Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Rgt rr-4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Rgt rr-4

Is there a source for replacement parts? I really want the cage/body!
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2017, 04:28 AM   #22

Quick update, I ended up getting a second one of these which came with Tamiya plugs and a different radio with similar electronics and functionality to the normal redcat flysky GT2 ones but with a different shape and only 4x AA's.

Cheers,
Crouch
CamoCrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:57 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Guys I'm about to buy one of these for my 8yo birthday in august, being based on axial I figure they're pretty tough? are the elecs actually waterproof at all?
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
Guys I'm about to buy one of these for my 8yo birthday in august, being based on axial I figure they're pretty tough? are the elecs actually waterproof at all?
Hey Klampy,

Can't comment on the toughness yet as I haven't driven it enough but i'm hopeful!

Some of the electronics are advertised as waterproof but personally i'd take it with a grain of salt. They may well be but i'd suspect other parts of the car may rust...
I'd treat them as splash proof personally but not much more.

Cheers
Old 08-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Cool, that's fair enough too. As things break I'm sure I can fabracobble on my axial spares n such.

Keen to see his reaction. It's the 20th this month.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Here is how the original truck has progressed. Not much left other than the trans, skid, and chassis plates. 😁
Attached Images

looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:44 AM   #27

Hey,

Quick update on the two i'm running with a couple of things to look out for.

I handed them over to my kids and their cousins (aged between 5 and 10) (just on 7.2v NiMH) and let them run amok in an empty dam.
Pretty quickly the steering went on both.
The stock set-up has no servo saver and both of the plastic servo horns stripped, plus both servo's now have problems centering now.
Additionally the servo has a metal head on it and normal screw thread (not tapped) and both screws holding the servo's horns backed themselves out.
A little disappointing given they're supposed to be rock racers but I guess not surprising considering the price point.
So I strongly recommend adding a servo saver immediately to avoid this problem and extend the servo life, plus thread-locking the servo screws in place.

Secondly the plastic rear locker/spool in one gave way (as expected) but thankfully I had one of the HSP Everest 10 metal ones to swap in. Recommend ordering one or two of these to keep on hand.

Apart from those two minor / expected problems i'm pretty happy with them as crawler / rock racers for the kids to use.

Cheers,
Crouch
Old 01-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #28

Have one and love it!!! Bought on eBay for $115 used.
Had to upgrade Servo, one came on it stock actually melted threw in a tactic and it’s been great. Thing climbs unbelievably well.
Did strip out locker but upgrade aluminum parts for these rigs are plentiful on eBay, for 10.00, hoping it’s ok quality.
Have ordered aluminum c hubs and steering gear to help poor turning radius.
Wish I could figure out how to post vids on here cause took some great ones today with only three wheels crawling like a champ.
Great for trailing as well, little more speed be ok so batteries next 3s ready so that’s big bonus.
But for less than $200 gonna have awsome tough rig.
When u pick it up just feels rugged.
Softer shocks be nice though.
OP right about tires as well nice grip for stock!

BTW also goes by FTX Mauler Crawler, British, but has all parts for sale online .
FTX has cheaper 2in1 esc/reciever.
Also Exceed Maxstone 10 also shares many parts like E10.

Honestly it’s kinda like a Wroncho. Has wide stance like wraith but more of an scx10 chassis etc. honestly the chassis and frame is unbelievably nice better than axial imop!!

Little video of it crawling on rocks for anyone that wants to see it basically stock diff body I had, and new Servo, along with it bein 3 wheel drive in vid cause of shitty diffs. New ones haven’t arrived

YouTube
Rgt rock racer crawling pt2

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GZR2dGa3ROE

Video of rgt rock hammer flexing over rocks with one rear wheel slipping.

For anyone looking to help steering radius, go on eBay buy hsp crawler Steering c hubs and steering arms come in sets of 2 aluminum upgrades. Trading those out for less than 15$ will seriously help out the steering radius, the stock ones that come on all redcat, exceed, hsp, and others are bulky and hit impeeding on turning and burning out servos also I believe.

Upgrade also looks good

Last edited by THX_138; 02-15-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Masonsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonsteeler View Post
For anyone looking to help steering radius, go on eBay buy hsp crawler Steering c hubs and steering arms come in sets of 2 aluminum upgrades. Trading those out for less than 15$ will seriously help out the steering radius, the stock ones that come on all redcat, exceed, hsp, and others are bulky and hit impeeding on turning and burning out servos also I believe.
Upgrade also looks good
Axial high steer parts would also work with some other parts or even xr mod it.

