Notices

Thread: Team Associated CR12 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Team Associated CR12 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Hey, Ethan! You're doing some beautiful machine-work! My buddy, Travis has been talking to you ( IG?) and we're both excited to soon have some of your work on our cr12's. Will continue to follow along... really well thought-out and executed mods!

Thanks a lot! I actually am just taking a break from the bumper now! Both of your servo mount plates are done and I am hoping to finish his bumper up soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EXTREME RC 4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Hot dang, tranny should’ve come that way, very nice work! Rc4wd beadlocks are significantly heavier and Mud Thrashers probably taller, reducing the throttle punch. Maybe gear swap or bigger motor? Btw those Mud Thrashers look great but ime hard as rock. . Maybe some 1.55 Pitbullsw?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:22 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Would you be willing to share that tranny file or is there a place to purchase?
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:39 AM   #44
Rock Stacker

Default Team Associated CR12 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Hot dang, tranny should’ve come that way, very nice work! Rc4wd beadlocks are significantly heavier and Mud Thrashers probably taller, reducing the throttle punch. Maybe gear swap or bigger motor? Btw those Mud Thrashers look great but ime hard as rock. . Maybe some 1.55 Pitbullsw?

Thank you! That is what I thought. The way I have it setup even a minor suspension lift would probably cause binding in the driveshafts due to the much higher angles. Absolutely no issue at stock ride height as long as the driveshafts are in time though. Mud thrashers are definitely a bit stiff. I ran them on my TF2 with no foams and only air sealed lol. I may upgrade to some nicer tires in the future if I decide to go for a performance build. Lower gearing is also something I’ve considered by front mounting the transmission and adding a transfer case. Preferably an over/under drive setup although that might defeat the purpose of gearing down. Not many other smaller pinions I’ve found yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Would you be willing to share that tranny file or is there a place to purchase?

Sadly due to the nature of the design program I can’t share to file. Check out this YouTube video- I’m not allowed to advertise parts sales here.

https://youtu.be/bvbvcHwjUs4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2019, 01:15 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

That’s what I figured about driveshaft angle, maybe use different gears to design new case with more reduction and better angles and or planetary gear reduction? Either way, great work you’re doing with this truck!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
That’s what I figured about driveshaft angle, maybe use different gears to design new case with more reduction and better angles and or planetary gear reduction? Either way, great work you’re doing with this truck!

Thanks a lot! I don’t have any real issue with the angle as I don’t plan to lift mine any but a different design is definitely possible. I just wanted to use the factory gears for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #47

Posting this in both threads, did anyone have trouble connecting the battery to the esc?
I can not get them connected, I mean I could probably do it, but it just should not take that much force. I'm afraid if I do get them connected I won't be able to get them disconnected, then the battery drains to a dangerous level and that's my fault. All I use is Dean's connectors and I've never had this problem before, it's definitely the battery to, I was able to connect one of 5000mah packs no problem.

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk
wacmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:44 PM   #48
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacmartin View Post
Posting this in both threads, did anyone have trouble connecting the battery to the esc?
I can not get them connected, I mean I could probably do it, but it just should not take that much force. I'm afraid if I do get them connected I won't be able to get them disconnected, then the battery drains to a dangerous level and that's my fault. All I use is Dean's connectors and I've never had this problem before, it's definitely the battery to, I was able to connect one of 5000mah packs no problem.

I am able to get my stock battery on and off but it definitely requires some force. All my other batteries go on no problem like you said. You could always try to solider on a new connector if it’s that bad

Old 01-06-2019, 10:38 PM   #49

I gave the little tabs a pinch with my fingers and was able to connect them that way. That was my next step, soldering on a new connector. Problem was I only had a female end, and the problem connector was the male. Fun little truck, I just ran it in the house. It traversed some pillows pretty smoothly. Lol

wacmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:52 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacmartin View Post
I gave the little tabs a pinch with my fingers and was able to connect them that way. That was my next step, soldering on a new connector. Problem was I only had a female end, and the problem connector was the male. Fun little truck, I just ran it in the house. It traversed some pillows pretty smoothly. Lol

That’s good you got it figured out! I do remember having some batteries that I had to smoosh the connectors down on but I’m not sure if it was this truck or not.

Here’s what’s going on with my second CR12.... this is going to be a fun project!

Old 02-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #51

Is the the Tamyia clod body? I might have to do something crazy like that
Darknight10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:14 PM   #52

That new body is looking great. I was curious about using one of these as a base for a Tamiya Unimog body I've got. Just extending the wheelbase out to 242 mm. Looks like you've gone beyond that on the above, any feedback on how it's acting with an extended wheelbase? The body is 220mm wide and so some slightly bigger tires on the CR12 might be required to fill out the fender-wells haha.
drewfuspx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #53
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknight10 View Post
Is the the Tamyia clod body? I might have to do something crazy like that

Yes it is! Sorry for the late reply... I have been working on finalizing my design for a chassis that will utilize my high clearance transmission along with possibly a center transfer case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfuspx View Post
That new body is looking great. I was curious about using one of these as a base for a Tamiya Unimog body I've got. Just extending the wheelbase out to 242 mm. Looks like you've gone beyond that on the above, any feedback on how it's acting with an extended wheelbase? The body is 220mm wide and so some slightly bigger tires on the CR12 might be required to fill out the fender-wells haha.

