Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Everest Gen7 Crawler by RedCat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Everest Gen7 Crawler by RedCat

If you would have ever told me i was going to buy a red cat crawler i would have laughed in your face. But truth be told, i pre-ordered the standard version since its got lower LCG then the pro.
Pro seen here: Everest-Gen7
(inner flares, cvd's and roof rack are the only differences from pro to standard)

We, in Jacksonville FL, have created a special group of future crawlers called the Cheap Box Stock Class 2 where all we will run is RedCat Gen7's.

Since no one knows how it will be we have set some rules in place to things we know we'll hate and we'll allow to get replaced
1) radio can be swapped out ( not sure if the stock radio will be good)
2) aluminum horns (plastic factory)
3) Lipo Battery (comes with Nimh)
4) servo that doesn't require bec (hexfly are metal geared though)
5) up to a 27t motor brushed (we think they come with 19t)

the chassis resembles a SCX10 design, we hope the axles are copies of the old scx10 but it will be interesting.

Other than a few changes.. the idea is to keep it near stock as possible so someone wants to try crawling out can buy a $200 RTR crawler that looks like a decent crawler.
Joe aka ExoCage on here will do an Unboxing Video on Youtube. should be interesting.. Hopefully a pro vs standard. So keep you eyes open for that
jeepgeek2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Location: In West Monroe,LA...yes,where Duck Dynasty is filmed
Default Re: Everest Gen7 Crawler by RedCat

I've never thought Redcat had too much to offer, mainly because they mimic other manufacturers R&D, but it doesn't look too bad especially for someone just wanting to try out " life in the slow lane"
krazykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgeek2002 View Post
If you would have ever told me i was going to buy a red cat crawler i would have laughed in your face. But truth be told, i pre-ordered the standard version since its got lower LCG then the pro.
Pro seen here: Everest-Gen7
(inner flares, cvd's and roof rack are the only differences from pro to standard)

We, in Jacksonville FL, have created a special group of future crawlers called the Cheap Box Stock Class 2 where all we will run is RedCat Gen7's.

Since no one knows how it will be we have set some rules in place to things we know we'll hate and we'll allow to get replaced
1) radio can be swapped out ( not sure if the stock radio will be good)
2) aluminum horns (plastic factory)
3) Lipo Battery (comes with Nimh)
4) servo that doesn't require bec (hexfly are metal geared though)
5) up to a 27t motor brushed (we think they come with 19t)

the chassis resembles a SCX10 design, we hope the axles are copies of the old scx10 but it will be interesting.

Other than a few changes.. the idea is to keep it near stock as possible so someone wants to try crawling out can buy a $200 RTR crawler that looks like a decent crawler.
Joe aka ExoCage on here will do an Unboxing Video on Youtube. should be interesting.. Hopefully a pro vs standard. So keep you eyes open for that
Based on the owners manual, there are a number of differences between the Sport and Pro aside from the cosmetics you mentioned. The Pro comes with CVA front axles, the Sport comes with dogbone axles. The Pro comes with a solid 1 piece ring gear & spool. I'm a bit fuzzy on what the Sport comes with, but I believe it's the 18009 that everybody uses to upgrade the plastic Everest 10s. The Sport comes with plastic bodied shocks, the Pro comes with aluminum bodied shocks. Additionally, the Pro comes with a full hinged cage system that the body mounts to, whereas the Sport comes with the bare body that mounts to conventional body posts. Oh yeah, and the Sport & Pro also appear to come with different wheel foams, most likely because the Pro needs stiffer foams to help offset the higher CoG.

Between the scale accessories and that whole cage system, I too felt that the Sport would likely have a much better CoG, so I chose that one. I do plan to add the CVAs as soon as they're available, and I may add the fender flares to the body just because I think they look great. My fingers are crossed that the Sport doesn't come with the cheap plastic lockers that the Everest 10 has. I guess I'll find out soon enough!

Lastly, I believe that the transmitter is the good old Flysky GT2B or some variant thereof. It should be a perfectly serviceable unit. I run a bunch of them, and the only time I run into any issues is if a couple flysky users stand too close to each other. In those cases, there seems to be some throttle & steering glitching.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 09-14-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I too am not a redcat fan but I'll have one of these, I hope they don't have that crappy plastic locker in the axles, anything metal would be better, even led.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #5

My new servo for my pre-ordered Gen7 arrived today. It's a Turnigy MG959 V2. It's a great looking servo!

Old 09-15-2017, 06:13 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

we use those 959's all the time.. just make sure you use a BEC because they use a lot of juice!
HK usually runs out because we got people ordering those non stop!
We're planning on finding a cheap but efficient servo that doesnt require a bec to power it up.. keeping it relatively stock..
the hexfly might be sufficient although slow.
Probably rebind the Hacked FLYSKY to the recievers and call it done! i m not "wasting" a futaba rx on this car.