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 02-08-2018 at 04:13 PM.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
Axial night steer parts would also work with some other parts or even xr mod it.
I have one of these for my son, I'd tend to agree that the xrmod would work, but the axial locker doesn't fit. so tbh, you would be best retrofitting an ax10 axle up front and xrmod that.

an ally locker won't hold up to xrmod steering. i shredded a gpm ally locker in my ar60 with universals.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Its the same axle as Everest 10 / gen7 axles it will fit lots of Everest 10/ gen7 guys use them. I even have underdrive gear and locker in my Everest rear axle.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:50 PM   #32

Aren’t the axles wider on the rr4?
It’s axles are same width as wraith, where the gen7/e10 more like scx axles.
I realize this has nothing g to do with steering upgrades, just observation.
The aluminum ones I put on almost let front tires rub bumper. And when I put stock body on today, been running different body, there was tons of rubbing.
They still stick Dow where as high steering ones don’t.
Could one of u post link to highsteers u put on?
Old 02-09-2018, 09:55 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Aren’t the axles wider on the rr4?
It’s axles are same width as wraith, where the gen7/e10 more like scx axles.
I realize this has nothing g to do with steering upgrades, just observation.
The aluminum ones I put on almost let front tires rub bumper. And when I put stock body on today, been running different body, there was tons of rubbing.
They still stick Dow where as high steering ones don’t.
Could one of u post link to highsteers u put on?

The axles are the same, the hexes are wider. Its cheaper to make new hexes and stub shafts then build a brand new axle design. All hsp based rigs use the same axles. 1/10 rigs and 1/12-1/18 rigs there are only two axle designed 1/10 is base off ax10/scx10. 1/12-1/18 are based Off of losi mrc/ vaterra slickrock.

Little proof
Old 02-10-2018, 11:27 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

THANK YOU hillbillyrc!!! Thanks to Photophucket's now infamous Debacle, your post was the first look I've had at this interesting Rig. I'd say it's a decent bargain Rig..... They just Forgot the bargain bit! I'd try one, as I NEED lower priced Stuff. But over $200?? NO freaking way! Thanks for all the insight in this Thread. If I can find one used......
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:33 AM   #35
RCC Addict

I've seen them prices below 200 and free shipping
Old 02-16-2018, 06:35 PM   #36

Seems too me that $200 is fair market value for this rig. Haven’t run a gen 7 myself, but this is definately comparable. I’d actually be surprised if gen7 can keep up with rock hammer under almost any test stock. Climbing mudding or racing. Gen 7 has scaler body, but that only bonus, throw a proline on this and it will look bad ass!!

Only going at gen 7 cause same price range, and seems to be standard bearer for that price range.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:08 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

The HSP version sells for about $220 AUD down here. Approx $170 USD.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
honchojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:16 AM   #38

Quote:
Seems too me that $200 is fair market value for this rig. Haven’t run a gen 7 myself, but this is definately comparable. I’d actually be surprised if gen7 can keep up with rock hammer under almost any test stock. Climbing mudding or racing. Gen 7 has scaler body, but that only bonus, throw a proline on this and it will look bad ass!!

Only going at gen 7 cause same price range, and seems to be standard bearer for that price range.
I don't know how good the tires are on the RR-4, but the Gen7 tires are actually pretty good. My Gen7 can go just about anywhere that my Bomber can, so I'm willing to bet it would keep up with an RR-4 without much issue also.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #39

The gen7 tires do look nice, watched bunch of videos on em after my previous post. The rr4 tires are very sticky, but tread not as aggressive looking? The rr4 tire is a 2.2 they’re big, and heavy. Been driving in snow and cold mostly and they get hard, still work good cold, but they’re very soft at room temp.

The gen7 looks like a great car as well, as far as the electronics transmission axles etc they’re same rig, with different chassis and bells and whistles. After watching a ton of videos on them don’t think I’d choose it over the Rgt, for rock crawling the rgt is awsome, which is what I like doing mostly, with wideners however cheap and long wheelbase it’s super stable.

Little video nothing special driving one handed for first time�

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkolVgk5PyQ

Last edited by Masonsteeler; 02-23-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Wrong link
Old 06-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #40

G'Day,

Just a quick note that Tower Hobbies is bringing these into stock under the name of 'Force Hammerjaw Rock Bouncer', looking largely the same as other offerings (FTX Mauler) with different body graphics and electronics.

I notice in the pics that some of these more recent models have a guard over the spur gear which I think is a nice addition, as i've had a battery cable get chewed up as it passed straight over this area.

My two are still going quite well despite my kids giving them a beating!

Cheers,
Crouch

Rgt rr-4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RGT bronco hillbillyrc General Scale Talk 74 08-28-2017 08:06 PM
RGT RC 4 Motor in front mod? nerdtek Newbie General 4 02-20-2017 04:03 PM
HSP (RGT) Rock Cruiser (Toyota FJ40) snow crawl Maratko Videos! 0 02-08-2017 10:04 PM