Notices

Thread: 1.9 Barrage RTR 1/10 Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #581
RCC Addict

Default Re: 1.9 Barrage RTR 1/10 Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Yes sir, they are the Austar - Height is 4.28". I got these for like $23 shipped - all four tires and some smoked chrome plastic beadlock wheels. Didn't use the wheels obviously.
Thanks. That is about the height I want. Ill look for some without wheels tho.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #582
I wanna be Dave

I got the Dinky RC interior project started today. Had an Axial parts tree with steering wheel and some other stuff. I had to make a steering column out of parts tree sprue, but it turned out pretty well. Going to do some very minor detail painting to bring its game up, but detail brush painting just is not my strong suite. I also got the threaded rod extensions for the rear body mounts sprayed black and it really makes them blend in well. I also secured two fire extinguishers to the rear body mounts (one on each side) like you would a roll bar. Looks pretty slick 'cause you can see them real well through the rear windows. Also on that Axial parts tree were the shotgun and the scoped rifle. Anyone have any ideas about how to mount these in the rear window? The parts tree came with the scabbards to mount them, but short of gluing those directly to the window, I'm kinda scratching my head.

Planning on getting velcro strips with sticky backing to mount the interior to the body. I figure It'll be plenty strong to hold it in while crawling, but still removable when and if I need to. I'm also going to have to trim some of the back area off the Dinky interior to clear the rear body mounts. Now I just have to come up with some sort of interior for the rear area that will work around the rear body mounts. I'm kicking around some ideas, but suggestions are definitely welcome!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:35 PM   #583
RCC Addict

What about mounting the interior to the chassis and do your Velcro idea but have the body mount sandwhich the interior so you don't have to cut the back off. Also would be able to remove everything as needed. Just a thought.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #584
Quarry Creeper

Mike, I used the exact same Axial tree on my Wraith.... I put the shotgun in Spawned, and saving the Rifle for my Wife's Raptor.

I used the Scabbards in the Raptor rear window. I cut two 3/16" strips of Basswood, longer than the height of the window...
Attached the Scabbards to the Basswood, and glued down the Basswood to the body, above and below the window.
IMO, makes it look like the guy just attached them to scrap 2x4s!!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:36 PM   #585
I wanna be Dave

Welp, I committed to the velcro mount in the body. It actually works out really well. @hillbillyrc, I was looking at doing it the way you mentioned as well, and the way the body posts flare out, I still would have had to cut off the back portion and then figure out a way to re-attach it around the posts. I'll figure something out for the back. Just have to stare at it a bit longer.

@PoormanRc; aka Carmine - That's a great idea. I think the problem for my setup is that the scabbard mounts are not long enough to span the whole window. In other words, even if I mounted them off some wood like that, the wood would basically be in the window area and glued just like the scabbards. I'm thinking about using some tiny cap screw hardware I have on hand. I could drill the 4 small holes through the window and scabbards, run the screw through and use the little nuts on the backside. IDK - I'll have to think on it.

Here's a few quick pics. I painted a bit of the steering wheel and the shifter. I think I'm going to just leave the rest of the interior black so it doesn't pop. My only beef with this interior would be that it's super shallow.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2018, 11:17 PM   #586
Quarry Creeper

Every time I see that Body, I like that Paint Job more and more!!

How about mounting the Scabbards to the body posts (roll cage)?? Roll the Extinguishers (which look GREAT BTW!!), around to the front, and mount the Guns on the back?
..... I'm just helping you throw ideas up, and seeing what sticks.

Hate to pander..... but what do you think about how mine is turning out? I'm STILL fighting with final ideas for the Body.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:51 AM   #587
I wanna be Dave

Just got done drilling the scabbards and rear window and mounting with those tiny cap screws. Worked out real well. I did look at mounting them in/around the body posts Carmine, but they just got lost in there. They are definitely prominently displayed in the rear window. My brother is coming up for a visist in a couple weeks and he’s one of those freaks that paints highly, highly detailed miniatures - i’m talking like down to the retinas of the figure! Anyway, hoping I can put him to work painting up the guns and some of the interior for me. (Of course he doesn’t know that yet!)

Carmine, you Panderer you! I was checking out your mods thread yesterday. It’s coming along awesome man! Diggin the radiator set up! Were you able to find those screws? I checked my inventory - I don’t really have a lot of those coarse thread ones - I usually convert everything to stainless machine screw. It’s often wet, muddy and dank here, and the stock screws that come with these kits start rusting if they look at water Nothing you’ll need to worry about out there tho!
Old 03-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #588
Quarry Creeper

...... Yeah, not much rusts in Arizona! A guy in our Apartment Complex has a 83 F-150 that he stripped the Paint off of over TWO years ago..... And it BARELY has a slight amount of light surface rust!!
I would LOVE to be able to get a set of Stainless Machine Screws for the Wraith. I do plan on taking her to some other places!

