Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: intro scaler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default intro scaler

I've been wanting a scaler for a while now, almost turned my mrc in to one before it traded for jeep parts lol. Then got away from the hobby for a bit till I got tried of buy crappy walmart rcs for my boy and bought him a everest 10, Which for the price and his age was great and being some what of a ax10 clone is a cheap platform crawler then I got hooked again. Looking around I came across the hg p402 and for price and what it has to offer seems like a great introduction scaler.

Doing the research on how to make the E10 work better and seeking other making it in to scale trucks it seems like decent trail rig/ good time with the boy. Also researching the p402 it's seems on base for an intro rig.

Both have similar cons, shocks suck, needs better tires , stock servo sucks.
Both are close to same price where I have found them.

So knowing I need to do some upgrades to either one I get and want to make something I will enjoy tinkering with instead of fixing which would be a better intro rig? The hg p402 or convert an E10.

Anyone have one or the other and what would you do differently?

This is what I would like to build with which ever I decide to get.

hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: intro scaler

Not saying it couldn't be done with the style of chassis hat those two have, but the tried and proven SCX platform would be an ideal start and easy to to scale that Ferd. Check the "For Sale" section for an scx10 chassis and bits then go from there. It'll be a lot cheaper than getting a kit or RTR and starting there.

#CamBrady2017
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I'll look but think i would be hard pressed to beat a $125 scale rtr like the hg p402 even with the rtr cons it has. The everest 10 is about 135 but then there is the cost of at least the a chassis which would be an scx since it's an ax10 clone pretty much.

Hg p402 rtr 125 + 50 ebay wheel tire combo+ and 40 for just a lexan cab (for a honcho) = 215 - 220 + what the cost of making a bed

Everest 10 rtr 135+ cost of chassis + 50 ebay tire/wheel combo + 40 for truck cab roughly 250 - 325. Depending upon cost of chassis and + the cost of making the bed.

Don't get me wrong would like an scx but right now budget isn't there and still kind new to rc's so a rtr Is what I'm looking for right now. I'm not trying to comp just have fun and tinker And bond more with my boy.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:09 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
I'll look but think i would be hard pressed to beat a $125 scale rtr like the hg p402 even with the rtr cons it has. The everest 10 is about 135 but then there is the cost of at least the a chassis which would be an scx since it's an ax10 clone pretty much.

Hg p402 rtr 125 + 50 ebay wheel tire combo+ and 40 for just a lexan cab (for a honcho) = 215 - 220 + what the cost of making a bed

Everest 10 rtr 135+ cost of chassis + 50 ebay tire/wheel combo + 40 for truck cab roughly 250 - 325. Depending upon cost of chassis and + the cost of making the bed.

Don't get me wrong would like an scx but right now budget isn't there and still kind new to rc's so a rtr Is what I'm looking for right now. I'm not trying to comp just have fun and tinker And bond more with my boy.
a TCS crawlers x-trail chassis is $30.99 right now if you decide to go that route.

a little advice: You can go the route of the HG P402, but the downside is going to be when it breaks or wears down parts. the only place you can get parts is through banggood, gearbest, etc... which means you're out at least a week, with no aftermarket support. with the E10, it's close enough to the axial design that you can bolt on aftermarket parts designed for axial.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:19 PM   #5
RCC Addict

The major things with the hg p402 I have read are, swap bushings in axles and trans to bearings to hold gears better, traxxis 4mm output boat drive shafts work for replacement shafts, if the stock does break, needs shifting servo to shift trans or it can be done by hand. Scx knuckles fit p402 c-hubs, upgrade to a metal p402 chassis stock is plastic. Scx bumpers fit. Shock need replaced with ones that can be oil filled. Ive done my research on the truck cause I have considered buying it. I don't buy something then ask questions, I see what questions have been asked first and see if it is worth doing or buying. Really anything can be fixed in one way or another or swapped to something else.

For a cheap introduction scale crawler for someone looking to get in to that sort of Hobby the pros for me out weigh the cons for me. I like working on things and modifying things.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Well I pulled the trigger on a scale rig but something else then what was mentioned. I'll do a review of it when I get it since the only one I found was in a different language I can't read.
RGT Hobby - ROCK CRUISER
I got one in a early bronco body instead of the land cruiser. Looking through everything I could find on it, the axles look alot like redcat everest 10/hsp axles and the skid and trans look like scx10. And already comes with metal c-hubs and knuckles and chassis. Will know more when it shows up and can compare it with some of might be shared parts with my son's everest 10.

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 09-16-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:36 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Any updates on the RGT??
US sellers of some Chinese RC companies sell transmissions for under $20 for those, and the ECX Barrage and other clones, that let's you put a proper 540 motor in them....
I know that some people say "It's got a surprising bit of torque"...
BUT, that wheezy little 280 or even 370, can NOT give you the performance of the 540 - OR the cooler running, because the larger motor is not always strained!

Also, I've heard often that moving the shocks to the outside of the frame, nearly eliminates the too common leaning and torque twist, that seems to plague those "1/12th scale" Rigs!
(They're almost 1/10th Scale, with different bodies!) ;)

They're actually quite competent Rigs! Especially the Barrage. Like most low cost Rigs, they just need a little tweaking!!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:19 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Links to these knock off transmissions?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
clm
Quarry Creeper

Probably an everest 10/maxstone 10 trans
clm is offline   Reply With Quote