Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: New Traxxas Scaler - Land Rover Defender 110

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #421

Default Re: New Traxxas Scaler - Land Rover Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
you forgot the 2speed parts and locking diffs would be optional let alone the servos for them. i'll GLADLY pay a little more for a product that comes from a company who shows some effort to reward and support their consumers.

and doesnt traxxas have a lifetime warranty on their electrical components? send it in, get it fixed and sent back for the cost of shipping. they also got that powerup thing where you trade-in your old electronics and get new stuff for 50% off list price.

axials warranty, however, from the meager bit of info they supply on it is only good until 10 days after purchase? no lifetime warranty... and we all know they put garbage electronics in their rtr's and skip every possible corner knowing that most of us will just hit up the aftermarket.
I agree. Axial nickles and dimes the crap out of its customers. I can't think of a better example than the SMT10 monster truck. And that truck starts off being overpriced.

Axial contributes Axial Fest if you're into that sort of thing. Traxxas has gotten the RC name out there more than anybody.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #422
RCC Addict

If it was Axial, the 2-speed and locking diffs would have been billed as big features and...would have never been released. Maybe 2 years later, if we're lucky.

Also, durability wise, I'm sure this thing will be fine. I never had a diff problem in my Summit despite all my abuse, locked diffs to try and roll it over, etc. I know a lot of people tried to get the diffs beefed up but that mainly centered around 6S use. Plastic wise I only ever broke and a-arm and wore out a skid plate on it as well, the only times I don't care for Traxxas plastic is when their driveshafts explode on the first 3S runs.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #423
I wanna be Dave

I find it amusing that people cram in 400+oz servos and 3-4S 550 can drivetrains into their tiny trucks to drive 7 mph on the trail and then complain how fragile they are. They are not built like Emaxx's and LST's, and were never designed for that much power. Then begins the aftermarket buying spree so they can run those electronics. Never understood it myself.

The same people are going to drop in a 400+oz servo into this truck that I'm sure steers perfectly fine in 95% of situations, break a knuckle with stresses it was never designed for, and then complain about how cheap it is.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying it. but it is what it is.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:19 PM   #424
MODERATOR™

Pretty sure that's how it'll go, also.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #425
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I find it amusing that people cram in 400+oz servos and 3-4S 550 can drivetrains into their tiny trucks to drive 7 mph on the trail and then complain how fragile they are. They are not built like Emaxx's and LST's, and were never designed for that much power. Then begins the aftermarket buying spree so they can run those electronics. Never understood it myself.

The same people are going to drop in a 400+oz servo into this truck that I'm sure steers perfectly fine in 95% of situations, break a knuckle with stresses it was never designed for, and then complain about how cheap it is.

I was thinking 600oz servo, Then I realized that it has 1.9 wheels so 400 should be adequate.

And it comes stock with a 550.......Im thinking Dewalt motor power....
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:52 PM   #426
I wanna be Dave

The details look to be well thought out, I definitely want to have a closer look at it.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:18 PM   #427
RCC Addict

Can't wait to see all the aluminum hop-ups for this truck
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:42 PM   #428
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by malickie View Post
Edit: Just noticed something, those axles might look a little funny if someone is looking for more of a scale look. The front is a way off center axle where as the rear is centered. Look's kinda funny when looking at the bottom view picture, and not remotely scale looking. Hahah, here comes the after market vendors to somehow deal with that axle, though I am not sure how that would be doable given how the transmission is setup.

You may want to do a google image search for "straight axle 4wd" before you stick with that statement. almost every major manufacturer of a straight axle 4wd truck has an offset front pumpkin, because of the way a transfer case is positioned.

Humvee's and Unimogs also have portal axles, not just the mercedes g63. there are also several companies that make bolt on portals, like mopar, dyna trac and a few other smaller companies as well.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:41 PM   #429
I wanna be Dave

Default New Traxxas Scaler - Land Rover Defender 110

Sounds like the For Sale section is going to get busy for easy funding of these.

They do look good.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:54 PM   #430

Quote:
Edit: Just noticed something, those axles might look a little funny if someone is looking for more of a scale look. The front is a way off center axle where as the rear is centered. Look's kinda funny when looking at the bottom view picture, and not remotely scale looking. Hahah, here comes the after market vendors to somehow deal with that axle, though I am not sure how that would be doable given how the transmission is setup.
are you thinking a 1:1 front diff is typically centered like an scx?
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:56 PM   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
almost every major manufacturer of a straight axle 4wd truck has an offset front pumpkin, because of the way a transfer case is positioned.
i assume its also for better oil pan and crossmember clearances.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:42 PM   #432

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post

I agree to an extent. But take the original SCX10 RTR. That had plastic links that easily folded under the stock motor and servo. Axial was so cheap with the original SCX10.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:13 PM   #433
Rock Stacker

Quote:

This is wrong in every possible way. Have you ever been under a real truck? It drives me nuts that most of the scale trucks have centered front diffs as it is glaringly un-scale. Traxxas has nailed it!
Myndefuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #434
Quarry Creeper

Default New Traxxas Scaler - Land Rover Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myndefuk View Post
This is wrong in every possible way. Have you ever been under a real truck? It drives me nuts that most of the scale trucks have centered front diffs as it is glaringly un-scale. Traxxas has nailed it!