I consider myself a pretty good painter.... but I wouldn't consider myself even CLOSE to what your Brother does!!!! I've enjoyed that level of miniature art for years. I watched a guy painting 1/24th Scale EYES. Even seeing it, I don't know how he did it!!!

I still LOVE that paint job!! I may try to copy it at some point.

Last edited by THX_138; 03-19-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #589
I wanna be Dave

So, here's a pic of the gun rack mounted up as well as my solution for the rest of the rear interior. Overall I'm pleased with it. I obviously had to leave a cut-out area for it to pass through the body posts, but once it's mounted, it's not really noticeable. Plus, I figure I'll crowd in some scale goodys back there to help hide what does show. The material I used is a stiff black nylon that was in the bottom of a duffle bag I no longer use. Then, I just marked and drilled holes through it and the Dinky interior and bolted it together for a secure connection. I plan on getting some black felt to do the whole back area with so the grafted area looks seamless - the nylon material has a "tooth" to it whereas the Dinky interior is as smooth as a baby's bottom. Cutting the felt and gluing it in back there will make it all look like one big area, plus I think it will add a modicum of additional strength tying the two together.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #590
Quarry Creeper

That looks GOOD!!!! The black felt WILL go a long way to bring that all together in a much more cohesive manner!! You're talking about going all the way up to the windows on the inner Body, right? If you want to fill out a little more space in there......
You COULD Build a little Sub Box! Might be an attention getter.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #591
RCC Addict

At craft stores you can get felt with a sticky backing. So you can cut to fit peel the backing and stick no glueing and is strong.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #592
I wanna be Dave

nice! i might have to build an early barranco. ;)

especially with THIS NEWS!
https://www.bigsquidrc.com/ecx-1-12-...scale-crawler/
BARRAGE gen2!

- shocks factory outboarded
- 390 sized motor
- full sized steering servo
- 4 link (no more weird wishbone link)
- 1.55 wheels/tires

nice little list of upgrades! and the best part? ITS STILL ONLY $180!

Last edited by Shinchu; 03-23-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:27 AM   #593
Quarry Creeper

Finally the BTD comes as RTR, with different wheels and tires.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #594
I wanna be Dave

It certainly looks like they've addressed the key issues with the earlier RTR. Should be a nice little rig as is with those fixes. But, who am I kidding, I can NEVER leave anything alone!
Old 03-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #595
I wanna be Dave

So I think I've got the interior about wrapped up. I scored some felt at the local craft store and used spray adhesive to mount it up. For the rear interior area, I just cut a small flap through the "carpet" to allow the rear body posts to pass through. Once there through, the flap kind of closes back around them and makes the pass through all but invisible. I also added some scale goodies like the cooler, "road-pops", and the NOS bottle. With additional felt, I made floor mats. I've also got a plastic driver figure on the way. I figure I'll cut him down to the torso and pop him in there.
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #596

Hey guys!

A lot of nice Barrages here especially the "Barranco"

I'm just getting back into RC crawling after several (many?) years away.

I already have an ECX Temper with some small modifications and I just bought the parts to assemble a Barrage chassis which I'm going to add some parts to but I haven't decided which axles, shocks, drive line or body yet.

I was hoping someone can help me with the following information.

1) I was trying to figure out the length and type of screws that are part of the stock chassis assembly as a starting point. I'm talking about the screws that hold the bumper mounts, chassis braces, and transmission skid in place.

I looked at the online manual but it only references the entire replacement hardware kit. They look like M3 x 8 or M3 X 10 button head but I can't tell for certain based on the available information.

2) What is the minimum and maximum length of the stock drive lines?

Thanks for any help I'm looking forward to slowly building something interesting if not original.
Achilles Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:01 AM   #597
I wanna be Dave

@Achilles Fender - Having just done a complete build and extensive mods to mine, I’d tell you to ditch all the stock hardware. It’s all Philips Head crap. I keep a hardware bin full of stainless RC screws around so I utilized those for the re-build. The bin is basically the accumulation of screws from Wraith builds, SCX10 builds, etc. I’d say your best bet would be to buy a generic stainless hardware kit, or two, from Team KNK hardware or RC Skrewz.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:52 AM   #598

Saw the ECX Barrage Gen 2. I have the V1 and wanted to upgrade, but it's cheaper to buy the new Gen 2, than all the parts. Then at that price, it probably better to buy the Red Cat Gen 10. Of course, I could just buy some aluminum wheels for $100.. LOL.

Any one mod to the 4 link cheaply?

Any suggestions for outboarding shocks without having the tire rub and losing flex? It appears the axles are different on the new versions. Does the newer have the same flex as the original?

Thanks,
aiwaloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #599
I wanna be Dave

Anyone have any ideas for something to use as the NOS bottle line? I tried some nitro fuel hose, but it looks to big for a NOS line.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #600
RCC Addict

Paperclip?