Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: RGT bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default RGT bronco

So I picked up this little known scale rig. It's a rgt racing rock cruiser it comes in a few different bodies, Ford early bronco (which I had pick), a land cruiser, an older land Rover looking body and a hummer. Like the mst cmx and 1.9 ecx scale rig. It's a 1/18 scale to fit a 1/10 - 1/12 scale body. Like tamiya bodies. Wb is just shy of 10" at 9.85". The tires are 1.9 even tho it's said to be 2.2. Some of the things I liked when I first unboxed it was the the metal parts it had metal c channel frame, metal links and metal c hubs but not the knuckles. It has a 50/50 weight distribution and very light weighted. And 4 leds, two white in the front bumper and two red in the rear bumper. Servo is weak like most rtr rigs. Shock are really limited on the shock shaft also shocks are mounted inside the frame. Esc and rx are a 2 in 1 combo which is water proof and lipo compatible.

Some of the things I don't like but can be fixed are like the redcat/ hsp crawlers the axles have those standoffs on the bottom to get caught on rocks and such. Upper links is a Y-link setup. The TX is cheap (that what you get for a cheap rtr), but has a 3rd channel switch.

After my first run in the rain the clone flat irons seem like the flat irons of old the need to be broke in to work or comp cut and the memory foam is a little stiff which it could be the lightweight of the rig working against the tires from hooking up.

Now what I plan on doing to make it better.
I'm going to outboard the shock and use the mrc outboarding kit
Get some r35 trepadors and some metal beadlock wheels
Move the battery from the rear of the chassis to the front some how.
Since the bumpers mount like scx10 get different bumpers.
The grill is a decal so get a tamiya bronco grill and exterior parts for more scale look and move leds to headlight and taillights
Lower the body down and make some sliders for it.
Maybe see if the mrc overdrive mod will work for this rig.
Make new steering link
Upgrade steering servo
Maybe make a cms

I'll get pic soon.

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 10-10-2016 at 12:04 PM. Reason: spelling
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #2

Default Re: RGT bronco

I never heard of this truck. I did a quick search and it looks decent. Is it metal or mostly plastic?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
RCC Addict

70% plastic another thing is that it has ball bearings and not bushings, but haven't confirmed if true. Only other down side at least from a first rig aspect is the wall charger is for European outlet not US outlets. I got an adaptor for .75 on ebay.

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 10-10-2016 at 01:31 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Killerbyrd14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbyrd14 View Post
Pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm at work. Later , but a little more digging it's pretty much a ecx Barrage clone. Thinking about getting some templer knuckles and see if they work.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Old 10-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Old 10-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #8

That has the shocks inside the chassis like the new ECX truck. That's so odd to me. Does torque twist flop it all over the place?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
RCC Addict

There really isn't TT but the shocks are so limited. As seen in the first picture of the second set of pics.

Also it's not hard to outboard the shocks, the link and shock mounts are the same configuration as the losi mrc. So just going to pick up the outboarding kit for an mrc.

Then some weighted wheels or really just some weight down low to help keep it planted and I think it will trail run pretty good and crawler better then stock.

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 10-13-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:09 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Bought some goodies for this little bronco. Picked up the outboarding kit, some vaterra slickrock aluminum adjustable shocks, losi mini t feont springs, front and rear bumpers, some take off r35 trepadors with axial walker evan wheels and a tamiya bronco grill parts tree for some a better scale look. Now the wait for parts is on.

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 10-14-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Looks like I'll have parts tonight when I get home from work, then I can get to tinkering with this little bronco.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:30 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Well tinkering with this little bronco last night lead me to underestimate bolt ons.
Tires and wheels look great little big on the tire side but not much care here. Maybe a little flair trimming might happrn.
outboarding kit was a perfect fit for the axle but the chassis side is another story. The shock mounts hardware places the shocks at a inward v. So I did the rear only while I think of how to fix that.
I picked up some cheap plastic rc4wd tube bumpers ment for a tf2 yota. The mount post are narrower than stock so something custom to make them work. The front was thinking useing the winch mount to mount a L bracket then some bar stock welded or drilled and screwed for a mount. The rear im not sure it has more interference on the body besides mount issues.
vaterra shocks I got well again axle side fit nice chassis side not so much. The ball mount is smaller so the top Mount sides off. The vaterra springs fit the stock shock so I did swap them over for time being.
The tamiya grill perfect fit so I'm going to take the leds out of the stock bumpers and put them in the light buckets that come with the grill parts tree. Not much of a chrome guy so might just black out the grill and the mirrors.
I think I need to shorten up the rear so the tire is centered in the wheel well, it seems a pushed back some up that can wait till I figure out the shocks.

