Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: n00b Scratch build research

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default n00b Scratch build research

Alright, I'm still new to this hobby, but after breaking into it by building a SCX10.2 kit for my 1st crawler. But after seeing some amazing work here, I've got the scratch build bug to customize my next new rig from the start...

I'm currently debating which scale trans / frame to build around: RC4WD's R4, GCM LRT, or the SSD scale trans for the SCX10. But I'm still uneducated of the basics for the majority of the hobby.
Are the frame rails for the TF2 based builds normally further apart than the SCX10 ones? One point of debate for me is I'd love to have the RC4WD's scale V8, which will directly bolt to the SSD and the R4, but I'm thinking it may not fit between the shock hoops on SCX10 based builds.
Also, I'm planning on the SSD Pro44 axles, so will they work with both SCX10 and TF2 setups?
TIA
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: n00b Scratch build research

So, no one's compared the three scale 'missions before? Or no one wants to help a n00b?
Old 01-30-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

GCM stuff is great, IMO. look at their youtube channel, the cmax in particular is incredible, and you can put scale trans/motors in there.

what body are you going with? that would help determine the right chassis also.
but if you are doing scratch build, you can do... pretty much whatever you want!

as for axles, its all about matching driveshafts (length and diff input/t-case shaft diameter) and making the links work, unless you go leafs just make sure you get the right hardware to connect everything... or just fabricate your own mounts!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:13 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

........ Everything Shinchu said, and I'll add: Pinion angles are pretty important as well. Yes, the Driveshafts WILL "bend" a lot, but you'll get better Performance, less wear, AND more Pinion CLEARANCE!! Ground clearance is one of the names of the game in this part of the Hobby. GCM C-MAX Frame Kits are possibly the most adaptable, versatile, and Scale looking Chassis's you can get!
Also, unless you WANT to spend a TON of money for a Small Block Chevy..... Take a look at Shapeways. There's a good variety of 3D Printed "Engine" Motor covers, representing multiple manufacturers!!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!!! In a RTR World, it nice to see some good old-fashioned scratchbuilding or kitbashing!!
And...... WELCOME!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:09 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Maybe scratch build is a little strong, but more of a use the parts/hop ups/upgrades I want as I go, rather than rebuild later.

In doing a little more research elsewhere, I have been informed that the three are really from the same source, the difference being application and the ratio output and style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
GCM stuff is great, IMO. look at their youtube channel, the cmax in particular is incredible, and you can put scale trans/motors in there.

what body are you going with? that would help determine the right chassis also.
but if you are doing scratch build, you can do... pretty much whatever you want!

as for axles, its all about matching driveshafts (length and diff input/t-case shaft diameter) and making the links work, unless you go leafs just make sure you get the right hardware to connect everything... or just fabricate your own mounts!
I'm looking at modifying an RC4WD K5 Blazer, stretching it a bit as a tribute to the '75 Chevy P/U I had as my first car. So a TF2 LWB chassis is a likely starting point, but I've haven't worked with leaf springs, and not sure I want to go that route yet.
Is there an easy way to stretch a TF2 wheelbase another 1/2" or so? The LWB kit is 12.3", and that's not quite where I need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post
........ Everything Shinchu said, and I'll add: Pinion angles are pretty important as well. Yes, the Driveshafts WILL "bend" a lot, but you'll get better Performance, less wear, AND more Pinion CLEARANCE!! Ground clearance is one of the names of the game in this part of the Hobby. GCM C-MAX Frame Kits are possibly the most adaptable, versatile, and Scale looking Chassis's you can get!
Also, unless you WANT to spend a TON of money for a Small Block Chevy..... Take a look at Shapeways. There's a good variety of 3D Printed "Engine" Motor covers, representing multiple manufacturers!!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!!! In a RTR World, it nice to see some good old-fashioned scratchbuilding or kitbashing!!
And...... WELCOME!
Yesss... this being a Chevy tribute (WHAT?? NOT a Jeep or 'Yota??!!), less than a V8 just won't do, I'm afraid!

I really want to use SSD's Pro44 axles, but those won't fit under a TF2, and the scale V8 I want to use won't fit between the SCX10 shock hoops.

