelnate; 03-26-2015 at 09:16 PM.
pixelnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

This is a variation of what pixelnate built, but it works.
1/4" alu channel and 1/4" poplar strip from Lowes. I made the alu frame, slid the wood strip in and then glued/nailed (small brads) the bed to supports that sit on the chassis. Simple and cheap to make.

jmz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:31 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

A flatbed I made years ago.

Made from sheet steel I bent to L-shape and assembled just with screws. I used 3mm plywood for the deck.

Here is a more recent bed I made. Not a flatbed though.

Needs a tailgate and paint.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote

metal wood flatbed material?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What material do you use for ultra scale grill material? Desert Rc General Scale Talk 9 06-04-2013 10:47 PM
Best material/ bender for tube flatbed?? 4 low pinned Tools, and Procedures 4 03-31-2013 08:12 AM
How thick is yer wood? Work-bench wood! utbeamer Chit Chat 8 03-17-2005 12:45 AM