Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Team Associated CR12 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2019, 10:07 PM   #61

Default Re: Team Associated CR12 Build

So far it's been great, had to make custom links for the wheelbase and axles as well. The 380 is ok but once its stretched it needs some more power and weight to make it even more capable. Nonetheless great work and looking forward to that new kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME RC 4X4 View Post
How have you liked the parts so far? I do plan on making a 540 specific transmission and will be testing it in this frame before it goes into production. Not sure if I mentioned it before but these trucks will have the option of a forward mount transmission with a center transfer case. As far as the design is looking right now the 540 motor will only be able to be front mounted. I might try to play with the design a little but I think it’s just a bit too tight around all of the link mounts to be able to have that large motor mounted in the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Subieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2019, 07:31 AM   #62
Rock Stacker

Big update these last few days. I new have a 3D printer and it opened up a ton of new possibilities. First I got my Servo/trackbar Mount printed, then a rear electronics tray that wraps around the rear axle, and now working on body mounts. New frame rails are being cut as well as new front shock towers for body mounts.

The plan is to keep the posts that are used to hold the body in position but add places for magnets in the design so that it will be held down cleanly. The posts will keep the body from being jarred sideways or front/back. Once the front body mounts are done I will start moving on to 3D printing my transmission and a transfer case using RC4WD Hammer Transfer Case internals. Thanks for looking!

EXTREME RC 4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:08 PM   #63
Rock Stacker

We are now on Version 4 of the chassis and for the first time I have not found anything that needs to be changed on these frame rails yet! The new design allowed me to mount the servo/trackbar mount, from there I made a new 3D printed trackbar mount for the axle side. With the new setup there is no bump steer. I also started 3D printing my transmission but need to do the other half still. New front shock towers were made to work with the new chassis and a front body mount will get designed soon. I acquired a lot of magnets which will be put to good use very soon. I am absolutely loving this new 3D printer...

Thanks for looking!

Old 05-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #64
Pebble Pounder

I found your channel on YouTube while researching what rig to buy for my sons first crawler.. Ive now purchased 2 CR12 LOL. Great looking build! Ill be keeping my eye on this as well as ordering your performance package once, I get a few packs thru the CR12 once it arrives. Great work!
ProjektONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:18 AM   #65
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjektONE View Post
I found your channel on YouTube while researching what rig to buy for my sons first crawler.. Ive now purchased 2 CR12 LOL. Great looking build! Ill be keeping my eye on this as well as ordering your performance package once, I get a few packs thru the CR12 once it arrives. Great work!

I think I’ve got you one upped with my 3 CR12’s but it must be a ton of fun being able to wheel them together! Thanks for the compliments, I’ve been working on 3D printing my transmissions as they seem to come out cleaner printed.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #66
Rock Stacker

I put my 3D printer against the stock chassis now to see what I could improve on them and also replace some of my machined parts with printed ones since printing them is so much easier for me!
First I eliminated the bumper steer.

Here’s the only picture of the rest of the performance package that I have right now.

Still a little tweaking to do but it should be ready for production soon.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:34 AM   #67
Pebble Pounder

Nice!!! After 5 battery packs, I am not ready for some upgrades! Are you looking to change the design or change how the parts are produced?
ProjektONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #68
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Nice!!! After 5 battery packs, I am not ready for some upgrades! Are you looking to change the design or change how the parts are produced?

Awesome! These changes were made mostly to utilize my new 3D printer. The printed transmission is much better tolerance wise and being able to print the parts opens a lot of new options such as the radio box with a lid. The Panhard bar setup to eliminate bump steer also would not be possible for me to machine on my CNC machine. Overall I think the 3D printed parts have a much better fitment and are going to make customers very happy.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:15 AM   #69

[QUOTE=EXTREME RC 4X4;5870525]Thank you! I started working on a winch bumper just to see how it would look. It will need to be changed slightly I’m sure once I get the final winch dimensions.

What is the possibility i can get you to email me these in a CAD file or even just the prints? Would love to have our machinist make these for me! lol
TxrcNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The plan is to keep the posts that are used to hold the body in position but add places for magnets in the design so that it will be held down cleanly. The posts will keep the body from being jarred sideways or front/back. Once the front body mounts are done I will start moving on to 3D printing my transmission and a transfer case using RC4WD Hammer Transfer Case internals. Thanks for looking!
Looks great, only thing might be to drop front body mount down to even with top of transmission case and use slightly longer adjustable posts, this should lower COG. Also if front shock towers maybe had a little more shape/material cut out similar to rears would reduce weight and look more scale?

Quote:
Awesome!

Quote:
The printed transmission is much better tolerance wise and being able to print the parts opens a lot of new options such as the radio box with a lid.
Better tolerances is always better, your work looks very tidy! I noticed your sweet radio box lid tab that eliminates two screws, thus reducing weight up top and easing box access.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

good question about the servo, Nate.
i was wondering the same thing but it would have the same problem as me on my ford build... servo would need to be swapped to a "low profile" style (like the stock barrage), or poke it through the hood and put a blower on it?? haha but yeah servo gets in the way of going any lower.

GREAT work going on for this chassis! really wondering if i should sell my barrage chassis and start a CR12 build!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Servo question? I was referring to shortening the front body mount that sticks up above top of steering servo. Shorten/lower this part of chassis and use longer body posts, lower COG, less weight and more body versatility.

Speaking of servos though, Spektrum (and iirc couple other companies) make nice quality shorter (less stack height) servos.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #73
Rock Stacker

[QUOTE=TxrcNewbie;5944576]
Quote:
Thank you! I started working on a winch bumper just to see how it would look. It will need to be changed slightly I’m sure once I get the final winch dimensions.

What is the possibility i can get you to email me these in a CAD file or even just the prints? Would love to have our machinist make these for me! lol
I actually machine these bumpers myself and it is not in a CAD file but one specific to my CNC machine. If you'd like one please let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Looks great, only thing might be to drop front body mount down to even with top of transmission case and use slightly longer adjustable posts, this should lower COG. Also if front shock towers maybe had a little more shape/material cut out similar to rears would reduce weight and look more scale?

Awesome!

Better tolerances is always better, your work looks very tidy! I noticed your sweet radio box lid tab that eliminates two screws, thus reducing weight up top and easing box access.

Thanks for the feedback! The chassis has changed a lot since the last update so I'll be posting from my phone a little later with more photos. The radio box is working out well for me as the lid fits very tightly and should keep a lot of the dirt and water out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
GREAT work going on for this chassis! really wondering if i should sell my barrage chassis and start a CR12 build!
Thank you! I am building a barrage on this chassis as well right now for Highway 1 RC if you know them from YouTube. I would highly recommend a CR12 to anyone!
Old 07-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #74
Rock Stacker

Since you have last seen the truck a lot has happened so I’ll try to make sure it all gets covered. First I printed a beadlock wheel from PETG with machined aluminum rings as a proof of concept for myself to see what it really possible with the tools I have. It is of course 8 lug since there doesn’t seem to be a single 8 lug option out there.

As you can tell by the tire size and stance some cutting absolutely had to happen. I swapped some barrage shocks onto this truck since they’re a bit taller and have stiffer springs. They seemed to be about perfect for what I need.

To cut the body lines I simply used a dremel to shave away at the body until the tires didn’t rub at all throughout the suspension and steering cycle. Then I heated the plastic with a lighter around the edges of the fender and pushed the plastic in a fender sort of shape so that the fenders will have more of a flare to them. I tried to make a continuation of the stock fenders and personally I like how it turned out.

I decided to get a little creative in the CAD software of this bumper. Basically everything is designed to fit together and amazing, it did. I’ll definitely be utilizing this style of design on more of my parts in the future. Brazing all the the pieces together was very easy and enjoyable for me.

