Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: New Toyota FJ body scaler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #441
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Toyota FJ body scaler

Nice, hope the electronics are better than what ime HPI used to include. BTW, I kinda like the body but a 1970s FJ55 would excite me!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #442
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Nice, hope the electronics are better than what ime HPI used to include. BTW, I kinda like the body but a 1970s FJ55 would excite me!
ESC looks to be a rebadged HW 1060 and the motor is a basic 35T sealed can so those should be solid. I'll bet the radio is TF-40 (https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/116510) set since it has a waterproof receiver, seems to be decent for a RTR since it has a 3rd channel and end point adjustment. The servo is a question since little info has been released on that.

The truck can be had from Tower for as little as $325, I don't mind replacing the servo for that price. A SCXII RTR is $100 more and you still have to toss the servo.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:58 PM   #443
I wanna be Dave

Great points, thanks and agreed.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:55 PM   #444
RCC Addict

Love me some yota FJ, pre-ordered
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #445
I wanna be Dave

Apparently this truck was out in the wild at the Proline even this weekend and it looks much better with the Proline KO2s on.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #446
I wanna be Dave

Nice, looks great and thanks for the pic!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #447
RCC Addict

What's anyone guess as to which outlet will receive the first units? I'm thinking it's most likely to be Tower or Amain, probably Tower first?
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #448
Rock Crawler

I am kind of leaning towards this HPI, more so since my trailfinder are giving me grief at the moment.

My friend on the other hand have preordered the Traxxas scaler, insane but he / we have wheeled a lot off road in the Land Rovers my friend have been driving for a couple of decades, so maybe a Land Rover scaler will be good for him.

Not that i don't like the Traxxas too, but i just cant justify its price compared to this HPI.
And i do like the layout of the HPI drivetrain better than the Traxxas more central placed gearbox.

Guess we will see what is what when the little buggers hit the trails around the world.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #449

IMO, I think you get a lot more for your money with the traxxas. Portal Axles, lockable diffs, 2 speed trans, inner fenders, traxxas shocks, better electronics, cruise control, etc. And the NiMH battery w/charger is pretty much useless these days, unless this is your first rig.

With that being said, I do think this is a heck of a deal! Just if you wanted to add these options, it would be quite a bit more (if they are even offered). Now I realize many will not want some of these options, but for me and hiking with my kids, it will be purrfect. But this rig was on my short list. But with all the after marker support that comes with traxxas and what you get, I think its a good deal.
Mirkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:42 AM   #450
Rock Crawler

I see all of those extras on the Traxxas as yet more things that can break, and at least in regard to the lockable diffs i am not even sure i would use them.
Also not sure about the 2 speed tranny, it is pretty rare i use the #1 gear in my trailfinder 2.

And over here the Traxxas are 218 USD more expensive than the HPI.

O and by over here i mean the UK where i would order from. ( 299 pounds Vs 469 for the Traxxas at modelsport.co.uk )

Last edited by Peaker; 05-10-2017 at 05:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #451
Quarry Creeper

I'd say it depends on what you are looking for.

If you like the idea of locking diffs and portals you should get the Traxxas (or atleast the axles). If you couldn't care less about locking diffs or portals then you shouldn't get the traxxas.
If you are the latter then the HPI might be good for you. Atleast it's more scale than the Axial offerings. Note that I'm comparing the RTR trucks and not what you can build of them.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #452
RCC Addict

I really like the Traxxas in concept, but that gargantuan size is a deal breaker for me.

It's no fun being the one guy that's got a 1/8 scale rig when everyone else is running 1/10..
Old 05-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #453
Quarry Creeper

Where are these true 1/10 scale bodies that everybody is running?

I can't seem to find any.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #454
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
I really like the Traxxas in concept, but that gargantuan size is a deal breaker for me.

It's no fun being the one guy that's got a 1/8 scale rig when everyone else is running 1/10..
Not really gargantuan, quite comparable actually.

TRX4

Length: 23.10 in
Width: 9.80 in
Tires: 4.60 in

SCXII

Length: 22.10 in
Width: 8.90 in
Tires: 4.65 in

Ascender K5

Length: 21.25 in
Width: 9.00 in
Tires: 4.55 in
Old 05-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #455
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
Where are these true 1/10 scale bodies that everybody is running?

