Notices

Thread: Whaaaaat !?!? On top ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Whaaaaat !?!? On top ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcdood View Post
I dont give 2 shit's where axial place on that scoreboard, cause that got to be one of the most stupid contests ive ever seen lol. The top contender imo, shoud be axial and traxxas.

Big Squid has always seemed biased towards traxxas anyway.
Big squid is biased towards who pays for advertising on their site.

Big Squid almost never say anything critical about a product if that brand is paying for advertising on their site. They never say anything critical about Traxxas full stop. I'm not knocking it, advertorials etc. Is how places like that survive now, but don't go to Big Squid for objective reviews.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #22
RCC Addict

https://youtu.be/EpZq0Q-9sz0
Very minimal damage !
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #23

This is similar to the TRX VS SCX10II in the latest RCCA. They couldn't think of anything they liked about the Axial. Geez.
DarthRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

On a scale truck? Really? Who the hell cares about top speed? It’s all about low down torque and crawl-ability, not top speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #25
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Nothing broke? Apparently they didn't run the TF2 very hard.
Do you own a new Marlin truck...they fixed a lot of common issues. N00b has been running his without any failures
1BadJeepBruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Do you own a new Marlin truck...they fixed a lot of common issues. N00b has been running his without any failures
No, I do not. My experience is based off all of the issues I had with the first generation of TF rigs. If they got R&P gears, CV joints / axles and axle housings made from a better material than dried up bubble gum then I'm honestly glad to hear that.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #27
RCC Addict

I'm definitely not surprised Traxxas is on top in the shootout. Its a good truck with the most features, reasonable price, its tough, and it has the best parts availability. I have owned all the trucks listed except the mythical HPI and the Redcat. I definitely wouldnt put the Axial on the bottom. It would most likely be in 2nd or 3rd place.

Quote:
Nothing broke? Apparently they didn't run the TF2 very hard.
Normally I'd agree with you, but the Marlin is a different story. I have had two other TF2s and wasnt too fond of them, but this little guy is awesome. I swapped electronics, removed internal springs, added some scale bits, steel Punisher driveshafts (already had them) and a winch to mine and it has been kicking ass in our local C1 comps and has truly impressed me while running C2 lines here locally.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:14 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I'm definitely not surprised Traxxas is on top in the shootout. Its a good truck with the most features, reasonable price, its tough, and it has the best parts availability.
When you say "parts availability", I assume you mean OEM parts, not aftermarket, correct?
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:49 AM   #29
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
No, I do not. My experience is based off all of the issues I had with the first generation of TF rigs. If they got R&P gears, CV joints / axles and axle housings made from a better material than dried up bubble gum then I'm honestly glad to hear that.
As a matter of fact they improved all of that. Yota II axles, CV front shafts for a lot better steering angle, and the drive shafts so far I have no seen a single failure
1BadJeepBruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
When you say "parts availability", I assume you mean OEM parts, not aftermarket, correct?
Yes. Many parts for the 10.2 weren't available for over a year (ring and pinion for example) and other parts still aren't available from axial. I had several spare parts CPR my trx4 before the truck was for sale to the public.

Aftermarket for the trx is getting big.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #31

The new, over priced, plastic fantastic Honcho is going to help ensure Axial stays at the bottom of the list. The $200 Redcat has more metal...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The new, over priced, plastic fantastic Honcho is going to help ensure Axial stays at the bottom of the list. The $200 Redcat has more metal...
Didn't stop Harley from gushing over it in his new video yesterday. I commented that I couldn't see a single reason to buy that Honcho over a Gen7, and his response was that the Gen7 axles are out dated and the chassis is flat plate. I'll take out dated axles over a new design with no aftermarket support, and a stiff flat plate over weaker c-channel any day, but I guess that's just me. There's nothing wrong with being an Axial fanboy, but I'm really having a hard time seeing things from his point of view this time.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Didn't stop Harley from gushing over it in his new video yesterday. I commented that I couldn't see a single reason to buy that Honcho over a Gen7, and his response was that the Gen7 axles are out dated and the chassis is flat plate. I'll take out dated axles over a new design with no aftermarket support, and a stiff flat plate over weaker c-channel any day, but I guess that's just me. There's nothing wrong with being an Axial fanboy, but I'm really having a hard time seeing things from his point of view this time.
He's an Axial lover. He can't even hide it. That's why I take everything he says, especially about other brands, with a grain of salt.

