Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Lights/LED controller advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Lights/LED controller advice

Ok so ive seen a bunch of rigs with lights/LED light bars out there and i want to do the same thing. I'd like to hook up headlights, taillights, and a light bar to a controller where i can turn it on or off with my 3rd channel button on my TX.

What is the best way to do that? is there a kit that i can purchase with all of the components needed?

I have the JK body on my chassis and would like to use one of the three:

VP Rigid Industries 6" light bar
MadDog RC super slim LED light bar (preference because it looks more scale)
RC4wd kc hilites 6" light bar

I'm assuming the headlights, taillights and brake lights are just standard 5 or 3m LEDs that would plug into the controller?

Will i need a separate BEC system or does the controller do all of that?
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #2

Default Re: Lights/LED controller advice

You can purchase a light controller from heyOK, and I think onetoomanyrcs has one aswell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bagelbreakhq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Hi,I have headlights,taillights and a light bar on my Wraith,all connected to my receiver via a HeyOK receiver controlled switch.The head and tail lights are wired into one receiver plug and the light bar into another.Both of these are plugged into a splitter which is then plugged into the switch which is plugged into the receiver's 3rd channel.Everything works fine.Hope this is helpful.
Old Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Kid View Post
Hi,I have headlights,taillights and a light bar on my Wraith,all connected to my receiver via a HeyOK receiver controlled switch.The head and tail lights are wired into one receiver plug and the light bar into another.Both of these are plugged into a splitter which is then plugged into the switch which is plugged into the receiver's 3rd channel.Everything works fine.Hope this is helpful.
would you be able to take a picture of your connections? im leaning towards getting the HeyOK controller. what light bar did you install on your wraith? i have an SCX10.2 with the JK unlimited body and i really wanted to use the MadDogRC slim 6" light bar.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

MG_0273.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/IMG] If all the pictures have come out,the first two show the splitter that the lights are plugged into.The other end of this plugs into the HeyOK switch which is plugged into the receiver.The light bar is a cheap eBay item from a seller in Taiwan.It is very bright but build quality could be better.Okay for the money though.
Attached Images

Last edited by Old Kid; 07-15-2017 at 04:50 AM.
Old Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Cheap and know soldering?
Have any broken servos laying around?

Rip a servo open, throw the gears and motor in your parts bin. Hook current limit resistor (150-400 ohm) to one motor pad, resistor to led, and other led leg on at other motor pad.

Plug in to rx. Flip switch, light should go on and off, play with pot until it does. If full travel gets no light either switch position, flip the led to opposite pads. Retest.

Hook up more leds! Bigger servos can run more lights, but even micro servos are suprising how many they run.

Protip, change the pot for a resistor Y bridge using a matched set of resistor between 2k and 5k, after you know it works, For a more durable and smaller package.

Run it on a 3 pos switch channel, you can run a set of lights in position 1, center both off, run a different set of lights in position 2. Light set 1 uses the opposite polarity as light set 2 an the motor pads.
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote

Lights/LED controller advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lights/LED controller advice saddlesore Electronics 8 11-03-2016 03:46 PM
Lights/LED controller advice saddlesore Axial SCX10 II 11 11-02-2016 11:53 AM
Axial SCX10 and AX24257 simple LED controller w/LED lights problem driverx2 Axial SCX-10 6 12-08-2014 08:31 PM