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 10-18-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #13
RCC Addict

First is mock up of bumpers the rear still not sure about and a mock of where I think the rear tire should be, next better view of the front bumper and where I would like it to sit.
Then new tires and wheels mounted.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:57 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Been thinking of how to tackle my shock issue and came up with some options.
1, go back to stock
2, stock location but with slickrock shocks and upper hardware for shocks.
3, outboard shocks with slickrock shocks and see if dravtech rear mrc lockouts fit axles since they have mounts built on.

I'm liking option 2 right now but need to get the upper hardware for that. One reason I got the shocks I liked the adjustability of them. And came with different piston valving. Also I got some mini T front springs that work great with the shocks.

Only other thing is to make different shock hoops to would make the outboarding work. It's still a thought.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:55 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Did some shock work last night. What I did was Outboarded the front and since the top on the shock hoops was where the shocks were mount. I lowered that position to the lowest one the frame interference isn't crazy like I had the rear and it flexs again. Which in doing so I was also able the lower the body down a tad bit.

I think the limiters will be coming out or cut down.
Also my bumper issue I did some research and believe a scx10 bumper mount will work and have read the tf2 bumpers work with the mount.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Took the rear axle apart this morning for some measurements as I plan on making some beef tubes. And I found bearings unlike the other China rigs plus 6 in total. The locker is plastic but a spool 1pc design. Also was thinking the mrc overdrive mod might work I don't have the pinion but had the ring gear which meshes with the stock pinion. So another part to the list. Last thing the rock finders on the bottom of the axle are hollow so after grinding them off they will need to be sealed so no junk gets in the diff.
Here is some inside pics

This last pic is mini e-revo ring gear and rgt stock pinion gear.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:42 AM   #17
RCC Addict

After getting the rear axle back in. I decided to trim some of the shock limiters which is helped. From the first time I drove it to this last time the difference is it would stay planted and not flop over like a dog playing dead.

More looking around and some good info I found out. mrc parts are bolt on which opens up a lot more options. And I think I found a Less time consuming way to underdrive the rear hopefully it work another member had the same idea waiting to hear back. Also found a clean and simple way the mount my new front bumper just need to cut some 1x1 angle and drill some holes. And to add that scale touch I was thinking of some of these to mount the bumper to the chassis mounts.Hot Racing ACC808E08 1/10 Scale Tow Shackles Ez Mount (2) | eBay
I also removed the leds from the stock bumpers so when I get around to mounting the tamiya grill and light buckets I can use the leds for that. Plus it cleaned up the chassis too not have a bunch of wires run down it.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:13 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I had an issue with my motor getting hot than with some help on here. figured out it was over geared 60t spur / 16t pinion. So I order a 10t pinion today.

Axle wise I ordered a mini e revo ring and pinion just for the pinion so I can overdrive the front axle. Also some research in to a mrc underdrive gear I might have found one that will work. Just have to wait for it to show now.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I ordered a few more goodies stock mrc ball standoffs so I can get my slickrock shocks mounted just need some shock oil just not sure what weight to go with.
And some scale bits some Shackles to hang on the rear bumper and front bumper from the hot racing tow point mounts which will be used to mount my tf2 bumper still need to cut and drill the aluminum angle I have that I will use to mount the bumper.

And been looking in to a cheap way to chassis mount my servo. think I found a way just need to take things apart and tinker.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Love the Rock Cruiser body, great looking little crawler and good job making stuff work. I was going to suggest Mini E-Revo/Slash ring and pinion and you already have one.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote