Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Shocks are overrated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Shocks are overrated

I'm currently building a tube chassis and I've got some questions about shocks, im about to give up and say no shocks, hence the name of the thread
First of, what kind of shock should i run??? I've got trailing arms in the back, so i kinda like the idea of running yeti sized shocks on it on the back, but thats way to king of a shock for the front.. want to keep it around 100-110mm on the front, any input? I've heard a lot of good things about the traxxas big bores, what do y'all think of them?
Also, is a single shear shock tab okay to run? Id rather have double shear but seems like some shocks have different size ball on the top?
Thanks y'all!
P.s. sorry about the long post
Flippinrigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2017, 10:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Shocks are overrated

Don't give up on shock, trust me running no shock at all is a very bad idea. Is the rig for more speed runs and or crawling? Traxxas big bores with some spring tuning are a good all around shocks. The rc4wd king coil overs look really cool and they seemed to work well (I have never run them but, a friend had them and he liked them). Both of them are made in the sizes you listed.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
RCC Addict

This thread made me chuckle, I feel your pain and irritation. A buddy and I threaten to buy cnc machines to build shocks at custom lenghts! Look at Assiciated SC10 rear shocks to put on the front, length should be good and they aren't that "fat" for clearance sake. Emulsion shocks. Yeti rears are good, 5" long with an 1-5/8" stroke if I recall, not "fat" either. HPI Savage shocks are 6" with a 2" stroke, for what that's worth.

Something I consider at this point: How much wheel travel am I trying to achieve, which leads to where on the arms (leverage now needs to be considered for spring rate availabity) will the shocks mount and on the chassis, which now dictates shock length and stroke. Finally, with all that info, at full compression, the shock should be 90 degrees to the arm to be truly progressive. You can single shear the shock tabs, provided they are made thick enough to carry the load, 16 ga would be as light as you'll probably want to go, on a crawler. Basher or U4, I wouldn't do it unless its easy to cut them out and weld new ones in should they bend.

Where are the build pics for this thing?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:55 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
This thread made me chuckle, I feel your pain and irritation. A buddy and I threaten to buy cnc machines to build shocks at custom lenghts! Look at Assiciated SC10 rear shocks to put on the front, length should be good and they aren't that "fat" for clearance sake. Emulsion shocks. Yeti rears are good, 5" long with an 1-5/8" stroke if I recall, not "fat" either. HPI Savage shocks are 6" with a 2" stroke, for what that's worth.

Something I consider at this point: How much wheel travel am I trying to achieve, which leads to where on the arms (leverage now needs to be considered for spring rate availabity) will the shocks mount and on the chassis, which now dictates shock length and stroke. Finally, with all that info, at full compression, the shock should be 90 degrees to the arm to be truly progressive. You can single shear the shock tabs, provided they are made thick enough to carry the load, 16 ga would be as light as you'll probably want to go, on a crawler. Basher or U4, I wouldn't do it unless its easy to cut them out and weld new ones in should they bend.

Where are the build pics for this thing?
How are the gmade piggyback Shocks? Im using my buddy's atm for mock up for the front, but i want something longer for on the back, so idk how I feel about having 2 different kinds of shocks

Anyways, this is where I'm at right now with it, not totally sure on the spare yet or not
Old 06-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
RCC Addict

G Mades, I personally haven't run them. I like the looks and the concept of adjustment, but have read you really have to work on them so they don't leak oil. As for different shocks, color is the concern? They all work off the same design platform. Not like you could do shim stacks and valving inside these little shocks. Score Yeti shock bodies are silver, Associated are silver. You can de-anodized colors you don't like. What matters is shock length and stroke in the end. Rc4wd Kings look the part and come in different lengths, just may be a little fragile if you're going fast all the time. Powerstrokes come in a variety of sizes as well. How much $$$ do you want to throw at shocks when the cheap ones work as well or nearly as well as the expensive ones if you know how to tune them. Full circle now, yes, shocks are over rated!
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I'm running gmade rsd shocks. I packed the orings full of green slime and they aren't leaking. I like them. I've also used the eBay knockoff king shocks. The cheap blue ones and they are super smooth and don't leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
durfeec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

What about the boom racing piggy backs? Any feedback on them?

Shocks are overrated - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flex is overrated MaFoDes Chit Chat 21 08-26-2015 04:12 PM
Are My Batteries' Capacities Overrated?? Tommy R Electronics 10 03-21-2011 01:11 PM
Ohio State...........overrated!!!! DISTURBIN' tha PEACE Chit Chat 10 01-08-2007 09:26 PM