I can't seem to find any.

Fair point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Not really gargantuan, quite comparable actually.

TRX4

Length: 23.10 in
Width: 9.80 in
Tires: 4.60 in

SCXII

Length: 22.10 in
Width: 8.90 in
Tires: 4.65 in

Ascender K5

Length: 21.25 in
Width: 9.00 in
Tires: 4.55 in

Interesting, I hadn't previously seen those numbers. I was just basing my statement off of the photos; they make it look huge...

I'll say this for sure, I'm quite impressed at the price point they're able to bring it in at. When I initially read the press releases I thought for sure it would the price + a little bit..
Old 05-10-2017, 06:46 PM   #456
Quarry Creeper

Default New Toyota FJ body scaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
I see all of those extras on the Traxxas as yet more things that can break, and at least in regard to the lockable diffs i am not even sure i would use them.
Also not sure about the 2 speed tranny, it is pretty rare i use the #1 gear in my trailfinder 2.

And over here the Traxxas are 218 USD more expensive than the HPI.

O and by over here i mean the UK where i would order from. ( 299 pounds Vs 469 for the Traxxas at modelsport.co.uk )

If the locking diffs and trans are built as well the summits they should be fairly reliable. Not saying the summit is bullet proof but I've broke a lot more axial, vaterra, RC4wd and Losi drivetrain stuff than Traxxas. Traxxas ain't my favourite brand by any means but I'll say from all I've experienced they have the best parts support and reliability of any RC producer today. I'm sure it will have some flaw that will get the internet blown out of proportion treatment but I've yet to own a Traxxas vehicle I regretted buying because of a reliability issue or one that had a must do upgrade out of the box because something instantly broke or was so poorly made it failed. I love axial and what they've done for the hobby and I own almost as many axials as Traxxas but a lot of there stuff breaks if you look at it wrong. I'll buy one giving Traxxas the benefit of the doubt based on there reputation. Ever since my preorders of the axial XR10 and Exo I usually wait a few months now with most scale vehicles and and order "must do" upgrades with the kits lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:06 AM   #457
Rock Crawler

I am going for the HPI if not for anything else then to put some pressure on Axial, to be honest i think Axial have been making soup on the same old bones for a long time.

I never owned any HPI myself, but my friend use to race their 1:10 nitro cars competitive and he or i dident have to wrench too much on those.

And my friend also got the 5B & 5T 1:5 cars, and those ( not least the 5 T ) have taken a lot of beating on the pretty much stock truck.

Cant say about the 5B cuz it got so many ALU upgrades it is 2 X as heavy now, and not least it too had to get a engine upgrade.

Did this to the 5T until the wheels turned egg shaped, and then we beat some more on it to sort of make the wheels round again, and it is still stock and ready to go.

https://youtu.be/CCawa-wXAcM
Old 05-11-2017, 08:35 AM   #458
Rock Stacker

Definitely going to pre-order the HPI! Looks like a solid setup with numerous features right out of the box.

Great to see HPI get back into the game and also traxxas is getting involved. The more the merrier!!
flat6extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #459

This thread is quite a bit more positive than others around the web, including forums dedicated to HPI platforms. Good to see.

I've got HPI's on the shelf going back 20 years that still run perfectly today and I can still find parts for them if I look hard enough. Through the years, I had just about every variant of electric RS4 they released and still have my original Nitro RS4 as well as a Micro RS4. I've had multiple Savages and WR8's. Currently I have three Baja's, (5B SS, 5T Kraken TSK-b, Q32) a Vorza Flux, WR8 Flux, Jumpshot MT and the two previously mentioned RS4s.

I've had a few Traxxas vehicles over the years and never had a problem with them but none of them were so great that I wanted to keep them. The TRX-4 does look pretty sweet but I gotta stick with the big black and orange on this one. HPI gets all of my monies and will continue to get them if they can just get some stuff released!
Captain_Torquepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #460
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New Venture RC/HPI Toyota FJ body scaler

hmmm now Tower says July instead of June.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
322 is offline   Reply With Quote

New Toyota FJ body scaler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
metal body toyota scaler build mcrawlinslow 1.5 Scale Rigs 27 09-06-2014 07:11 PM