Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: How about something new ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2018, 06:25 AM   #101

Default Re: How about something new ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
It’s no surprise to read your comments, even if you still underestimated pricing and so on. However some of this is completely incorrect. We wouldn’t strand a customer if they broke an axle and we wouldn’t do that with any running product. And we haven’t seen axles like this “wear out”. Just because we won’t be offering them individually for sale initially doesn’t mean we don’t back our products to our customers.

We didn’t display our wheels and tires because we weren’t even going to show it at the event at this time. But in the initial plan, when we were going to be running them at the PROLINE event, we we’re going to keep it low key and use Proline tires to show appreciation to the company that put in the hard work. When the last minute change happened because Proline asked us about a possible release, we had this one truck with us to show.
I was just using pricing estimates close to the industry standard and/or your existing prices, but I'm not shocked that I underestimated some things.

In regards to the replacement axle I was just repeating what was said on the Facebook Live feed from the hotel room. I believe it was Michael Pham's. He said replacement axles wouldn't be offered. Maybe he meant that the axles wouldn't be sold to people that don't own the truck?

Are there any plans to sell that axle separately in the future? People have been asking for an offset pumpkin 1.9 axle for a long time.

Can you give any input on your tires? Is the compound similar to any of the good, aftermarket tires or will they be an RTR compound like R35?

I also wanted to ask about the rod ends. Will those be available separately? The only good options we have at this point are those from Traxxas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
This whole project has been a lot of fun and very exciting to be involved with. There are tons of details and durability in this kit that set it apart. I’m looking forward to everyone finally being able to see it!

And I’m lookin forward to not having to triple check every picture I post from my phone to make sure it’s not actually something I can’t show yet!
I'm sure it was a ton of fun. I wish there were some RC manufacturers on the East Coast. I'd love to engineer RCs for a living.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 05-21-2018 at 07:00 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #102
RCC Addict

The portals should've came with this truck !
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #103
RCC Addict

I don't care if you like this truck, its pricing or not.

The one thing that I will say is I never want to hear anyone bitch about Chinese clones of VP parts.

VP imagined a few changes in that body to avoid licensing fees, but basically ripped it off.

No different then the straight up clones. Not saying VP was wrong in what they did, but they did eliminate any right they have to complain about others coping their designs.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #104
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Axles - $500 (which is generous because VP's own portal axle set is $500 and these are NOT portals)
Transmission - $100 (Just a hopped up, old school, 3-gear Axial trans)
Shocks - $100 (The verdict is still out on the Incision shocks and if they are worth the price. As much of a fan as I am of Proline, their $100 shocks are not worth it.)
Links - $50
Driveshafts - $50
Chassis set - $100
Body $50 (not even licensed)
Bumpers - $100 set (Very cool looking, but these should have been plastic and the shock towers and wheels should be aluminu
I know you mentioned chassis above but heres an additional breakdown of the chassis and other components that are of added value:

Stamped Steel frame rails
Machined rock Sliders
Machined rock slider mounts
Stamped aluminum battery/electronics tray
Stainless pivot balls (If you buy a kit ill send you some plastics ones, I know you love them)
Machined Panhard mount
Lexan wheel wells
Lexan interior
Multiple molds for both details
Sticky tires with nice firm foams

There was a lot invested into the US Design/Engineering.

Have you seen the price for a TRX Bronco body complete? Lexan bodies with all the details are not cheap. Vanquish decided to combat that by not licensing and creating a good looking generic body that people can still relate to.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I know you mentioned chassis above but heres an additional breakdown of the chassis and other components that are of added value:

Stamped Steel frame rails
Machined rock Sliders
Machined rock slider mounts
Stamped aluminum battery/electronics tray
Stainless pivot balls (If you buy a kit ill send you some plastics ones, I know you love them)
Machined Panhard mount
Lexan wheel wells
Lexan interior
Multiple molds for both details
Sticky tires with nice firm foams

There was a lot invested into the US Design/Engineering.

Have you seen the price for a TRX Bronco body complete? Lexan bodies with all the details are not cheap. Vanquish decided to combat that by not licensing and creating a good looking generic body that people can still relate to.
You can keep your plastic balls, but thanks!

Yep, I didn't realize all those parts were machined. Nice. There again, why are all those parts machined, but not the shock towers? Seems like an odd decision. Personally, I'd take aluminum shock towers over both aluminum bumpers and sliders any day. The rest looks stout.

The pricing on that Traxxas body is crazy, but it's extremely detailed - more than any Lexan before it that I've seen.

I'll be waiting on this body to be released separately. That's my favorite part at this point.

What percentage of this truck is made in the USA?

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 05-21-2018 at 10:37 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #106
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Yep, I didn't realize all those parts were machined. Nice. There again, why are all those parts machined, but not the shock towers? Seems like an odd decision. Personally, I'd take aluminum shock towers over both aluminum bumpers and sliders any day. The rest looks stout.
Shock towers are a fixed part no matter what body / overall appearance. Bumpers and sliders can be machined without any tooling investment to change bodies in the future.

Also makes it easier to sell a reasonably priced chassis kit in the future.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

yeah this is really neat. really, it is.
but for the money i would rather build a CMAX. just personal preference. this truck really is a nice blend of scale and performance though. not knocking it, just not for me. no sarcasm, very nice job here vanquish!

*just read somebody's comment about no front mount motor.
huh. that does seem like a bit of an oops. a scale drivetrain would have really made this price easier to swallow. or drove it over the thousand mark? maybe that's the transmission set they are releasing later?
like i said, don't get me wrong, not bashing this truck (lol) it makes a lot of sense as the quality and upgrades are already there. its just not for me (the entry to mid-grade type of guy). it would also be cool to be able to buy it in stages like GCM's stuff. THEN i could get behind this!

