RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Scale Talk (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-scale-talk/)
-   -   Scale driving with a stick tx? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-scale-talk/590415-scale-driving-stick-tx.html)

buysomerice 10-08-2017 04:33 PM

Scale driving with a stick tx?

Anyone have experience with scale wheeling with a airplane tx? I have a newer Dx6 and was curious if I could make it work for a radio. I know people use them for dig comp setups but didn’t know how it would work out for trail running. Thanks for your input!

BigSki 10-09-2017 03:40 PM

Re: Scale driving with a stick tx?

I've been using a DX6i since I got back into RC about 10 years ago. I used the extra channels for various features on the scale rigs and when I was still comping the 2.2, I had a homemade dig unit that I controlled from the left joystick and a "gate" pattern, sorta like the 3 speed gate for a Tamiya Big Rig or the Original Bruiser.

xxxSHOWTIMExxx 10-09-2017 06:05 PM

I drove my buddies TF2 with sticks and it was very interesting. Im not sure I could get used to it. He did well with if for the most part and it did have cruise control :lmao: that just about caused him to drive off a cliff while he was trying to light his cig :lmao::lmao::lmao:

lonleycreeper 10-09-2017 09:26 PM

I used a tactic 650 for a couple years, Instead of running throttle on the left stick, I ran it on the right, self centering stick. It worked great, with 6 channels, I ran dual winches lights and other controls...

buysomerice 10-10-2017 11:17 AM

Awesome, thanks for thoughts! I have the itch to get back into scalers and am tring to decide on rtr and use stock controller or go the kit route and use the dx6 for a bit. So many choices I have no clue! :shock:

Jeece 10-10-2017 05:47 PM

Yep I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. It's mostly a matter of habits and learning to drive "stick".

ElChupacabra 10-10-2017 06:06 PM

Here's the self-centering left stick mod if you didn't know how to do that yet. It's real easy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy9PvqpWUnc

buysomerice 10-11-2017 09:13 AM

Thanks again guys! I confirmed that my tx has the same simple self center function! Now to find a nice used artr or kit...

buysomerice 10-11-2017 09:14 AM

Also need to check what kind of rx this setup would take. Any thoughts?

JohnRobHolmes 10-11-2017 09:37 AM

My only gripe is the size and heft of a stick radio. It's a pain to lug around. Used one for about 5 years and simply switched to a pistol style for comfort and convenience.

Scrap 10-12-2017 12:02 AM

DX8 here.

Great for precision not so great for long walks on rough terrain. Needs two hands on the tx for driving. Might have to look into a single stick mix so I could drive with only one hand.

lonleycreeper 10-13-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrap (Post 5756390)
DX8 here.

Great for precision not so great for long walks on rough terrain. Needs two hands on the tx for driving. Might have to look into a single stick mix so I could drive with only one hand.

I never had issue with the weight, but I always wore a strap. I typically go for 4-5 hours per crawling session. For rough terrain I would climb a portion myself, then crawl the truck up, or vice verse.

pielet97 10-13-2017 10:36 PM

I love mine, DX9, but it is large for transport.

BigSki 10-14-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 5756098)
My only gripe is the size and heft of a stick radio. It's a pain to lug around. Used one for about 5 years and simply switched to a pistol style for comfort and convenience.

This. I ended up using a neck lanyard just like the RC pilots use.

Vedo 12-27-2017 12:20 AM

I'm having this dilemma right now. Just got a TRX-4 and ditched the Traxxas radio as the rx would not stay bound. Thinking about a DX5c or a Dx8. The reason I'm torn between 5 and 8 channels is because at some point I may install an FPV camera for recording purposes and the extra channels would come in useful. I'm just uncertain of the feasability of using a stick radio for crawling/bashing (Also have a Yeti and custom trophy truck).

Stollenritter 12-27-2017 03:48 AM

Stick radio guy here, too. Futaba FF-6 and DX-6i. Mixing options and extra buttons for additional channels work fine for me. I couldn`t get used to the pistol grip radio.

redneckracerx 12-27-2017 08:04 AM

Stick guy checking in. I also use the DX6I and a lanyard for those long walks. You either like it or you don't, and at least for me, it makes more sense. I set the left stick as auto center, which is a must. I set one of the top switches to mirror the right steer stick to the left stick. What this does is allow you to drive one handed while setting winch line, trying to walk tough trails or more likely texting. :oops:

5bites 12-27-2017 10:49 AM

I’ve been thinking about throwing a frsky rx in my scx10 to see how I like it. I use a qx7 for quads/drones. It seems like with the longer throw and pinching the sticks you’d have more control. If anything you’d have a plethora of channels to use.