Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: My Backyard Course build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2016, 09:51 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My Backyard Course build

Wow, awesome job so far. I really look forward to seeing your progress and future videos
XJrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #22
RCC Addict

you done yet? lol, good to have ya back!
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
you done yet? lol, good to have ya back!
Hey goobs, I sent you an email when I finally started on the track, we will have to do some testing at some point.

Well the wife has managed to not fall down anymore stairs, of course her work is making her use the ramps...hehehe, but anyways she's doing better, still sore but better, ankle problems suck. I got a cold from my son, damn public school germs, and my Dad stole back his trailer to do work in his yard this week errrr.... But it's ok I needed to make the boy a fallout LAPD RIOT chest piece to go with his mask for halloween.

I did however get a few more rocks done before my dad confiscated the trailer. I think I'm now at about half way, still got 3 bridges and all the details but another week or so and the concrete should be done and ready for paint.

ripper7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Finally an update.

I will be working on the track as much as possible, I'm in South Texas so winter is mild, but it is the holidays, so lots of toy shopping and other things. I also need to get a my own trailer before I can start pouring concrete again, but I have tons of other things to do.

Anyways here's some more progress pics. Sorry no video yet, the few times I had time to drive the track it's been heavy storms.

I will get more info and possibly a video on making the rocks, but for now here is what I use.

Mortar sand

Portland

Mixer

Old 11-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

How do you plan of keeping the grass and weeds out? My problem is I have a lot of crab grass and creeping grass. That stuff would grow on concrete if you watered it every few days.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:07 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Hey! This is looking awesome!

Saving this for the day I decide to finally move and give myself some space
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:26 AM   #27

That's dedication. Almost as much as an in ground pool.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the comments, as far as weeds, I use weed killer sprays, after a while the area starts to become sterile, so you just end up fighting new seed growth, but a track like this is just like a garden or pond it's a never ending project.

....Very Short Crappy video at the bottom of post.....

Sorry for the delay, it was a crazy christmas, well it's always pretty crazy with 3 kids. The washing machine decided to quit working, so that took priority, after tearing it down it would cost more parts than it was worth so off to lowes we go, No cheapie this time she says, so Now we have a fancy washer that can talk to our phones.... yea?? Than I get a trailer and start cutting the wood for the sides and the rear bearing in my table freezes up....errrrrrr. More shopping, get a new saw, get back to work, get trailer done, but Christmas shopping time, time to spoil the kids.

So between Christmas, weather and other things, not much has been done. I did manage to get 3 bridges built My son wanted them to be old and broken he picked out this photo.

SAND! Let the concrete pour again.

and here is a very short video of us testing things, he's still learning to drive, he can drive fast, it's driving slow he needs to work on.

My son wanted his own youtube page for the video, again it's not much and it's short but it does show the bridges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duzzJwbZeGM&t=58s

Last edited by THX_138; 01-17-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:15 PM   #29

Really looking good, my brother crawls a lot and he lives in Baytown. Have you been to the rock park at Deer Park?
mccustomize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccustomize View Post
Really looking good, my brother crawls a lot and he lives in Baytown. Have you been to the rock park at Deer Park?
no disrespect, but i dont think ripper would need to leave his back yard to go crawl, especially if comparing it to DP. its fun for a lil bit but you can only have so much fun there before you've crawled on everything.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccustomize View Post

I haven't really had time for rc's for the last 4 years, family issues, just now getting back into the hobby. So no I haven't been to any crawl spots in a long while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
no disrespect, but i dont think ripper would need to leave his back yard to go crawl, especially if comparing it to DP. its fun for a lil bit but you can only have so much fun there before you've crawled on everything.
This small track is just the beginning, I still have an acre behind us to make a scale course through the woods.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

I agree! This build is excellent and one to be envied!!! I would love to have the space to do a course with bridges like this one. It is top shelf!!!! Very well done!
Fookison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:15 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Thanks, yea I plan to weather it all when I paint the rocks a nice shade of moab. Well more concrete to pour today, not sure where winter went but I'm not complaining.

Oh if someone could do me a favor, if someone could post a comment on the video that would make the little guy's day, he just turned 7 and is so excited about his new youtube account. He says he's gonna have to start practicing his slow driving control so he can be better in the next video, Guess I'll be building him a scale crawler before long.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper7777777 View Post
Thanks, yea I plan to weather it all when I paint the rocks a nice shade of moab. Well more concrete to pour today, not sure where winter went but I'm not complaining.

Oh if someone could do me a favor, if someone could post a comment on the video that would make the little guy's day, he just turned 7 and is so excited about his new youtube account. He says he's gonna have to start practicing his slow driving control so he can be better in the next video, Guess I'll be building him a scale crawler before long.
Done!! Love the course, keep up the awesome work!!!
Canadiankrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:06 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiankrawler View Post
Done!! Love the course, keep up the awesome work!!!

Thanks, that will make his day when he gets home.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:54 AM   #36

Awesome work! We have been thinking of building a course on the back of our property so I'm def going to save this thread and use some of your ideas.
dr.dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Very nice, only thing I was going to say is some foliage/scenery around it and dye the concrete some kinda naturalish color. Plain concrete is very bright and hard on the eyes after awhile in direct summer sun. You've got all that covered and you mentioned another acre of scale trailing through the woods....wow!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Very nice, only thing I was going to say is some foliage/scenery around it and dye the concrete some kinda naturalish color. Plain concrete is very bright and hard on the eyes after awhile in direct summer sun. You've got all that covered and you mentioned another acre of scale trailing through the woods....wow!

Once the concrete is done I will be painting the concrete to resemble the Moab area. I plan to add small grasses and plants, small loose rocks, signs and other details. I just need this Rain to leave me be.

Our lot is 1.6 acres I think, we put the house/yard on the front part, so there is still a large area behind our fence that runs all the way to the farm behind us. We came from the standard neighborhood with 1/4 acre lots so this place seems giant to us. I plan to keep the area wooded, just need to kill the small brush and start building some trails.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #39

WOW! I'm inspired .
boxcar 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

Thank you for the inspiration, I have started on my own mini Moab simply because of this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
taco08jk is offline   Reply With Quote

My Backyard Course build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Backyard Course - Build Thread R/C Bashist General Scale Talk 35 01-15-2016 10:24 AM
Backyard Coure Build Thread AdventureIQ General Scale Talk 5 08-19-2013 08:55 PM
Testing my new build in the backyard FROADER Scale Videos! 0 05-11-2010 12:51 AM
Backyard Course Build Grim General Crawlers 6 12-10-2009 06:27 PM
Backyard crawling spot build thread pitass General Crawlers 3 04-20-2009 12:00 AM