Thank you! I don’t yet know how it’s driving yet. In the pictures I have it on a custom extended frame that I have been working on. That body is about 10 7/8” not quite sure how long that is in mm at the moment.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:58 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

Had a busy night installing my new custom frame. It went on super easy and I found many small changes that I’ll be making for the next version. I’m hoping to get bumpers done before the competition on Sunday and I’d also like to make a panhard bar as it is no less than a necessity at this point and time for me.

To all CR12 owners and even if you aren’t (yet lol) I would love to hear any suggestions on design improvements you would like to see. Many more hidden features in this frame to be shown soon!

Old 03-17-2019, 08:48 AM   #55
Rock Stacker

Well I ended up finishing my bumpers as well as a battery tray so the truck is all ready for the competition today! Very happy with the steering angle and how the bumpers came out. As far as the electronics trays go, they work and were a quick and dirty project. Can’t wait to see how it does at the competition today!

Also, as far as body mounts go I just chopped up the stock shock towers and used the body post mounts on those. Since my frame is setup as an improved CR12 chassis the spacing was perfect once I got the pieces mounted.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #56
RCC Addict

Looking great, Ethan! Can't wait to see how she does. Good luck!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:18 PM   #57
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Looking great, Ethan! Can't wait to see how she does. Good luck!

Truck ended up doing great! Many more improvements to come.

Recently I got a set of Axail yeti Jr tires which are perfect for these trucks as they are a bit larger but not too much. They are very difficult to find since they are discontinued now and most people don’t want to separate them from the truck but I was lucky enough to get a set. Would love to get another in the future as well. Here’s how they look on my Clodbuster CR12 which is slowly coming together.

Sorry that the picture looks so dark on the wheels. I’ll make sure to get better pictures with the truck running outside. I’m thinking of putting the tires on a different set of wheels or possibly machining my own if I get a chance to. Thanks for looking!

Old 04-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #58
Rock Stacker

Well much more progress this week since it was spring break and I was lucky enough to be stuck at home lol! I am now on version 4 of the chassis and still making improvements as we speak. First was making shock towers independent of the frame to meet SORRCA rules, a front transmission mount, multiple adjustable wheelbases, raised upper link mounts, a trackbar mount, and many more things to come.

My new harbor freight lathe made making my prototype crossmembers a breeze and I am very happy with it so far...

The wheelbases for the frame are adjustable in 1/4” increments with up to an inch of movement from the stock clodbuster wheelbase of about 10 7/8”. Down the road I may consider doing a chassis made specifically for the sock wheelbase.

I also decided that I would learn a new design software to make this chassis as good as possible.

I’m hoping to pick up a 3D printer eventually however I may try to lay off the spending after the recent lathe purchase.

The goal is to have a rear sealed compartment that looks like a fuel cell which sits behind the rear axle where the receiver will sit. Then part of that tray but not sealed is a place to put the ESC and possibly the battery. I think a TF2 inspired aluminum electronics tray/floor would suit the chassis well however it would most likely only work on the transfer case model but that’s all to be determined at the moment. Going to see if I can get a 3D printed servo mount done up at school this week so we can continue on with the prototyping without having to wait for shapeways to do it.

Thanks for looking!
Old 04-06-2019, 11:32 PM   #59

Great work Ethan, I've got the first gen stuff and stretched it out to fit a sumo body. Any idea if you'll ever make the transmission mount fit a 540 motor ?
Subieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #60
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subieboi View Post
Great work Ethan, I've got the first gen stuff and stretched it out to fit a sumo body. Any idea if you'll ever make the transmission mount fit a 540 motor ?

How have you liked the parts so far? I do plan on making a 540 specific transmission and will be testing it in this frame before it goes into production. Not sure if I mentioned it before but these trucks will have the option of a forward mount transmission with a center transfer case. As far as the design is looking right now the 540 motor will only be able to be front mounted. I might try to play with the design a little but I think it’s just a bit too tight around all of the link mounts to be able to have that large motor mounted in the center.

Team Associated CR12 Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW 1/12 Team Associated CR12 Ford F-150 RTR RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-28-2018 12:10 PM
Team Associated CR12 Trail Series cul8tr General Crawlers 9 05-24-2018 06:25 PM
Team Associated CR12??? mjderstine Scale Comp Rules 3 05-22-2018 09:06 AM
⚡OPEN FOR PRE-ORDER!⚡ NEW 1/12 Team Associated CR12 Ford F-150 RTR! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 05-21-2018 10:17 AM
New Team Associated CR12 Ford F-150 Flareside Crawler tuanies General Scale Talk 5 05-19-2018 10:57 AM