Jim85IROC: Yes i knew about the other things you mentioned but i only listed a few to get you all to look at them.
i 'm not big crawler guy like i used to be so this might be fun to play with..Joe has always been a nut on crawling as he has his own youtube followers on his custom built Traxxas TRX4 which was featured in RC Action under readers ride of this month
Old 09-15-2017, 06:17 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

BTW.. i dont really see why this got moved to General SCALE Talk.... there is nothing "SCALE" about a red cat!
Old 09-15-2017, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:
we use those 959's all the time.. just make sure you use a BEC because they use a lot of juice!
HK usually runs out because we got people ordering those non stop!
We're planning on finding a cheap but efficient servo that doesnt require a bec to power it up.. keeping it relatively stock..
the hexfly might be sufficient although slow.
Probably rebind the Hacked FLYSKY to the recievers and call it done! i m not "wasting" a futaba rx on this car.

Jim85IROC: Yes i knew about the other things you mentioned but i only listed a few to get you all to look at them.
i 'm not big crawler guy like i used to be so this might be fun to play with..Joe has always been a nut on crawling as he has his own youtube followers on his custom built Traxxas TRX4 which was featured in RC Action under readers ride of this month
Thanks for the info on the servo. I ordered up a couple cheap Turnigy BECs to try. Hopefully they can supply a sufficient amount of current. I don't want to use a $20 Castle BEC to drive a $30 servo if I can help it.

That said, what voltage do you guys usually send to these servos? Hobbyking's website lists the upper voltage as 6V, but the Tower Pro website indicates 7.2v as the upper limit. I've got both flavors of BEC, and since this is only going on a 1.9 rig I'm assuming that 6.0V would be fine, but if I end up with this servo on something else, it'll be good to know what it can safely handle.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
BTW.. i dont really see why this got moved to General SCALE Talk.... there is nothing "SCALE" about a red cat!
How do you figure?
Then where would it go? Barrage too? Just because its not a licensed recognizable body?
Im curious as to why you think it doesnt belong here.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:20 AM   #10

Redcat posted an image of the cargo vessel's position in the pacific ocean last week on their facebook page. Based on that, I believe that they're on schedule for the September 29 drop date that they've been touting for a while now.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:54 AM   #11
RCC Addict

According to their FaceBook page, pre-orders are shipping out today!
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:13 AM   #12
RCC Addict

A in boxing video
https://youtu.be/eqdFeSlONEA
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #13
RCC Addict

A running video https://youtu.be/UEwhO8To980
Old 10-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

i got mine in but hadn't had a chance to look at it..
From what i saw
the axle locker is plastic.. it has bearings but the frame is NOT C-Channel. its just like the Ground Pounder.. Metal plates
They axles don't look like SCx10's either..
hows the Transmission? anyone take it apart yet?
Old 10-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #15
RCC Addict

All plastic gears
https://youtu.be/_YlgNAZFT2g
Old 10-06-2017, 09:34 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Yeah Joe told me...
sucks.... but for $199 you gotta figure its their way of cost cutting.
Tomorrow I get it and test it out for the 1st time. I'm hoping its better than my CC01 FreeLander..
Old 10-08-2017, 05:25 PM   #17

I got the black pro version and did some crawling today. The servo horn needs replaced to get more steering throw. Then I shaved that strip on the back of the steering knuckles - now i get a few more degrees of steering. I had a spare night crawler light bar so i mounted that and it plugs straight into the RX.

That tire weights almost 5 oz up top so i am replacing that with another scale item. The other goodies aren't that heavy.
Jeepmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

So we submarined them.. took them in sand.. drove them all over the forest. Did really good. And for $199 you dont worry if it falls in the water. mine did numerous times.
The foams sucked up water like a shamwow! i had to unbead them when i got home to remove the water and let dry.
other than that.. Really impressed with the box stock class we'll be running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPLJaaS3Ba4
Old 10-10-2017, 06:00 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Found out you can use a Kimbrough 32p gear on it.
part# 129 54t KIMBROUGH KIMC0129 129 Precision Spur Gear 32P 54T | eBay
if you want to change from a 48 to a 32 pitch.
Change the brass pinion to Harden Steel as brass doesnt last long.
Shave the insides of the knuckles to gain better steering
Swap to traxxas servo or Power HD LF-20mg servo.. both are around $30 and keep it low budget
The body is flexible and works well. Believe it or not.. Traxxas Land Rover 110 body fits! the Wheel Wells match perfectly!
the only thing is you would need to fab up some new body mounts since the r-c are mounted on an angle.
As i mentioned before the foams in the tires suck! keep them out of water!

Theres a R-C Gen 7 FB group out there.. So idiots thinking of taking foams out and putting bb's in them lol
More power to you!
Old 10-10-2017, 06:02 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

There will be Gen 7 Comp in Lake City FL at the Barbarian Scale Plex .. if you search for B-S-P on FB you ll find it.

Everest Gen7 Crawler by RedCat - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A deeper look within the Redcat Everest 10 crawler TakeOffYouHoser Redcat Crawlers 1124 11-28-2021 09:18 AM
Redcat Everest 10 Ctrain57 General Crawlers 12 11-29-2018 09:43 PM
Redcat Racing Everest Gen7 1/10th scale 1.9 603Hobby Redcat Crawlers 34 12-10-2017 08:17 AM
The new redcat everest-10 crawler? terrywolfpack Redcat Crawlers 83 06-29-2016 01:41 PM
Redcat Everest 16 sled General Crawlers 4 10-01-2015 10:56 PM