Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Affordable, HAMMERJAW !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Affordable, HAMMERJAW !

Check this out from ForceRC
Force RC Announces The Hammerjaw Rock Bouncer! « Big Squid RC – RC Car and Truck News, Reviews, Videos, and More!
https://www.horizonhobby.com/categor...ce-rc/force-rc
At horizon hobby
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2018, 11:47 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Affordable, HAMMERJAW !

RGT Rock Hammer = same car? I question some of the "budget" products I've seen on Horizon and Tower's sites, even before the buyout. I understand the need for budget/entry level products, but when they keep coming out with "new" brands that are short lived, it starts smelling like Harbor Freight.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:24 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yep, same car, different graphics (posted on 5/22/2017):

Rgt rr-4
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #4

This doesn't appear to be the same car unless a lot of updates were done. The axles on the RGT are exactly the same as the axles under the E10, Gen7 and other HSP-built trucks. This hammerjaw appears to have different axles. The C-hubs and lockouts attach with screws at 12:00 and 6:00, not 3:00 and 9:00 like the HSP/Redcat type. The shock & link mount is a separate bolt on instead of molded into the axle tube, and the steering links look different. There don't seem to be enough pics of the Hammerjaw to see if the trans and skid are the same. The Hammerjaw seems to use an all on 1 esc/receiver/servo controller, where the Rock Hammer uses separate stuff. I like the axles of thus Hammerjaw better, but the combined electronics kind of ruins it for me.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Ya gotta love how in the official video one of the features is "independent suspension, oil filled shocks".... uhhhh .... Overall a pretty corny video...

I guess as an alternative to something like an everest or maxtone 10, this might be ok if you want a more detailed body, but still being a TVP chassis, I dont see much point.... also, seems pricey to have an integrated RX/ESC....
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #6

I like it as a low budget alternative to the Bomber or Wraith. There aren't really any larger wheelbase 2.2 platforms out there.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I like it as a low budget alternative to the Bomber or Wraith. There aren't really any larger wheelbase 2.2 platforms out there.
Nothing in the promotional video leads me to believe these will be in any way competition with a wraith or bomber. Looks to be nothing more than a glorified everest 10..... in fact it has the same 14/87 gearing....
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:44 AM   #8

The axle ring gear and pinion are the same as in the sport version of the Redcat gen 7 (sintered metal with a plastic locker) the locker will strip out on first run due the leverage of the large tires, and they are large. I ordered two of hsp 180009 aluminum lockers for $10 each. The platform is nice and performs well as a 2.2 crawler. The stock 540 motor is undersized. I replaced mine with a 550 12t $12 i had lying around, but that doesn't have enough torque. I now have a Holmes hobbies 21t $20 and it is much better. Don't weight the wheels or you will break an axle. I am looking at using 2 of the long side wraith cheap import cvd axles cut down to fit. I'll update when I am done. The skid plate and transmission are HSP just like an Everest 10 or Gen7. All in all I really enjoy it as a budget 2.2 crawler my girlfriend can drive while drive my Gmade GOM. Eventually I may move my Gen7 electronics over when I upgrade the Gen7. That should be a cheap and reliable upgrade for the Hammer jaw and all it needs as a crawler. The chassis will make for a great bouncer if you upgrade the axles.

Last edited by Bobzilla9p0; 10-31-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Bobzilla9p0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:02 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

thanks! might get one of these as a gift for my father in law. he needs something more capable than his yeti before the next proline by the fire event.

tried getting him into scale trucks but he keeps saying he wants "one of the ones you can fit a coke can under".
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:09 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

are u sure on the axles? I was told rear axle was same as red cat camo x4 and the hammer jaw has issuse of braking left ft dogbone
chazekxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazekxt View Post
are u sure on the axles? I was told rear axle was same as red cat camo x4 and the hammer jaw has issuse of braking left ft dogbone
The rear axle appears to be very similar to the Camo X4, but not exactly the same from what I can tell. The Camo X4 appears to have longer lockouts, plus the X4 uses a locked center section with outdrives (just like an independant center section would have) and axles with dogbone ends to interface with those outdrives. The Hammer Jaw uses the more conventional style locker that the E10 & Gen7 use, along with "normal" axle shafts.

