Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Transmissions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2017, 07:32 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Transmissions?

Getting ready to embark on my first true scale type build. Utilizing a 66 Ford Truggy with an all tube chassis. Its a heavy pig already with nothing mounted up. It will utilize a wraith skid. I'm tossing around the idea of using a centered rear housing designed for Yeti and trying to run inline motor and transmission setup to fight torque lean, as I'll be utilizing a roc412. I have ZERO knowledge in this area is my real issue, like none. Don't have any idea where to begin looking. Any help would be appreciated. I THINK I'm on the right track for fighting the lean, but I could be totally off base too, so set me straight if I'm wrong.

Thank you in advance.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Transmissions?

If you want true to scale I'd go with the SSD RC Scale Transmission. I used it for the first time and that's all I'm ever going to use now. It's a great tranny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scaler44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

i think you mean GCM? SSD doesn't have any scale trans on their site.
GCM Webstore Canada International - Drivetrain Parts
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
Getting ready to embark on my first true scale type build. Utilizing a 66 Ford Truggy with an all tube chassis. Its a heavy pig already with nothing mounted up. It will utilize a wraith skid. I'm tossing around the idea of using a centered rear housing designed for Yeti and trying to run inline motor and transmission setup to fight torque lean, as I'll be utilizing a roc412. I have ZERO knowledge in this area is my real issue, like none. Don't have any idea where to begin looking. Any help would be appreciated. I THINK I'm on the right track for fighting the lean, but I could be totally off base too, so set me straight if I'm wrong.
Torque twist is largely a side effect of the axle gearing. The power from the driveshaft comes into the axle and has to make a 90 degree turn at the ring and pinion gears. Lower gearing makes changing that direction of momentum more efficient and less torque twist.

A centered axle will have little to no effect on torque twist so don't expect significant results. What will help is underdrive gears and a sway bar. Proper suspension geometry can replace a sway bar but you would have to figure out what works best with a custom chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
i think you mean GCM? SSD doesn't have any scale trans on their site.
GCM Webstore Canada International - Drivetrain Parts
This one

Scale Transmission Kit for SCX10
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Torque twist is largely a side effect of the axle gearing. The power from the driveshaft comes into the axle and has to make a 90 degree turn at the ring and pinion gears. Lower gearing makes changing that direction of momentum more efficient and less torque twist.

A centered axle will have little to no effect on torque twist so don't expect significant results. What will help is underdrive gears and a sway bar. Proper suspension geometry can replace a sway bar but you would have to figure out what works best with a custom chassis.

While I agree, totally in fact, as I'm well acquainted with doing custom suspension work on 1:1s, I can't help but notice the centered rear housing did help. Why? I can't explain with engineering, could it be my imagination, sure could be. Now, the new chassis wont be getting a swaybar, suspension geometry will be based off wraith skid, so angles should be fine, I'll mess with link and shock length some. If worst comes to worst, I'll just swap to a lower power brushed setup where its not as noticeable, but I have the drivetrain laying, so may as well try it first.

Last edited by DukeMinnix; 09-19-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
While I agree, totally in fact, as I'm well acquainted with doing custom suspension work on 1:1s, I can't help but notice the centered rear housing did help. Why? I can't explain with engineering, could it be my imagination, sure could be. Now, the new chassis wont be getting a swaybar, suspension geometry will be based off wraith skid, so angles should be fine, I'll mess with link and shock length some. If worst comes to worst, I'll just swap to a lower power brushed setup where its not as noticeable, but I have the drivetrain laying, so may as well try it first.
Sounds like the suspension is pretty well sorted with the Wraith parts. Most wraiths benefit from raising the rear upper links at the chassis for increased anti-squat, that may be a consideration for your chassis.

As far as the transmission, Dlux make a really cool one that has built in overdrive for the front and makes the driveshafts spin in opposite directions. The counter-rotating shafts do a great job in canceling out torque twist and using wraith axles makes it easy to flip the rear gears around so everything moves in the proper direction.

Dlux Fab
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Sounds like the suspension is pretty well sorted with the Wraith parts. Most wraiths benefit from raising the rear upper links at the chassis for increased anti-squat, that may be a consideration for your chassis.

As far as the transmission, Dlux make a really cool one that has built in overdrive for the front and makes the driveshafts spin in opposite directions. The counter-rotating shafts do a great job in canceling out torque twist and using wraith axles makes it easy to flip the rear gears around so everything moves in the proper direction.

Dlux Fab
Man, that is a trick setup. I'm gonna have to measure and see if I can fit that bad boy in the truggy, I'm in love with that idea, and with my first attempt at scale being an all but entirely exterior effort, I don't really care for an inline trans if I can accomplish what I want.. and at half the price of the SSD unit. Big thanks for showing me that.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

oh wow that Dlux setup is slick! not as scale as that awesome SSD setup i had no idea about... but still slick!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

SSD has a scale ta mission for the scx10 version one on their site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scaler44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Transmissions? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Planetary transmissions Mr Willys Newbie General 12 07-15-2016 12:00 PM
transmissions some_guy General Crawlers 8 01-13-2008 07:36 PM
Transmissions aussie_N_B Newbie General 2 09-18-2006 05:56 AM
Transmissions, Transmissions! Pros, Cons, All different typ kevinlongisland General Crawlers 5 06-21-2004 05:49 PM