Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: RGT bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2017, 03:16 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: RGT bronco

Got the rear axle mocked up little more work then thought but happy with it. need to shorten the driveline tho same barrage driveline to long problem.

hillbillyrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2017, 02:26 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Really been thinking of a new body, really don't want to cut up the bronco to the way I would like need to practice my skills.

Bodies I've looked in to is many
Stampede 50's chevy, 66 f100
Rj speed 80's crawler pickup
Tamiya blackfoot, midnight pumpkin
The last two are hard bodies and feel little more comfortable since I've built countless static models kits and my own junkyard builds.

The Blackfoot is really temping, I seen a pic of a Blackfoot cab and a flatbed that was really cool and made gears turn in my head. Just need to figure out the body once I get things mounted to see of performance is with new axles.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:35 AM   #43
RCC Addict

Well finally have some direction on this build just need to found a Blackfoot body at a decent price as that will be the base of the build from now on. In looking for some inspiration I can across a rig I really liked and it just happens to be owned by a fellow rcc member (low range) and so I contacted him to ask if it was OK to build a scale rig loosely based on his rig. Which he was flattered and gave the ok. I figured I would ask before I posted up pics just a respect thing.

So here is where my little bronco is headed,

Old 01-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Wow... my intrest in this build just tripled!
Thats a cool rig and i used to have a blackfoot back in the 90s, my first ever hobby grade rc!
Man this just keeps getting better!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Thats a cool rig and i used to have a blackfoot back in the 90s, my first ever hobby grade rc!
Thanks!!! Very kind words now hopefully I can pull it off.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:19 PM   #46
RCC Addict

It's finding all the other bits that go with the body gets costly. Almost worth buy the new 2016 kit just for the body lol
Old 01-31-2017, 05:11 AM   #47
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
That was my first RC into it!!! man i miss that thing...
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:11 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

I just ordered two of these, one for each of my daughters to learn to crawl with. I know they will get beat up a fair bit so I didn't want to spend much on them yet.

I'm thinking some better tires and weighed wheels will be about the only mods i'll do to them unless there's something else that's pretty much free and easy.
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:58 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexleblanc View Post
I just ordered two of these, one for each of my daughters to learn to crawl with. I know they will get beat up a fair bit so I didn't want to spend much on them yet.

I'm thinking some better tires and weighed wheels will be about the only mods i'll do to them unless there's something else that's pretty much free and easy.
Good start, if you weight the wheels I think a better servo will be needed too. Mine is pretty weak. just haven't got that far yet in the build but been checking out a few.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
Good start, if you weight the wheels I think a better servo will be needed too. Mine is pretty weak. just haven't got that far yet in the build but been checking out a few.
I've got a few Traxxas 2075 servo's kicking around, those are my go to servo usually for a standard build. Cheap and readily available here.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Yup, cant decide between this rgt, barrage, or mst cfx for my first scaler. Might get this and pass it down to my 8 y/o son when i step up to a "true" 1/10 scaler.

Hillbilly you should totally pull the trigger on the blackfoot kit, then sell the chassis as a roller.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:27 PM   #52
RCC Addict

I've been saving money from parts I've sold. Plus I need to find a midnight pumpkin body too for a mix and match. Blackfoot cab w/ midnight pumpkin bed. Which might save a little money in the long run.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:35 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Well I redid the links in the rear now it moves free and drives haft don't bind but also moved the axle back about 1/2" to an 1". Fixed the pinion angle too not so steep And changed the link mount from the stock everest 10 to an scx10 level3 link mount. Also finished building the rear axle. With scx10 lockouts, one piece axles, a spool and underdrive gears. The 4 link consist of 4 stock lower links, 2 stock rod ends, 4 revo rod ends, and 2 aluminum unknown rod ends at least for now just mockup on the cheap since it's what I have around.

Kinda pushed back but will adjust when I get my new body

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 02-04-2017 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #54
RCC Addict

Thought I would show before and after of my axialed everest rear axle

BEFORE

AFTER

Not much left of the everest axle. The case, some hardware and a few bearings.
Axial based parts are HD Ud gears, hot racing spool, strc lockouts and stainless steel axles, and a couple lockedup rc scx10 bearings. Still need to lube the gears after I shim it a little more.

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 02-09-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:04 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

received the units that I bought for my daughers last night and got to try them out a bit, I'm pleasantly surprised to be honest. The tires aren't half bad, the suspension action is pretty good - just a little tweaking and i'll have these setup good for a beginner to learn on.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #56
RCC Addict

One thing you'll notice is the front bumper is to close and will need to moved out a hole for full turn lock when flexed.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexleblanc View Post
received the units that I bought for my daughers last night and got to try them out a bit, I'm pleasantly surprised to be honest.
WHat trucks are those?

The original RDT axles have nice small pumpkin, could outboard the rear shocks. Fronts could outboard too, attach them on top of axle tubes so tires don't rub during steering.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #58
RCC Addict

They are rgt rock cruisers just with fj40 body. I could have got the same one, but not much of a Toyota fan personally.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Finished with axle swap on my rgt.

The rear stock links for uppers and lower with different rod ends stretched the wheel base in the rear. Fronts are random links I bought from another member here. Right now my wheelbase is 10.75"

Need to make a better drag link but just used what I had for the moment. Which is a stock upper part of the y-link.

Thoughts so far need new shock, ones I used are far to stiff. Need to shorten the front driveshaft male side cause still bottoms out before full compression. Need the new body so I can settle on a final wheelbase. Then I can work on a forward motor mount after I get a scx10 trans. Debating on a transfer case or using stock trans (if I can find metal gears for it) for a transfer case.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #60
RCC Addict

I've had jury duty for most of last week and finished up early today, which left me sometime to work on my rgt.

First off was to address the stiff shocks well the rear isn't as bad of the fronts. So when I had the slick rock shocks I also bought mini t Springs which worked to bring to life the front end. I used the soft pink spring still need more testing/driving to make sure the aren't to soft. Also trimmed down a male side driveshaft to it had that fit the stock one.

Since I don't have my new body and for testing I comp cut the rear to match the new wheelbase.

I got one actual testing shot after driving a bit before the rear driveline dropped out.

Rest of these are just poser shots