Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: finding new trails?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2016, 11:42 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default finding new trails?

What do you look for in finding a place to trail ride? I building something close to a class 1 rig and haven't really taken it out. I know of a couple areas locals go but always wondered how others looked for new places and such.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: finding new trails?

Local hiking trails. Out camping just wandering. A local park with a stream or river usually you can find some trails by. Just anywhere really for class 1 fun.
Nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I live in Essex County, Ontario, Canada....literally the flattest geographic region in all of Canada.
I too scout out local hiking trails and there are also some great single track mountain bike trails in the area that don't see many cyclists anymore.
These are perfect for trail driving.
j.krug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Before I moved there was a lake with a trail around it I liked to go to and a ok place to go fishing too. But also had a crawler vs a scale rig so it was ok but little boring with that type of rig.
The mountain bike idea sounds good but everyone around me get heavy usage.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:30 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Sadly most of the local parks no longer allow mountain bikes on the trails which is a bitch because nearly all of the trails were developed and maintained by us cyclists. The areas around the parks have become populated with homes and too many trail user conflicts arose so the cyclists got the boot.

So...I can't pedal in there anymore but I get good use with my little trucks.

I also like to bring mine whenever we go camping and explore the local trails. I've found some real good spots in and around the campgrounds on many occasions.
j.krug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:32 AM   #6

Parks, hiking trails, and rock climbing (as in people scaling walls with ropes) parks are great places.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Just from Google Earth and typing "Parks near Clackamas", I can see there is a "Riverside County park" that has 2 main spots where rocks are stacked against a river and the boat ramp, and some woods. Second is "Mount Talbert Nature Park", which appears to be a huge park made to hike up and around a huge hill, and it looks to be your best bet.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Just from Google Earth and typing "Parks near Clackamas", I can see there is a "Riverside County park" that has 2 main spots where rocks are stacked against a river and the boat ramp, and some woods. Second is "Mount Talbert Nature Park", which appears to be a huge park made to hike up and around a huge hill, and it looks to be your best bet.
Thanks. The Riverside park is a 4 min drive for my place and never knew it was there wow. Sounds like a great place to start.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:53 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Default finding new trails?

There's a local dentist's office that has a sweet spot. In town with a fake creek, big river rocks, and some larger slate type rocks. It's about a 40' creek with a couple of bridges.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:31 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I take one of my rigs everywhere!!! You never know where you will find a cool spot to crawl. Some of my favourites spots now are places that I saw one cool thing and then just went exploring. I find if I have a truck with me I'm much more likely to go exploring.
Canadiankrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

For me I found some spots by my house because I was taking the dogs for a walk. I live out in the desert SW though so spots are easy to find here. Anywhere there is a gully, culvert, or wash I know I will be able to find some basic to intermediate crawling spots. I try to mark them on my google maps so I remember them. Another thing Vegas has plenty of is construction sites. They usually have stacks of rocks, dirt, and other fun stuff to crawl on but this is not nearly as fun as going out into the wilderness for me.

The only problem I run into taking my rig with me on dog walks is I usually run out of battery before I find the best spot. Then I have to walk home caring my truck with me. lol

-M
Pilot_MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot_MM View Post
For me I found some spots by my house because I was taking the dogs for a walk. I live out in the desert SW though so spots are easy to find here. Anywhere there is a gully, culvert, or wash I know I will be able to find some basic to intermediate crawling spots. I try to mark them on my google maps so I remember them. Another thing Vegas has plenty of is construction sites. They usually have stacks of rocks, dirt, and other fun stuff to crawl on but this is not nearly as fun as going out into the wilderness for me.

The only problem I run into taking my rig with me on dog walks is I usually run out of battery before I find the best spot. Then I have to walk home caring my truck with me. lol

-M
Time to start carrying more batteries!!
Canadiankrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
I went to check out mount Talbert nature park and RCs are not allowed

finding new trails? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for new trails joe_k Pennsylvania 9 05-01-2015 08:25 PM
my trails Nate-ast General Scale Talk 3 01-14-2015 06:39 AM
my trails Nate-ast Newbie General 5 01-11-2015 07:38 PM
looking for trails trail slayer Newbie General 1 06-26-2012 05:29 AM
Breaker-Breaker Trail Finder 2 Finding Trails pardonmyn00b Scale Videos! 4 04-22-2012 03:36 PM