Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: 1.9 Barrage RTR 1/10 Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #1061
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 1.9 Barrage RTR 1/10 Crawler

Did a little more research on the pinion options. I'm not too knowledgeable about things such as Mod .5 or Mod .6 gears, but apparently, this may have something to do with why the traxxas pinion is so obnoxiously loud with the stock barrage spur gear. Granted, I don't know which is which, but it may be that they are of different "modules". Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I could chime in on that.

Another possible solution I've found is a Hot Racing pinion reducer sleeve - CSG182R08 1/8" to 2mm. There is a much wider range of pinions for 1/8" shafts in 48P. I purchased two of the reducer sleeves, and will give some 16-21T pinions a try.
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2020, 07:10 AM   #1062

I've had a Hobbyking outrunner sitting here for over a year waiting for me to buy a speed control for it. After seeing you guys getting the Holmes outrunner and liking it, it's motivating me to get that damned speed control.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:57 PM   #1063
Quarry Creeper

Received my Hot Racing 1/8 to 2mm sleeve today:

Installed it in a Robinson Racing 17T 48P nickel plated steel pinion I had laying around.

It was a LOT quieter, and with a somewhat loose mesh setting, it got even quieter. It's now at an acceptable noise level. Local wildlife will not flee.

If I ran without the spur cover on, it would be hard to notice the gear noise at all. The bizarre sound of the Revolver is far more noticeable at that point.

BTW a 17T pinion makes for some really slow crawling. Just what I was going for...
Old 03-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #1064
Quarry Creeper

Took the Barrage with HH Revolver 380 and 17T pinion out yesterday for some alone time on the rocks. Sorry to report the quieter "on the bench" noise level did not prove to be the case out on the rocks. I'd put the gear noise level at a solid 9 out 10 in terms of being loud and annoying. It was so bad I had to pull the spur gear cover to check the gear mesh again, and it was unchanged. There was a surprising amount of people out enjoying the lovely weather on the trails. Let's just say I had no trouble maintaining social distancing. Not only did the local wildlife flee, but humankind wanted nothing to do with me and my little shrieking toy truck.

It's really a crying shame, as the smoothness and torque of the outrunner motor are so nice. Back to the drawing board...
Old 06-17-2020, 05:39 PM   #1065
Quarry Creeper

Turns out that loud shrieking gear noise wasn't such a good thing. I messed around some more with gear mesh, and then took it out for another test run. Not only wasn't it any quieter, but the motor and ESC both got hot - real fast. That test run ended quickly. I took the rig home for a teardown and inspection of the driveline.

I removed the trans from the chassis, and found it was not spinning freely at all. The gears were still well-greased, and had no visible signs of wear, but there was a a bit of play in the both input and output shafts that appeared to be causing binding. All the bearings were well seated and spinning freely, but it was definitely not spinning smooth. This rig is going on two years old now, and it's seen a fair amount of use. I guess that's to be expected with plastic gears and parts.

So I decided to try yet another transplant operation in the form of a new transmission to see if that might breath new life into it. I'd bought a 3D printed adapter bracket off eBay over a year ago that allows you to bolt in a regular 1/10 scale 3 gear trans. I installed a cheap 3 gear trans with 48P gears, along with some takeoff Axial SCX10-II RTR electronics - 35T brushed motor and AE5 ESC. It was an easy installation:

A quick run around the living room showed everything appeared to be functioning normally. I definitely added some weight with this new setup, but I think it was more than made up for by finally getting some proper gearing for crawling in this rig. Though not quite as smooth as the tiny Holmes "weewolver", I've always found the Axial 35T brushed motors work just fine and are nice and smooth for a 3 slot motor. I haven't had a chance to run it with the new motor and trans on the rocks yet. So we'll see...

The Barrage was my first crawler, so I guess I have a sentimental attachment to it. I'm determined to keep tweaking on this little rig until it is running right. The axle swap I did definitely helped improve the steering. The only real remaining issue I had with it was the gearing was just a little too high for proper crawling.

I particularly like the short wheelbase, and the different bodies that are available for it. I have a few that work well:

I also just bought one of those Pro-Line Sumo bodies too. Still have to complete the detailing and fitment on that one, but it came out pretty nice. I had an '88 Samurai back in the day. Bought it brand new.

Old 02-06-2021, 02:08 PM   #1066
Rock Crawler

Just browsed this whole thread from start to finish for old time sake. So much cool info here on these great little trucks. Anyone still rollin' there Barrage?? I still have mine and it's in great shape. Going to be gifting it to my son in law to get him into the hobby.
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #1067
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
Just browsed this whole thread from start to finish for old time sake. So much cool info here on these great little trucks. Anyone still rollin' there Barrage?? I still have mine and it's in great shape. Going to be gifting it to my son in law to get him into the hobby.
If you'd like you can check this post and the ones shortly afterwards:

Hillbilly's barrage upgrade bible!

I scored a NIB Barrage 2.0 kit and a Sumo body right after they were discontinued - ran mine with the kit body all hacked up yesterday, with the suspension and body slammed as low as they would go, and narrow Boom Racing wheels and tires it was WAY more capable than I thought it would be, although I did bend a rear axle... replacements seem to be sold as a set for $35-42 dollars (ouch!) a tad expensive considering how cheap the entire rig was - I'll likely drive a bit more carefully in the future!

Anyway, I need to paint the beater body, and trim and paint the nicer Pro-Line Sumo body as well...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #1068
Rock Crawler

Thanks durok. I already worked my way through that thread too. So much good information there,
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:05 PM   #1069
RCC Addict

I had bought the assembly kit as my 2nd rc, by the time I switched to 4.3” tsl’s and 3s, every axle had twisted. Once I priced replacements I ended up parting it out.

I realize now I expected too much out of the lil guy. It sure made me appreciate how bulletproof a trx4 is in comparison. Apples and oranges, I know.
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:44 AM   #1070

I haven't seen it mentioned here yet but the Bowler has frame and axle mounts for a panhard bar but doesn't come with one installed. After installing a higher torque servo I was having issues with the frame and axle shifting out of alignment due to the CMS.

My solution was to 3 link the front. For the panhard I was able to use a wishbone link from a first gen Barrage. I straightened the link in my vice and used the other wishbone rod end. Perfect length.
electrichead is offline   Reply With Quote