On another one of his posts about the new Jeep JK body I commented that it was a downgrade because the interior and rollcage were gone. He commented disagreeing. Then he went and hacked up an old Jeep JK body for the interior so he could put it in the new Jeep JK body.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Gushing ???? That’s great !
I heard him state it’s a great cheap starting spot.
Good fair statement, as that’s what it’s supposed to be.
If I’m upgrading most things, I’ll save the $125.vs the Latest Jeep you also don’t care for.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:12 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

RE: The new Honcho - i haven't seen any mention of the fact that the spare wheel/tire is no longer included vs. the original Honcho.

There's a cost-cutting measure right there - very obvious.

However, so many people remove the spare to lower weight & COG that it's an acceptable trade-off in my book.

So far, the new Honcho seems to have filled the niche that the SX10 Deadbolt used to - the cheapest model available.

Good for first-time buyers that may want to upgrade parts in the future.

I'm wondering if they can cut costs even further for the new Deadbolt (if they release one) and where the rumored Chevy will fit in the grand scheme of things.

So far my issue with buying any of the SCX10 II models is that I'd want to replace way too many parts right away.

I don't have a Jeep, so would probably settle for the 2017 Wrangler if I was winning my choice in a give-away!

Out of the included parts (if no non-Axial products were allowed) released across all the new models, I'd take the Honcho Method wheels (wish they were beadlock), the Wrangler Nitto tires (wish they were R35 compound), the Wrangler body (wish it was unpainted), the TTX300 TX (that new radio is an embarrassment), the metal links (duh) and I wouldn't pay more than $399 total for an RTR or $349 for a kit.

But - that's not likely, and that's OK - I've got my Ascender and I'm happy!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
So far, the new Honcho seems to have filled the niche that the SX10 Deadbolt used to - the cheapest model available.

Good for first-time buyers that may want to upgrade parts in the future.

I'm wondering if they can cut costs even further for the new Deadbolt (if they release one).

So far my issue with buying any of the SCX10 II models is that I'd want to replace way too many parts right away.

Out of the included parts (if no non-Axial products were allowed) released across all the new models, I'd take the Honcho Method wheels (wish they were beadlock), the Wrangler Nitto tires (wish they were R35 compound), the Wrangler body (wish it was unpainted), the TTX300 TX (that new radio is an embarrassment), the metal links (duh) and I wouldn't pay more than $399 total for an RTR or $349 for a kit.

But - that's not likely, and that's OK - I've got my Ascender and I'm happy!
Recap - we want:
  • Honcho Method wheels - preferably beadlock
  • Wrangler Nitto tires in R35 compound
  • Wrangler body (unpainted in kit)
  • TTX300 TX
  • Metal links (duh)
  • Up to $399 total for an RTR or $349 for a kit; although cheaper would sell more and increase upgrade parts sales

I would also add:
  • 250oz or more servo
  • Simple ac balance charger (slow ok)
  • 3s 2200mah lipo battery
  • Lipo battery for transmitter
  • Metal idler tranny gear
  • Shocks that don't leak, including rubber diaphragms
  • Scale items: tow strap, jack, axe, gas can, shovel, fire extinguisher, tow hooks, license plate, door handles, mirrors, wipers, snorkel, plastic roof rack with light bar
  • Plastic fake winch with a hole to route a servo winch rope, and metal fairlead rollers built into the bumper
  • Lights all around
  • Inner fenders
  • Floor plan
  • Full interior
  • $280 RTR price point to compete with Gen7 Pro

Nah... I don't ask for much. ;)

Anyway, let's hope Axial is listening.

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 12-14-2017 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 12-15-2017, 01:42 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Yet he'll do a budget build that replaces nearly every part with something from Vanquish etc.? Not knocking the guy at all but that's what happens to all his builds.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:21 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mond View Post
Yet he'll do a budget build that replaces nearly every part with something from Vanquish etc.? Not knocking the guy at all but that's what happens to all his builds.
How would that qualify as a "budget build"?
Old 12-15-2017, 07:27 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

If it’s all free for company propaganda then it’s a budget build for him.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:41 AM   #40
RCC Addict

Quote:
Basically he gives himself $50 a week to build the truck. He'll buy the parts and video as he installs them and will compare it to the stock part that it replaced. Its interesting, but at the end of the build there wont be much Axial left to it.

Whaaaaat !?!? On top ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith cage from scratch - tube frame top vs roll cage top? phillyb Axial Wraith 3 12-20-2013 06:50 PM
Top Gear's top 10 stunts constantmotion Chit Chat 4 06-25-2010 02:09 AM
Top off or not to top off that is the question... cliffdawg Electronics 13 05-10-2010 01:52 PM