Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Trying to explain to a close friend;

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Trying to explain to a close friend;

I'm not sure how to word this as to not sound pushy, or seem like I'm the type to inflict my POV on somebody else as if I know what someone else wants more than themselves(if that makes sense). Let me just start by saying my best friend is super excited that I got back into rc control and he wants to purchase a truck so he can go run with me and my brother. An XMAXX to be exact, and it seems as though he doesn't understand that me having a somewhat scale Bomber, and Wraith, as well as my brother running a Wraith and a few of our friends with Toyzuki scx10 trucks aren't going to be real compatible with him and an XMAXX. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but we have had Yeti XL's try to run with us on our trails and typical terrain and its as if the operator of those style trucks constantly struggles and ends up doing more carrying than driving of their rig and frankly they don't seem to enjoy themselves in those environments.

All that to say, can any of you help me analogize or put into perspective that I can relay to him to help him better grasp why taking an XMAXX on slow paced trail run or slow crawl isn't exactly a very enjoyable form of the hobby. He literally doesn't understand simply due to ignorance which I'm not upset about just kinda bewildered that he would want a truck so large it literally won't fit any most of the places I run....let alone the thought of him trying to pack it out and into alot of the long hikes we do to get to trailing/crawling areas. I'm trying to be open minded but I just feel like there's someone out there that has ran into this same situation with a friend and somehow convinced them to go the route of a 2.2 scale-trail crawler over a yeti xl or xmaxx or monster losi type rig. Thanks for hearing me out.
If we weren't such close friends I wouldn't give two hoots about what route he chooses to go, but I feel slightly obligated to try to help him in his decision as he has nobody else in his Circe that RC's.
I love XMAXX's but .... maybe someone else gets what I'm asking and feeling here .... and has a few words of wisdom
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Trying to explain to a close friend;

Tell him it'd be like taking an f1 car on a go cart track?

Last edited by QuesoDelDiablo; 11-17-2016 at 08:48 AM.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Take him on a trail ride, let him use a spare rig so he gets the feel of the run. Show him on the trail why the xmaxx isnt a good fit besides the obvious that is is a go fast rig.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:41 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Tough task you have there. We know the difference between the two and what each is designed for and capable of. Words are great but you might be awfully Blue in the face for quit a while. Since you can't rent RC's to show the difference, videos are your best explanation tool IMO.

Try this. If you and your friend drink, grab some beers. Pop open those beers and sit down. You have access to YouTube right? Type in Traxxas xmaxx crawling in the search section. So you don't get to wasted and drive your RC's drunk, watch the first 5 videos or limit watching the videos to the first page only. Then type in for the Bomber and Wraith. Again, watch the first 5 videos or limit watching the videos to the first page only. If after watching the videos he doesn't get it then there is not much you can do.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I have to agree with everyone on this. I am a prime example of having to learn by doing. I had always run 2.2 rigs and thought the 1.9s were dinky and a bit of a joke. I would never purchase one for myself because they were less capable. The turning point came when I met up with a bunch of local guys and got out there and realized that my 2.2 rig was TOO capable for the terrain we were crawling, there was no challenge with the places everyone liked to crawl. When I made the switch to a 1.9 rig I started having a lot more fun because it tested my driving skills far more than my 2.2 did... I was able to drive up and over most every obstacle but with the 1.9 I was challenged and had to pick better lines and drive smarter. Maybe encourage him to start with a "cheaper" used 1.9 or 2.2 rig and try that out and see what he likes and doesn't like. Unfortunately some of us just have to learn the hard and expensive way.
mr.rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Tell him it'd be like taking an f1 car on a go cart track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Take him on a trail ride, let him use a spare rig so he gets the feel of the run. Show him on the trail why the xmaxx isnt a good fit besides the obvious that is is a go fast rig.
Great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
...watch the first 5 videos or limit watching the videos to the first page only. Then type in for the Bomber and Wraith. Again, watch the first 5 videos or limit watching the videos to the first page only. If after watching the videos he doesn't get it then there is not much you can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.rick View Post
I have to agree with everyone on this. I am a prime example of having to learn by doing. I had always run 2.2 rigs and thought the 1.9s were dinky and a bit of a joke. I would never purchase one for myself because they were less capable. The turning point came when I met up with a bunch of local guys and got out there and realized that my 2.2 rig was TOO capable for the terrain we were crawling, there was no challenge with the places everyone liked to crawl. When I made the switch to a 1.9 rig I started having a lot more fun because it tested my driving skills far more than my 2.2 did... I was able to drive up and over most every obstacle but with the 1.9 I was challenged and had to pick better lines and drive smarter. Maybe encourage him to start with a "cheaper" used 1.9 or 2.2 rig and try that out and see what he likes and doesn't like. Unfortunately some of us just have to learn the hard and expensive way.
X2, I used to think crawlers were stupid, loved my go fast RC. When I finally got into crawlers, I went 2.2 and thought 1.9, scalers and leaf springs were stupid...lol...now I only have 1.9s in my fleet.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Trying to explain to a close friend; - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You can't explain that Bigdrewbowski Chit Chat 67 02-27-2013 07:12 PM
I lost a close friend today..... TattooKenny Chit Chat 41 08-23-2010 08:19 AM
Friend requests-are you a friend when you approve? pantablo Comments, Suggestions, and Help 3 10-24-2009 02:51 PM