Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Hillbilly's barrage upgrade bible!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2020, 11:42 PM   #161
RCC Addict

Default Re: Hillbilly's barrage upgrade bible!

Axle swap is pretty straight forward once you get your link length figured out. I have had modified Everest 10 axles and the injora scx10.2 axles under mine. It's been covered on the swap in the front of this thread. Easiest would be to swap in a scx10 skid and go from there.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2020, 11:59 PM   #162

hey thanks

I have been researching and pricing up my options and I think came up with idea that should work, some minor or major modifications may need to be done tho.

I'm planning to swap the chassis braces and skid plate over to the Axial SCX10 or Axial SCX10II to make things easier to mount a new transmission and make it more easier to find aftermarket bumpers that will fit as well being able to fit a servo winch up front as well as changing the shock towers to the Axial SCX10 ones as well, in regards to axles I'm thinking of running the Axial Capra CP44 axles

Last edited by Mitchh_1410; 04-01-2020 at 12:05 AM.
Mitchh_1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #163
Rock Stacker

I just picked up the barrage 1.9 build to drive kit to go up against my bro in law and nephews barrages. So for I’m really enjoying it. Anyone have a good place to pick up some aluminum knuckles?
Piranhaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:33 PM   #164

Sick been thinking about picking one up for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
671briangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:38 AM   #165

Hi guys! I have looked everywhere and i cannot find any info on this so i hope here someone will know. I need to make my barrage a 275mm wheelbase... Are there any links i can order for a simple direct fit or do i need to make custom links??

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk
diamond_4g64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:54 PM   #166
Quarry Creeper

I don't think there is an off-the-shelf set of links that will achieve exactly a 275mm wheelbase that will work with the Barrage skid. Most likely you will end up having to make your own custom links. Just be aware that the links for the Barrage use oddly-sized rod ends. They are M2/M3 - so tapped for M3 threads, but the pivot balls are for M2 screws. You can swap the rod ends on the axle side of the links to ones that use M3 screws, but I think you need to retain the M2-sized ones on the skid side. If anyone else has a solution for this, let me know.

I purchased one of the European cousins to the Barrage - a RGT Bowler - which shares a lot of the same parts. I swapped the axles from the RGT over to the Barrage, and had to adjust link lengths a bit to maintain the 252mm wheelbase of the Barrage and have decent pinion angles on the driveshafts. That's when I encountered the rod-end issue.

To fine tune the link lengths, I ended up cutting some of the stock Barrage rod-ends down, and using some of the RGT rod ends, which I think are a little longer. But I had to retain the M2/M3 rod-ends for the skid side. It was a bit of a mess, but I got it done. I'm dreading the day that those tiny M2/M3 rod-ends wear out, because I haven't been able to find decent replacements.

Honestly, I think the easiest thing to do would be to swap out the Barrage skid for something else that can accommodate M3/M4 rod-ends.. Plenty of people have made the switch to a SCX10 skid, and then you would have a lot more options in terms of pre-made link sets, or just make your own.

But hey, if I'm missing the obvious - it wouldn't be the first time. Everything I know (which aint that much) was learned by making mistakes.
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:24 AM   #167
Rock Stacker

Hey guys, I recently bought the RGT 137300XL with the Land Rover shell. It looks to be the V3 edition (there's references in the spare parts list) as it has the CMS and 390 motor. The biggest surprise was opening up the diff covers to install metal lockers and it already has 1 piece metal lockers unlike the 2 piece upgrades from HSP. Wheelbase is 11.2 inches as well. I've upgraded mine with a 20kg mg servo and 2s Lipo. I'm pretty happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
RiZZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #168

Is there a transmission that would fit in the RGT Bowler that can have a 540?
Cuz' my Dad bought a Rc4wd 540 65t for his RGT and an aluminium Scx10

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X505F using Tapatalk
Nick the crawler guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:01 PM   #169

Is there a transmission for RGT Bowler for a 540?

Thanks

Nick the crawler guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #170
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the crawler guy View Post
Is there a transmission for RGT Bowler for a 540?

Thanks

Not to my knowledge. The RGT Bowler uses a 390 motor and the motor plate that comes with the stock tranny won't fit a 540 motor. You might be able to modify the motor plate on the Bowler's trans to accept 540 motors, but the gears are all plastic, and may not hold up to the additional power.

But you can buy an adapter that bolts on to the Bowler's skid which will allow you to install a regular Axial (or clone of Axial) three-gear transmission which is designed for 540 motors. A seller named jamachuca from Spain sells them on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FTX-Outback...AAAOSwn~JaqXY1

I put one in my Barrage, and I'm running a 540 motor now. I'm sure it would also work just fine in the Bowler.

Old 01-17-2021, 12:18 PM   #171
I wanna be Dave

Finally decided to pick up an ECX Barrage Gen2 kit w/the clear body - mainly because Pro-Line discontinued the Sumo body and I had snapped up one of them to build a 10" wheelbase crawler.

My late Dad's last vehicle was a Suzuki Samurai and I have always planned to build one.

Picked it up at Alamo City Hobby Shop in San Antonio yesterday with my crawlin' pal Miatardo...

And built it with his assistance on his kitchen table last night!

Gave it an in-house test run at about 1AM.

I'll cut the stock body down for those times I want to run taller tires, but mostly it will likely run the Sumo shell and something with a small OD.

Going to re-read my way back through this thread to get some more ideas!

EDIT: Spotted this part for upgraded Alloy Steering Hub Carriers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Alloy-...r=542582545754

I may stop my upgrades at these plus the Aluminum Rear Hub Carriers from Horizon directly...

And just see how she runs.

Last edited by durok; 01-17-2021 at 05:12 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:19 AM   #172
I wanna be Dave

I dropped the body posts as low as they would go (cut them until they would bottom out in the shock towers), moved the upper shock mounting point to the top holes (to get the lowest ride height), temporarily flipped the front cross brace under battery tray around and pushed it back against the 2nd cross brace (which allows for almost 100% front shock travel) and moved the battery tray rearwards until it is almost touching the motor and transmission.

I now have full rear travel until the shocks bottom out, and up front each wheel has full travel independently, but there is still a little over an 1/8th of an inch if trying to get full travel from both wheels at the same time. Mounted the Boom Racing narrow steelies (in 1.9") and Boom Racing Mud Trophy tires (.94" wide by 3.6" tall) and cut the rockers and fenders off the stock Barrage kit body, just for use as a beater - the Sumo will be the main body for later use. The tires just barely miss touching the body at full compression. Didn't manage to squeeze in a paint job yet - going to go drive it today along with my Ascender and Enduro. (Man, I hate being one of those people that drives somethin' w/out any paint! I sure hope no one sees me... )
Attached Images

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:08 AM   #173
Rock Crawler

Default Hillbilly's barrage upgrade bible!

Anyone have success moding a Gen 1 Barrage front axle for a panhard bar? About a year or two ago I got a stronger servo that was a little too large so I figured why not just make it a chassis mounted servo. This turned out useless without a panhard. The axle was just pushed laterally and steering was worse than with the stock week servo. I ended up moding the new servo to the axle mount.

Now I'm moding this chassis for a new project and I'd like to go back to a chassis mounted servo so I can make this more scale looking and lower the stock suspension. I'm sure I can figure this out on my own but figure why reinvent the wheel if it's already been done successfully.

Thx........

Last edited by OnTheTrail; 02-10-2021 at 01:57 PM.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:28 PM   #174
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldfin View Post
Not to my knowledge. The RGT Bowler uses a 390 motor and the motor plate that comes with the stock tranny won't fit a 540 motor. You might be able to modify the motor plate on the Bowler's trans to accept 540 motors, but the gears are all plastic, and may not hold up to the additional power.

But you can buy an adapter that bolts on to the Bowler's skid which will allow you to install a regular Axial (or clone of Axial) three-gear transmission which is designed for 540 motors. A seller named jamachuca from Spain sells them on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FTX-Outback...AAAOSwn~JaqXY1

I put one in my Barrage, and I'm running a 540 motor now. I'm sure it would also work just fine in the Bowler.

What driveshafts are you using ?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
RiZZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:19 PM   #175
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
Thx........
Looking for that newest Bronco hardbody, so where did you get it?
deephis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:44 AM   #176
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by deephis46 View Post
Looking for that newest Bronco hardbody, so where did you get it?
I looked for it a couple months ago on Walmart's site. When I did it was back ordered so I checked the box to get an email when it comes in. Sure enough, got an email last month that it was in so I ordered it online. Free shipping.

I also have the yellow New Bright that I'm putting on a TRX4 chassis and I was expecting this new one to be the same size. Turns out it's not but I had a Gen 1 Barrage and the wheel base was kinda close. Still have a lot to do. Have new 1.55 wheels and tires that should be here today.

Edit: Checked USPS tracking and "surprise" my new wheels and tires won't be here today. LOL....

As of now, they're still in stock if you want one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Brigh...0-6d5c85478a02

Last edited by OnTheTrail; 02-13-2021 at 08:10 AM.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:02 AM   #177
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiZZa View Post
What driveshafts are you using ?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Sorry for the late reply. Those are just the stock Barrage driveshafts.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:46 AM   #178

Has any one tried the parts for the rgt ex86100, they look to be the same frame as the barrage. I was looking at the shock mounts, and the steering knuckle. I have been looking at getting another crawler and was checking out the rgt 136100 bowler cause I like the shell. But was looking at the ex86100 cause of the parts difference. Just can't come up with the over 300$ for a gen 8 but I love the scout 2 look. May just have to save and wait to get the gen8.

Thanks
Drzensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:55 PM   #179
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzensen View Post
Has any one tried the parts for the rgt ex86100, they look to be the same frame as the barrage. I was looking at the shock mounts, and the steering knuckle. I have been looking at getting another crawler and was checking out the rgt 136100 bowler cause I like the shell. But was looking at the ex86100 cause of the parts difference. Just can't come up with the over 300$ for a gen 8 but I love the scout 2 look. May just have to save and wait to get the gen8.

Thanks
The ex86100 is a bigger scale then the barrage
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:33 AM   #180

I got a set of ex86100 axles in for cheap looks like the same width as the barrage. It may just be longer in the frame I have looked at several of the rgt models looks like I may be able to use the axles and get the above below mount for shocks and step up to m3 for the shocks. I will snap a pick here soon. The upgrade parts on EBay are a bit different cause of the change in shock setup but I'm running several of the rgt aluminum upgrade stuff and going to build a set of axles to fit my barrage with all the aluminum upgrade.

Thanks
Brian
Drzensen is offline   Reply With Quote

Hillbilly's barrage upgrade bible! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ecx barrage motor upgrade? Yotaboy89 Micro Scale Rigs 10 09-03-2018 02:30 PM
Micro Barrage Motor Upgrade Mongol Pete Micro Scale Rigs 1 01-05-2018 07:07 PM
Barrage upgrade axle Darrell General Crawlers 15 10-05-2017 01:45 PM
Barrage upgrade Darrell General Crawlers 3 06-13-2017 06:59 PM
Ecx barrage motor upgrade? Darrell Newbie General 5 06-08-2017 01:35 PM