Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Getting more steering angle out of a Barrage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2018, 09:03 AM   #1

Default Getting more steering angle out of a Barrage?

My Barrage Doomsday arrived this weekend. I took it for a quick drive around the house, and quickly discovered that this thing has a huge turning radius. The maximum steering angle of the front wheels isn't too impressive. Unfortunately, it looks like shaving the stops off the knuckles is only going to give me a little bit more angle, plus the drag link is already very close to the differential housing.

So, assuming that I shave those stops and tweak the drag link a little, how much more steering is available? From the looks of things, I'm not going to gain much.

The lousy steering on the Gen7s was a heavily discussed topic, yet I don't seem to hear much chatter about it from the Barrage guys.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Getting more steering angle out of a Barrage?

I dunno, I dont have an issue with my steering, its way tighter than my exceed maxstone 10, at least when the maxtone is in 2 wheel steering mode....
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Hillbilly's barrage upgrade bible!

There is two ways I know and I have covered both in the bible.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:43 AM   #4

I read the bible. The only mention I really saw to steering angle was to try the Losi zero-ackerman knuckles, but I didn't get the impression that you (or anybody else) actually did the mod to determine what improvement it actually makes. Did I miss that part?
Old 06-25-2018, 02:20 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Everything i posted has been researched and verified. I've looked through around 200 pages of threads for all the info in The bible. Not just barrages also looked at ecx tempers, ftx outback, rgt rock cruiser all same axles only difference is some came cvd axle and some came dog bone. If I couldn't verify that it worked it didn't get posted. Like an overdrive pinion for the front axle I toyed with it a little back when I had rgt axles but never tested. others had and didn't have luck trying it. I think it can work with shimming and maybe some other work. But didn't post it cause it hasn't been verified.

The other mention about steering and ill get that updated in the steering section is using dravtech wraptors to xr mod the axles.

The info on losi knuckles was found in a thread on www.rccrawler.de. its a German forum like this forum.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #6

Today I trimmed the stops down on the steering knuckles and adjusted the end points. It didn't really help much. Before the knuckles touch the c-hubs, the c-hubs start to flex on the axle housing.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The c-hub is aluminum its probably the axle housing itself. I think 1/4" brake line or brass tube could work as a beef tube to help that out. I'm guessing on the size of tube I can't remember. I found it within the losi mrc sub forum. Or just measure the id of inside of the housing.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

A new strong steering servo will also make a huge difference.
Tundratrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:49 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Yup i found that the stock setvo is weak near the endpoints. It would only get there when the tires were off the ground. The helicopter servo I used is 3 times stronger and can reach the endpoints even with weight on the tires. This combined with bending the drag link and shaving the nubs off the knuckles.
Xrayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:11 AM   #10

I didn't mention it above, but I also installed a different servo when I cut the stops. I put the servo from my Gen7 into it. While it's no powerhouse, it is roughly 3x stronger than the stock Barrage servo. It's got plenty of torque to twist the crap out of the axle.

Getting more steering angle out of a Barrage? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Better steering angle out of a TH? Jim85IROC Vaterra Twin Hammers 1 02-07-2018 08:45 PM
more steering angle please!!!! roadrunner440-72 Axial SCX-10 4 12-17-2016 09:02 PM
Steering angle BOB8789 Axial SCX-10 6 01-13-2012 10:55 PM
Steering Angle HiloDB1 Kyosho Crawlers 1 11-26-2008 11:05 AM
Steering angle NeoSlayer888 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 3 10-29-2005 07:21 PM