A stretched CMAX frame may be used for a future build, but for now I want to use this as a test bed for my limited building skills.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:14 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

you don't... really want shock hoops on 75 chevy... do you???

and you don't stretch a frame for wheelbase. well, maybe in extreme cases. its all bout link lengths, or in a 75 chevy's case, leaf location and shackle position.
with that said... i don't think pro 44 is what you want in this case (unless you convert it to accept leafs). there are much better and more correct to the vehicle choice from GCM/Bowhouse.

GCM Webstore Canada International - TMX Axle Information and Videos

i hope to build a nice square body chevy someday... does it show?

Last edited by Shinchu; 01-31-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
you don't... really want shock hoops on 75 chevy... do you???

and you don't stretch a frame for wheelbase. well, maybe in extreme cases. its all bout link lengths, or in a 75 chevy's case, leaf location and shackle position.
with that said... i don't think pro 44 is what you want in this case (unless you convert it to accept leafs). there are much better and more correct to the vehicle choice from GCM/Bowhouse.

GCM Webstore Canada International - TMX Axle Information and Videos

i hope to build a nice square body chevy someday... does it show?
What'll really torque you is the '75 I'm paying tribute to was actually *drum roll* a long bed and only RWD!! So, when I build a llllllloooooonnngggg (maybe 14"?) wheelbase tribute using CMAX frame, I'm going to try to use a front A-arm setup. And yes, it will be mostly a shelf queen at that point... lol

Well, I meant stretching the wheelbase, not frame. So, can the TF2 wheelbase be adjusted easily? The SCX10 can, just using the different length links. The TF2 LWB kit comes in as 12.3", how difficult would it be to go to say 12.9"? Scale Chevy short bed territory, btw...

I have seen some killer custom jobs by LSXGMC here that used the SCX10 link and shock hoop set up, though!

Pro44s may not be what I want for this rig, but I'm trying to stay away from the other 4 letter word - Yota. Plus I like the scale hardware in the diff cover look. So maybe some nice K44s instead if I go TF2/leafs.

So, it depends: do I want the scale V8 or the Pro44s more? I think that's going to be the real deciding factor on which I base my next build...

Last edited by Ironhide13; 01-31-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

did you NOT click the link up there? there are SCALE GM axles out there!

and... what might torque you back... GCM is looking into twin I beam front suspension setups! (my pop's 79 ford was a RWD longbed too)
and you can make all the custom wheelbases you want with any truck. especially if you use... leafs! ;)

so the real question you should ask yourself is, will you see the engine or the axles more often? ;)

I'm not trying to dictate your build brother, just trying to help broaden your perception of these very scale tiny trucks and the nearly unlimited possibilities. poke around on the GCM site, and WATCH A TON OF THIER VIDS!
Old 02-01-2018, 02:03 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
did you NOT click the link up there? there are SCALE GM axles out there!

and... what might torque you back... GCM is looking into twin I beam front suspension setups! (my pop's 79 ford was a RWD longbed too)
and you can make all the custom wheelbases you want with any truck. especially if you use... leafs! ;)

so the real question you should ask yourself is, will you see the engine or the axles more often? ;)

I'm not trying to dictate your build brother, just trying to help broaden your perception of these very scale tiny trucks and the nearly unlimited possibilities. poke around on the GCM site, and WATCH A TON OF THIER VIDS!
Yes, I did click the link... and started drooling...
So now it's just a matter of price and choice...

Believe me, I appreciate the feedback! I have broadened my perception since joining this forum, and I know it will continue.

Oooohhh... now if i can find/figure out how to do some front A-arms and an open diff for a RWD... that'll be for my shelf queen build!

Personally, I'll see the axles more often; as it goes rolling down the rocks end over end...
But to go for scale points at a comp, that scale engine is so tempting!

One drawback is GCM doesn't offer a stand alone trans & transfer case without the OD front anymore. Though, I think the SSD version is still equal front & rear. Yes, I know front OD would probably really help at comps, especially with a longer wheelbase. I'm just not convinced I want to try it yet.

All in all, this next rig my fall under a modified TF2 kit as a base and learning experience with leafs, and the next may truly set me free.

n00b Scratch build research - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fj c1 scratch build stevem50 1.5 Scale Rigs 19 04-07-2015 06:34 PM
Help! I wanna do a scale build, help me im a n00b :) crawlin570 Tires and Wheels 9 01-01-2012 09:35 PM
n00b question about the comp build up... The Modfather Newbie General 6 06-04-2008 01:50 PM
Rancid's n00b WK Build Rancid HPI Wheely King 7 06-08-2007 12:30 PM