It looks like the Hammer Jaw front axles are the same style as the rears, which seem to share parts with the older style axles on the E10/Gen7. If that's the case, there may be some upgrade paths available.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
The rear axle appears to be very similar to the Camo X4, but not exactly the same from what I can tell. The Camo X4 appears to have longer lockouts, plus the X4 uses a locked center section with outdrives (just like an independant center section would have) and axles with dogbone ends to interface with those outdrives. The Hammer Jaw uses the more conventional style locker that the E10 & Gen7 use, along with "normal" axle shafts.

It looks like the Hammer Jaw front axles are the same style as the rears, which seem to share parts with the older style axles on the E10/Gen7. If that's the case, there may be some upgrade paths available.
You are correct in the difference between the Camo TT and X4 rear end and the Hammerjaw. I have seen the Camo`s diffs disassembled at my local hobby shop and I upgraded my Hammerjaw with HSP part 180009 (listed as 18009 sometimes on ebay). It is the same as a gen 7 and not the dogbone drive cup set up of the camo`s. The plastic center section including the diff housing are exactly the same HSP part number. This is for max profit on "economies of scale" sales. To keep costs down they are using the same part in multiple applications but with different internals.

I may just order a set of Xtraspeed aluminum Wraith axles for mine though.

One other thing on the Camo car's rearend diff with out drives is that people are breaking the dogbone ends when landing jumps on the rear wheels. Redcat`s solution is yet another compatable diff. An open diff outdrive direct replacement for the Camos.

Last edited by Bobzilla9p0; 11-04-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:50 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I just received my northwood scaler from tower, its identical to the hammerjaw, you can install axial lockers ring an pinion gears an wraith universals, ,,, but you gotta cut down the length or add to them but they do fit the knuckles just fine also I installed the redcat steel gears in the tranny, upgraded to a traxxas 21turn 550 motor also did a radio an esc swap from a gen7 redcat, same price as a hammerjaw but with a huge suv type body, its a fun truck , its a loaner for anyone interested in trail running an hasn't bought one yet, with a couple upgrades yeah I would add it to the list of cheap beginner scalers
fomoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:05 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
I just received my northwood scaler from tower, its identical to the hammerjaw, you can install axial lockers ring an pinion gears an wraith universals, ,,, but you gotta cut down the length or add to them but they do fit the knuckles just fine also I installed the redcat steel gears in the tranny, upgraded to a traxxas 21turn 550 motor also did a radio an esc swap from a gen7 redcat, same price as a hammerjaw but with a huge suv type body, its a fun truck , its a loaner for anyone interested in trail running an hasn't bought one yet, with a couple upgrades yeah I would add it to the list of cheap beginner scalers
correct me if im wrong, ive been doing a ton of searching on some thoughts from reading posts on the hammerjaw where i find them. it appears that hsp maybe has redesigned the axle housings themselves but have kept the internals the same. if this is true, i think that the redcat/exceed/hsp lockers gears and cvd drive shafts will work, no? also i had noticed that the c hubs and rear lock outs are mounted with the screws at 6/12, instead of the other housing where the screws mount 3/6...so hopefully some hopup chubs will be released soon.

these axles could be a nice upgrade for stock redcat gen7 rigs, along with the motor/spur gear cage desegin on the very noticable hsp transmission .
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:11 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

the axles are very wide, close to a axial wraith width, if used on a gen7 chassis it might work but going to be very wide, the redcat aluminum lockers ring an pinion gears will fit just fine,also the transmission is same as a redcat an hsp, funny this northwoods ( hammerjaw) has alittle bit of everything, some axial some hsp some redcat in it
fomoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
the axles are very wide, close to a axial wraith width, if used on a gen7 chassis it might work but going to be very wide, the redcat aluminum lockers ring an pinion gears will fit just fine,also the transmission is same as a redcat an hsp, funny this northwoods ( hammerjaw) has alittle bit of everything, some axial some hsp some redcat in it
Well for poops n farts i have one on the way to the house simply to tear it down and visually see everything in person. From my own research i have now convinced myself that this rig is nothing more then an in house design via Horizon team, and contracted thru HSP, exclusively for horizon hobbies, obviously branded under yet another label within the monopoly of a corporation. Funny tho, they watched redcat design the gen7 and do this exact motion in order to create the rtr that redcat did. So, within this industry anymore its hard to be a die hard "enter brand name here", when prices fluctuate so much simply because it has one name or another. 80% of all rc is literally all produced within a few major manufacturing plants.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Alright, quick update for the Hammerjaw.
I had to order one up and get it in person to be able to honestly compare it to a redcat gen7. Honestly, it may share bearings between the axle assemblies but nothing else. The Hammerjaw axle is monstrous in comparisons to the Gen7. larger housing, c-hubs, lock outs, center diff etc...
the transmission/motor mount and skid look the same as any hsp/redcat. but thats it!
I have come to the conclusion tho that the concern with the front axle shafts are indeed the steering throw. its simply way over steer'd for what the dogbone/cup is capable of and because of this, the edge of the cup not only chews up the edge of the pin that makes up the dog bone, it also grinds down the shaft, behind the dogbone portion and it will simple shear off.
Unfortunately until Horizon releases a cvd stle front drive shaft this will always be an issue so the steerng rate will need to be adjusted down some. Other then that, right out of the box with its provided nmhi battery, it operates fairly well.
I am impressed with a few things on this platform overall in regards to it simply being an entry level off road 4x.
I may end up doing a picture archive with a small write up later on, but now im waiting on the back ordered front axle shaft lol.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIK_BOY View Post
Alright, quick update for the Hammerjaw.
I had to order one up and get it in person to be able to honestly compare it to a redcat gen7. Honestly, it may share bearings between the axle assemblies but nothing else. The Hammerjaw axle is monstrous in comparisons to the Gen7. larger housing, c-hubs, lock outs, center diff etc...
the transmission/motor mount and skid look the same as any hsp/redcat. but thats it!
I have come to the conclusion tho that the concern with the front axle shafts are indeed the steering throw. its simply way over steer'd for what the dogbone/cup is capable of and because of this, the edge of the cup not only chews up the edge of the pin that makes up the dog bone, it also grinds down the shaft, behind the dogbone portion and it will simple shear off.
Unfortunately until Horizon releases a cvd stle front drive shaft this will always be an issue so the steerng rate will need to be adjusted down some. Other then that, right out of the box with its provided nmhi battery, it operates fairly well.
I am impressed with a few things on this platform overall in regards to it simply being an entry level off road 4x.
I may end up doing a picture archive with a small write up later on, but now im waiting on the back ordered front axle shaft lol.
Inside of the Hammerjaw axle housing the ring, locker, and spool are the exact same as the Redcat Gen7 sport (axle shafts are different). Order a pair of HSP 180009 aluminum ones to replace (the stock plastic will strip out after 2-3 uses). I have done this on mine, works fine. For axle shaft upgrade you can order 2 pairs of cheap AR60 (Wraith) CVDs on Ebay or Amazon $10-12 shipped. Take the long ones and cut to length then grind flat the sides for 8mm to fit the locker spool.

Alternatively, I ended up buying a set of AR60 (Axial Wraith) style aluminum complete axle assemblies on Ebay made by Xtra Speed (Front #XS-AW-1XS Rear #XS-AW-1XS) This is not a budget minded option. Due to the Off Center Pumpkin/Differential you will need to flip the transmission skid plate around to the other side for drive shaft alignment. You will also need different shocks as the mounts on these axles are the industry standard narrow size. I got a set of 4 blue 90mm dual spring shocks for $24 shipped on Amazon with faux resevoirs (for looks). It also needed longer drive shafts so I ordered steel 122-151mm CVD drive shafts($23 Amazon) Again, all of this starts to add up in total price. The truck has 2.2 aluminum wheels and brass beef patties wheel weights (the new axles don't seem to break with these heavy weights on like the stock did). I have decided that over time I am going to slowly convert this into a Ultra 4 style rig. I have an all aluminum Wraith style 2 speed transmission (got for my bday). I love the truck and I going to run the body until it falls apart then convert to a rock bouncer metal cage body (which will likely require a wraith center skid plate). I normally run 1.9 1/10 trail trucks with my friends but when I go alone I like to keep a faster pace on the mountain so this truck is being built to accomodate that. The bigger 2.2 wheels, wider stance, more ground clearance, and lower gearing with faster motor all help this cover rocky rough ground faster than a 1.9 rig. I also make my own 2 stage foams using 1/2 inch thick EVA foam mats (Wlamart or Harbor Freight are cheapest) and 1 inch thick open cell foam from a craft store. I had High hopes for the stock Hammerjaw axles as they are a HSP part so I wanted them to end up in a lot of different trucks (Red Cat uses them in the Camo TT and X4 rears) thus leading to more aluminum and steel upgrades but it didn't happen. So I Went with the AR60 Wraith axles as I am sure I'll be able to get parts for a long time. I am really tough on my rigs and need spares ( I give 6-10 hours a week of mountain trail abuse to the hobby). I believe that cheaper alternative of using 2 sets of cheap Wraith CVDs will work. I hope this helps

Last edited by Bobzilla9p0; 04-04-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #19

nevermind. My question was already answered above.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobzilla9p0 View Post
Inside of the Hammerjaw axle housing the ring, locker, and spool are the exact same as the Redcat Gen7 sport (axle shafts are different). Order a pair of HSP 180009 aluminum ones to replace (the stock plastic will strip out after 2-3 uses). I have done this on mine, works fine. For axle shaft upgrade you can order 2 pairs of cheap AR60 (Wraith) CVDs on Ebay or Amazon $10-12 shipped. Take the long ones and cut to length then grind flat the sides for 8mm to fit the locker spool.

Alternatively, I ended up buying a set of AR60 (Axial Wraith) style aluminum complete axle assemblies on Ebay made by Xtra Speed (Front #XS-AW-1XS Rear #XS-AW-1XS) This is not a budget minded option. Due to the Off Center Pumpkin/Differential you will need to flip the transmission skid plate around to the other side for drive shaft alignment. You will also need different shocks as the mounts on these axles are the industry standard narrow size. I got a set of 4 blue 90mm dual spring shocks for $24 shipped on Amazon with faux resevoirs (for looks). It also needed longer drive shafts so I ordered steel 122-151mm CVD drive shafts($23 Amazon) Again, all of this starts to add up in total price. The truck has 2.2 aluminum wheels and brass beef patties wheel weights (the new axles don't seem to break with these heavy weights on like the stock did). I have decided that over time I am going to slowly convert this into a Ultra 4 style rig. I have an all aluminum Wraith style 2 speed transmission (got for my bday). I love the truck and I going to run the body until it falls apart then convert to a rock bouncer metal cage body (which will likely require a wraith center skid plate). I normally run 1.9 1/10 trail trucks with my friends but when I go alone I like to keep a faster pace on the mountain so this truck is being built to accomodate that. The bigger 2.2 wheels, wider stance, more ground clearance, and lower gearing with faster motor all help this cover rocky rough ground faster than a 1.9 rig. I also make my own 2 stage foams using 1/2 inch thick EVA foam mats (Wlamart or Harbor Freight are cheapest) and 1 inch thick open cell foam from a craft store. I had High hopes for the stock Hammerjaw axles as they are a HSP part so I wanted them to end up in a lot of different trucks (Red Cat uses them in the Camo TT and X4 rears) thus leading to more aluminum and steel upgrades but it didn't happen. So I Went with the AR60 Wraith axles as I am sure I'll be able to get parts for a long time. I am really tough on my rigs and need spares ( I give 6-10 hours a week of mountain trail abuse to the hobby). I believe that cheaper alternative of using 2 sets of cheap Wraith CVDs will work. I hope this helps
Any chance you could post a part number for a what ar60 wraith CVDs you are referring to? Ordering a couple of hammerjaws to get my kids going and would like to have the right parts on hand. Thank you!
Moresnowdays is offline   Reply With Quote

Affordable, HAMMERJAW ! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where are all the affordable wheels? redsawacs Axial AX-10 Scorpion 28 03-08-2014 07:13 PM
Looking for an affordable Radio TACORICAN Electronics 20 11-16-2010 08:17 PM
affordable esc? gearmonkey23 Electronics 4 01-04-2008 10:55 AM