Last edited by Shinchu; 05-21-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:59 PM   #108
Pebble Pounder

The price itself seems reasonable for what it is, just the body is one ugly lump of lexan. Would prefer to buy it as a kit/slider without the body. Wheels and tires I can live with.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

The body is always one of the main selling points of a kit or RTR vehicle.

I'm sure you could sell the kit body separately for a pretty penny and get your own.

I, for one, absolutely love it!

The grille with the separate bolt-on light housings is choice...

The wheels being plastic allows the overall price to be kept just a bit cheaper, and for most people they are one of the very first items changed out to personalize their rig.

Smart move there, as well.

They are just about the only thing I'd immediately change if I got one, the other being the front bumper would need a stubby stinger bar, possibly with a winch mount.

I'm also waiting on Vanquish to release more Incision plastic wheel designs, I like the idea, just not personally a fan of the Machete pattern.

Swap the hubs and rings out for aluminum, good to go.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #110
RCC Addict

The price really isnt bad considering what you are getting from the start. Get a 10.2 and add a set of Curries, aftermarket shocks, aluminum bumpers, sliders, tranny case, etc...You'll be up over $900 easily. Build one piece by piece and you will be over that price too. We normally just spend that money a bit at a time so you dont have quite the sticker shock.

I'm not patient enough to sit through a 45 minute youtube video going over it. I'll have to wait for more pictures. I walked right by it at the Proline event and didnt even know it. Then when I heard about it, they had already taken it away.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Speaking once more about the body...

At least it's NOT "Just another Jeep, Toyota, Land Rover, or Bronco" which is one of the most common complaints I've read about every other body released here!

I still think it looks just as if Icon 4x4 (the 1:1 resto-mod company) released their own version of a International Harvester Scout II.

(which would be awesome, IMHO)
Old 05-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #112
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
The price really isnt bad considering what you are getting from the start. Get a 10.2 and add a set of Curries, aftermarket shocks, aluminum bumpers, sliders, tranny case, etc...You'll be up over $900 easily. Build one piece by piece and you will be over that price too. We normally just spend that money a bit at a time so you dont have quite the sticker shock.

I'm not patient enough to sit through a 45 minute youtube video going over it. I'll have to wait for more pictures. I walked right by it at the Proline event and didnt even know it. Then when I heard about it, they had already taken it away.
Sorry for not being able to keep the rig on display longer, I was super hungry and ready to head back to the hotel is why I didn't hang out at the Pro-Line event late. Got to play with it the next day and put some scratches on it
nissan_driver24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:57 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

So these axles, are they like a RockJock that doesn't have the tilted back diffy cover? Sorry for the lack of correct terms, what I might consider to be the correct verbiage may be completely off base.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mond View Post
The price itself seems reasonable for what it is, just the body is one ugly lump of lexan. Would prefer to buy it as a kit/slider without the body. Wheels and tires I can live with.
The body looks better than any land rover.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #115
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
So these axles, are they like a RockJock that doesn't have the tilted back diffy cover? Sorry for the lack of correct terms, what I might consider to be the correct verbiage may be completely off base.
Basically yes, the Currie RockJock 44 doesn’t have the rotated pumpkin. It’s modeled after that basically.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #116
Pebble Pounder

I think this kit is priced right where it should be. Like Harley said, it's not for everyone. But it is for some people, and I am one of those people. We have been seeing many new trucks come out getting closer to $325.00. I don't understand why people are complaining about the price. If its not for you then OK. There are many people on here, including myself who like and want high end parts such as machine aluminum instead of plastic. You are getting the best quality parts with this kit. There may be a few things that people would want to change but overall, this kit is amazing and we haven't even see all the details. It comes with the most scale parts that a kit has been release with yet. It includes a freaking interior. I don't see anyone doing that. I applaud Vanquish for this releasing this. Again, its not for everyone. And if your that person, then stop ripping it apart because its not your cup of tee or you can't afford it. I'm not sure I could afford it at this time but I will definitely be saving up for it because I know the value is there!
Crawler505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:51 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

I'd rather have it than 4 and a half of the new Team Associated scalers...

Let's keep it light around here, these are all just toy trucks, dammit!

(tho' I'll admit the Vanquish is worthy of being passed along to your first-born sons...)
Old 05-21-2018, 10:58 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

I'd like to see more details and pictures of everything when it's released and what any possible future optional parts will be available for it. I guess if someone likes all the parts included as-is... it'd be a good option.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:17 AM   #119
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
The body is always one of the main selling points of a kit or RTR vehicle.

I'm sure you could sell the kit body separately for a pretty penny and get your own.

I, for one, absolutely love it!

The grille with the separate bolt-on light housings is choice...

The wheels being plastic allows the overall price to be kept just a bit cheaper, and for most people they are one of the very first items changed out to personalize their rig.

Smart move there, as well.

They are just about the only thing I'd immediately change if I got one, the other being the front bumper would need a stubby stinger bar, possibly with a winch mount.

I'm also waiting on Vanquish to release more Incision plastic wheel designs, I like the idea, just not personally a fan of the Machete pattern.

Swap the hubs and rings out for aluminum, good to go.
I'd argue that this is aimed purely at the enthusiast and a kit without a body or a slider shouldn't be out of the question. I may still buy one if I can get it without import tariffs.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:06 AM   #120
MSH
Pebble Pounder

there is a ton of pics on carter fab & machine's FB page.
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote