RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Scale Talk (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-scale-talk/)
-   -   New Toyota FJ body scaler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-scale-talk/551724-new-toyota-fj-body-scaler.html)

Scrap 01-28-2016 11:24 AM

Re: New Toyota FJ body scaler

Metal gears. Aluminium parts. Scale drivetrain. Licensed body. New.

I fear it's going to be closer to $500 than $300. If not more.

I do hope I'm wrong, though.

If the price is right I might buy my very first RTR scaler.
How are the HPI RTR radio gear these days?

adamargue 01-28-2016 11:42 AM

looks awesome hpi! so excited it is great to see a company listen to the guys who crawl and do what we want. i love my wheely king was my first hobby grade rc and i still have is 6 years later is a blast! looking forward to more!

Natedog 01-28-2016 11:45 AM

Thad, any better pictures of the tranny you can share? Like the transfer case pic you posted? Any way to lock out or eliminate the what looks like a slipper on the tranny bottom/output gear?

OSRC 01-28-2016 02:21 PM

Looking good! Liking everything I hear so far.

And thank you Thad for coming in an answering questions. When you have a rough time frame for release, we'd be interested in hearing it.

I know it's a long shot, but HPI does killer kits. Would love to see a kit version. Haven't built one since my Blitz ESE.

Thad Garner 01-28-2016 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5433888)
Thad, any better pictures of the tranny you can share? Like the transfer case pic you posted? Any way to lock out or eliminate the what looks like a slipper on the tranny bottom/output gear?

The slipper is really only there to slip in full bind situation to prevent drivetrain component stress. If set full tight, it’s basically locked.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1609/...6f95a06b50.jpg

imthatguy 01-28-2016 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad Garner (Post 5434033)
The slipper is really only there to slip in full bind situation to prevent drivetrain component stress. If set full tight, it’s basically locked.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1609/...6f95a06b50.jpg

Wow. Looking sharp. Love cutaways.

BigSki 01-28-2016 02:29 PM

Interesting combo of gear pitches, I like the reduction in the t-case and the use of cups/dogbones for the tranny-t case shaft, nice and strong and out of sight. I'm liking this more and more. "thumbsup"

Killa-Cotton 01-28-2016 02:33 PM

Thad said it uses the same trans system as the Savage XS. Here is what it looks like.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/o...pstn3ldawp.jpg

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps0gwarxjj.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5433888)

Natedog 01-28-2016 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad Garner (Post 5434033)

I like slipper locked, I know when to let off the throttle, thanks.

Thad Garner 01-28-2016 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSRC (Post 5434031)
Looking good! Liking everything I hear so far.

And thank you Thad for coming in an answering questions. When you have a rough time frame for release, we'd be interested in hearing it.

I know it's a long shot, but HPI does killer kits. Would love to see a kit version. Haven't built one since my Blitz ESE.

Thanks!

I’m all for a Kit, so hopefully something that will happen"thumbsup"

Release dates, pricing, distribution and really anything along those lines, I’m not here to discuss on this forum. Hope you all understand. All that information will be released officially on the HPI website and through our distributors.

I’m all for product specific discussion, constructive criticism, thoughts and ideas. HPI and all future Venture owners will benefit from this type of discussion, as it will help strengthen and grow the Venture platform.

Thad Garner 01-28-2016 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5434048)
I like slipper locked, I know when to let off the throttle, thanks.

Ok.

Natedog 01-28-2016 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad Garner (Post 5434060)
...I’m all for a Kit, so hopefully something that will happen"thumbsup"

Release dates, pricing, distribution and really anything along those lines, I’m not here to discuss on this forum. Hope you all understand. All that information will be released officially on the HPI website and through our distributors.

I’m all for product specific discussion, constructive criticism, thoughts and ideas. HPI and all future Venture owners will benefit from this type of discussion, as it will help strengthen and grow the Venture platform.

Good.

Understood.

Good, that is why I point out good...and things that could be better, thanks! 8) "thumbsup"

honchojoe 01-28-2016 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad Garner (Post 5433709)

Going by this pic. Are the diff crowns fitted with a spool?

Thad Garner 01-28-2016 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honchojoe (Post 5434142)
Going by this pic. Are the diff crowns fitted with a spool?

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1613/...34d2ae85_m.jpg

2JSC 01-28-2016 08:00 PM

I think in that video, they guy said the chassis rails are aluminum? That will make it hard to weld up some real bumpers, unless some one makes up aftermarket steel ones.

Any design reason as to why the steering servo is on the passenger side and not the driver?

Everything I've seen and been able to read so far makes this truck look like a real competitive player. Count me in for one in the future!

honchojoe 01-28-2016 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JSC (Post 5434324)
I think in that video, they guy said the chassis rails are aluminum? That will make it hard to weld up some real bumpers, unless some one makes up aftermarket steel ones.

Any design reason as to why the steering servo is on the passenger side and not the driver?

Everything I've seen and been able to read so far makes this truck look like a real competitive player. Count me in for one in the future!

Because the transfer case input is on the lhs so the motor and gearbox need to be on that side. So they would have had to design the drivetrain around the servo instead of designing the servo mount around the drive train. Since manufacturers like to keep costs down by reusing parts it was cheaper to do it this way.

What difference does it make anyway?

2JSC 01-28-2016 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honchojoe (Post 5434344)
Because the transfer case input is on the lhs so the motor and gearbox need to be on that side. So they would have had to design the drivetrain around the servo instead of designing the servo mount around the drive train. Since manufacturers like to keep costs down by reusing parts it was cheaper to do it this way.

What difference does it make anyway?

Purely aesthetic to me is all. I can understand that though. Having a set of gears/transmission already designed... no need to re-engineer that. Makes sense.

Thad Garner 01-28-2016 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JSC (Post 5434324)
I think in that video, they guy said the chassis rails are aluminum? That will make it hard to weld up some real bumpers, unless some one makes up aftermarket steel ones

He misspoke. Chassis rails are steel.

Ambis 01-28-2016 11:24 PM

I believe there has not been any talk about what the c-hubs, knuckles and front driveshafts look like. On some videos it looks like there shouldn't be any problems with turning angle.

Thad, any info on what type of front driveshafts the RTR will come with? Dog bones or CVD's? Any pics of chubs/knuckles?

Gula 01-29-2016 02:36 AM

I see the t-case is a 3 gear unit, but not 1:1 driven. What is the reduction ratio? Any real pics of the axle internals?