RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Scale Talk (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-scale-talk/)
-   -   Let the flooding of the scale market begin (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-scale-talk/593542-let-flooding-scale-market-begin.html)

OldNTired 01-02-2018 12:17 PM

Let the flooding of the scale market begin

So, now HoBao is getting in on the RC Crawler action. Happened across a post on BSRC.com. I've read that 2018 will most likely be the year of the scaler. I just worry the market will be flooded with crap.

https://youtu.be/qbUn9-bu0qA

spoo76 01-02-2018 01:00 PM

Re: Let the flooding of the scale market begin

Maybe it's just my opinion, but everything about that looks awful lol. The wheels,tires, body, angles of the links, the machining on the metal parts,brackets, & gears, that motor.
Doesn't even seem worth $150 when you can get something better for $200

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

hillbillyrc 01-02-2018 01:32 PM

Looks like a bad clone of a trx4. The are some neat features but not really any one attention grabbing thing.

Jim85IROC 01-02-2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoo76 (Post 5782467)
Maybe it's just my opinion, but everything about that looks awful lol. The wheels,tires, body, angles of the links, the machining on the metal parts,brackets, & gears, that motor.
Doesn't even seem worth $150 when you can get something better for $200

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I dunno, that looked pretty damned good to me. Nice metal links, good suspension geometry, nice looking chassis, great body and a nice detailed interior with enough room that you don't have to cut off all of your drivers legs. CMS, WP1060 ESC, slipper clutch, what looks like a 2 speed trans, included 3800mah lipo. I'm not sure what else you want? If this thing sells for $300 or less I think it's going to be a hit.

JDM74 01-02-2018 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC (Post 5782494)
I dunno, that looked pretty damned good to me. Nice metal links, good suspension geometry, nice looking chassis, great body and a nice detailed interior with enough room that you don't have to cut off all of your drivers legs. CMS, WP1060 ESC, slipper clutch, what looks like a 2 speed trans, included 3800mah lipo. I'm not sure what else you want? If this thing sells for $300 or less I think it's going to be a hit.

Something that is actually a scaled down version of a 1:1? There is nothing licensed on that truck.

I thought the whole reason for a "scale crawler" was that it looks like it's 1:1 counter part? There is absolutely nothing on that truck that is a direct scaled down version of a 1:1 anything.

For example:

Axial: scale licensed bodies, wheels, tires, bumpers, etc
HPI venture: Licensed body
TRX-4 Licensed body

Who knows, maybe at the price point it will appeal to dad's who want to get there sons and daughters into the hobby for not a lot of money. As far as for me, zero interest.

Sneetches 01-02-2018 02:51 PM

Well it doesn't really look like a truck for the American market. I had to cringe when you see those 4 nuts underneath the axle, I can only wonder what genius thought of that idea.

EZCompany 01-02-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM74 (Post 5782515)
Something that is actually a scaled down version of a 1:1? There is nothing licensed on that truck.

I thought the whole reason for a "scale crawler" was that it looks like it's 1:1 counter part? There is absolutely nothing on that truck that is a direct scaled down version of a 1:1 anything.

For example:

Axial: scale licensed bodies, wheels, tires, bumpers, etc
HPI venture: Licensed body
TRX-4 Licensed body

Who knows, maybe at the price point it will appeal to dad's who want to get there sons and daughters into the hobby for not a lot of money. As far as for me, zero interest.

I don't necessarily believe that scale has to be an exact replica. This truck is made to look like a real vehicle, maybe not anything that exists but it's still has a scale design. I actually think it kind of looks like a Land Rover but that's just my $.02.

But I guess it's just a matter of different strokes for different folks. Im just happy to see new products coming out with all the woes that seem to be in the hobby right now.

Honestly, I think if the price is right, it'll be a good rig to get started with in the scale scene. I probably won't buy one, not because I don't like it but because I've already got too many to take care of.

Frank211 01-02-2018 03:09 PM

3RACING
3racing too..

TooOldForThis 01-02-2018 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZCompany (Post 5782527)
I don't necessarily believe that scale has to be an exact replica. This truck is made to look like a real vehicle, maybe not anything that exists but it's still has a scale design. I actually think it kind of looks like a Land Rover but that's just my $.02.

But I guess it's just a matter of different strokes for different folks. Im just happy to see new products coming out with all the woes that seem to be in the hobby right now.

Agreed. As these lesser-known brands continue to make better stuff, it will keep the big brands on their toes. To stay on top they'll have to innovate and keep their pricing in check. I think we're all going to benefit.

JDM74 01-02-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank211 (Post 5782531)
3RACING
3racing too..

This is so weird. Solid front axle with 0-20* of camber adjustment? I mean, I guess it could be useful. I'm not sure if anybody has ever tried this.

Teng 01-02-2018 04:27 PM

Ho Bao one of the brand name, famous in their buggies for reliability [emoji51]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jebster 01-02-2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM74 (Post 5782551)
This is so weird. Solid front axle with 0-20* of camber adjustment? I mean, I guess it could be useful. I'm not sure if anybody has ever tried this.

I'm also not sure about the utility of camber adjustments on a solid axle scaler but I'm intrigued by the design. May be something worth looking into.

rockhugger 01-02-2018 04:41 PM

They clearly don't get it.

Frank211 01-02-2018 05:03 PM

Revo style suspension
http://fs1.directupload.net/images/180103/i9v9yppm.jpg

jebster 01-02-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockhugger (Post 5782570)
They clearly don't get it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank211 (Post 5782578)

Thank for that. Had a senior moment. Been working solid axle rigs so long I forgot about that revo hub connection setup (I had a summit when they first came out).

soze 01-02-2018 05:56 PM

Let's see what else comes out this year. Anyway, this year will be the year of upgrade parts for me. I've picked up more than enough kits in 2017.

hillbillyrc 01-02-2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank211 (Post 5782531)
3RACING
3racing too..

At the bottom of the page. But this is more interesting
NOTE: Except motor is included, all other electronics shown in photos sold separately.
NOTE: Photos and descriptions depicts pre-production prototype, final production kit may subject to change without notice.

EZCompany 01-02-2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soze (Post 5782605)
Let's see what else comes out this year. Anyway, this year will be the year of upgrade parts for me. I've picked up more than enough kits in 2017.

I hear ya, I went from 3 trucks to 8 in 2017. Hopefully none of these new rigs catch my eye. I really need to put my money into what I already have.

THUNDER PRO 01-02-2018 10:07 PM

Hobao is the controlling company of another later born, maybe more recognizable name OFNA which has alot of experiance in doing fairly well in 1/8 scale off road. They had some really wild monster trucks and one of the first nitro monster trucks even before the tmaxx. Does anybody remember the titan? Not the football team or the movie, it was a dual engine big block monster truck that when tuned right made a tmaxx look like a Wal-Mart toy. The pirate was a one of the early nitro monster trucks which eventually spured on 1/8 truggy racing becuase it was based of of a 1/8 nitro buggy with monster truck tires. If you think Traxxas recycled parts and ideas to extend the profitability of a part OFNA wrote the book and Traxxas learned from them. The first crawler from Hobao....ehhhh.... But Hobao and OFNA as a company definitely are players in other rc.

lsone 01-02-2018 10:16 PM

check out that internal spur gear on the 3racing rig... no thanks