Allow me to quote myself before everyone decided to jump on the bashing someone train.

"Interesting. Didn't realize that existed in the 1:1 world. Learn something new everyday."

And yes I have been under my Durango and never noticed off center diffs. Than again when I am usually under there it is to fix something and not stare at the diffs and go hey look at that they are off center.

And yes Badhoopty, I honestly thought most 1:1 vehicles had centered diffs, at least most passenger vehicles anyway, but either way never really took the time to look at how everything was put together under my vehicles as I only ever drive my 1:1 vehicles to go the the store or do chores and if anything goes wrong I am just under there to fix the issue and continue about my day. Can't afford to have a nice offroad 1:1 vehicle like some people around here :P let alone time. Hence the reason I got a few RC's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by malickie; 04-29-2017 at 08:57 PM.
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #435
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
You need to read the Traxxas reason for the diffs.... plausible.
I have never used the beeps to adjust any of mine, I use the Bluetooth app and it works pretty well.I don't care for the Traxxas TX feel as I'm using a Futaba 4PLS , but I will see

Hang up and Drive
True, read it after you posted this and it does seem plausible, at least until someone decides to toss an over powered brushless system into the rig lol. I only ever had issues with my own diffs on the summit with stock electronics so that is where I was coming from. Broke front and rear diffs and it wasn't even doing something that I would think would cause an issue. Was at a stop, switched to lock my diffs. went forward and was attempting to go over some small rocks and poof there went the diff locker. Fixed it all, and happened again a few weeks later. Must have just been horrible luck or something.

Someone actually did manage to come out with a beefed up locked diff system for the summit, just never had the money or time to go ahead and do it, though I imagine if I had, the issue of me breaking the locking diff probably would have not happened anymore.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:01 PM   #436
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
i assume its also for better oil pan and crossmember clearances.
Exactly. Beside the fact that there's an engine in the middle already, the driveshaft has to get from the transfer case to the front diff. Big 4x4 (6x6) trucks have a center drop transfer case and centered front diff. Basically everything we are messing with has a transfer case that sits sideways (either left or right) and an offset front diff on the same side.

Almost all rear diffs are centered, some european stuff is off center, as are some of the Suzuki's.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:25 AM   #437
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Allow me to quote myself before everyone decided to jump on the bashing someone train.

"Interesting. Didn't realize that existed in the 1:1 world. Learn something new everyday."

And yes I have been under my Durango and never noticed off center diffs. Than again when I am usually under there it is to fix something and not stare at the diffs and go hey look at that they are off center.

And yes Badhoopty, I honestly thought most 1:1 vehicles had centered diffs, at least most passenger vehicles anyway, but either way never really took the time to look at how everything was put together under my vehicles as I only ever drive my 1:1 vehicles to go the the store or do chores and if anything goes wrong I am just under there to fix the issue and continue about my day. Can't afford to have a nice offroad 1:1 vehicle like some people around here :P let alone time. Hence the reason I got a few RC's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry man. I wasn't trying to beat you up. I was just surprised to read this considering the emphasis on true-to-scale around here. Had a few in the tank and didn't mean for it to come out that way. I know trucks really well, but am very new to RC, so I'm sure I've spouted off some silly questions and comments around here lol.
Myndefuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #438
Quarry Creeper

I' am not biased against any manufacturer one way or another so I like this thing. Not typically one to jump on a new rig but I'm getting this damn thing ASAP when it comes out.
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #439
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myndefuk View Post
Sorry man. I wasn't trying to beat you up. I was just surprised to read this considering the emphasis on true-to-scale around here. Had a few in the tank and didn't mean for it to come out that way. I know trucks really well, but am very new to RC, so I'm sure I've spouted off some silly questions and comments around here lol.
No worries, was in a funky mood myself yesterday. Must have been all the bad drivers going so slow all day and having to drive behind them
Old 04-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #440
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
No worries, was in a funky mood myself yesterday. Must have been all the bad drivers going so slow all day and having to drive behind them

Peace. Love. Internet.

Nice for a change
karajabola is offline   Reply With Quote

New Traxxas Scaler - Land Rover Defender 110 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Land Rover Defender 110 dimensions jonesssy123 Paint and Body 5 03-18-2014 04:41 PM
Land Rover Defender 110 Camel Trophy emiliocampi Scale Videos! 0 07-15-2013 07:38 PM
Land Rover Defender 110 Station Wagon Aléxis Marques 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 05-17-2013 11:36 AM
***land rover defender 110 camel trophy*** igonzalezlago 1.9 Scale Rigs 20 11-30-2011 11:13 PM
Land Rover Defender 110 SW build help Le0Heart Axial SCX-10 1 09-26-2011 08:53 PM