I got a little more creative with the rear bumper wrapping around the body, it worked well but I’m still not completely sold on it. It was make from 1/8” plate and 3/16” aluminum rod. I decided to make the sliders full length for this truck since I planned to use it in mild competitions and it is made from 1/8” plate and 1/4” aluminum rod.

Here you can see my electronics setup. I ran a 5000mah 2s lipo with a tekin 35t and esc combo. The servo is Hightech but I don’t know the exact model. I chose to use a TF2 style electronics tray since that was what I found to work best. My 540 transmission uses RC4WD Hammer transfer case internals and a planetary gear reduction unit (3:1) from xtra speed.

The front servo mount is printed with a knock out plate where a Servo winch will go since I know that not everyone will chose to run one. A good wack and cleaning up the edges with a knife will open the mount right up.

I mounted the winch with the spool to the rear otherwise it interferes with the steering link. Since it was barely hitting the track bar I took it upon myself to build a bent one. To make the 2.5mm threaded ends I had to use 2.5mm hardware and cut the ends off. When I get more filament for my 3D printer I’m going to adjust the mount so the servo winch will sir further forward than the servo and hopefully there will be zero interference. I didn’t completely finish the install yet but I plan to wire it to a stock CR12 esc.

Here are the rest of the pictures I have of the truck:

Here is the CR12 next to a BRX01 for size reference.

Also I think I will call the chassis the “Terramight chassis”. Just looking for something original at this point. Uses terrain and mighty as in the “mighty truck” class that this truck will get run in.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:41 PM   #75

Some great work there, both in design and fabrication. The truck looks great and no doubt functions considerably better too. Think I'll look at the Barrage shock options on mine, do you happen to know the eye to eye measurement?
rustymidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #76
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymidget View Post
Some great work there, both in design and fabrication. The truck looks great and no doubt functions considerably better too. Think I'll look at the Barrage shock options on mine, do you happen to know the eye to eye measurement?

Thanks a lot! I opted to use the CR12 shock ends on the barrage shocks and eye to eye on my shocks setup like that is about 80mm or 3.16”. It also helps that the barrage shocks are definitely a bit stiffer for a heavier truck.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:21 PM   #77
Rock Stacker

After my last few testing runs with the transmission I created from RC4WD hammer transfer case gears and the planetary gear box I was pretty disappointed with the amount of torque it had and how it was working out for me overall. I decided it was time to figure out how to fit an AX10 Transmission in the truck since either way it’s about $50. I started with a 3D printed skid plate just fitting the transmission since I knew off the bat the Axail motor mount wasn’t going to work for me since the inside width of my chassis is only 2.12”.

From this point I took some inspiration from the RC4WD TF2 and it’s motor mount. I did a very similar design which I am very happy with. There is no trouble with adjusting the pinion mesh or even the driveshaft set screws which are placed very tightly in with the battery tray and motor mount.

It is also easy to tighten the slipper clutch if need be. The motor position in the truck is at or around the height of the battery and I made sure to keep it low in the truck so that there will be more room for interiors and better performance. After testing with the new transmission I fell back in love with the build. Before this point the truck was a pain to drive even after trying many different motors. I also bent the shaft coming out of my planetary box so getting rid of it helped me gain some confidence that I was building a more durable truck. I can’t wait to get some more driving time in on this truck with each time I drive it. At this point I believe it is one of my best performing vehicles because of the weight balance. I’ll make sure to get a running video done soon. I decided this truck deserved a special touch and this is what i had in mind:

Custom machined wheels is correct! These are a 3 piece beadlock design with an internal ring like is used in RC4WD wagon wheels.

They’re truly some of the nicest pieces I have made to date and they really set the truck off from others. Here’s a few last pictures of the truck:

Thanks for checking out the build, any comments, questions, or bits of advice are always appreciated!

Last edited by EXTREME RC 4X4; 07-30-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:52 PM   #78
Rock Stacker

Here’s a little test footage:
https://youtu.be/b7jebmvUdLQ

Old 09-11-2019, 09:19 PM   #79

I love the Bull bar you made for cr12, can i purchase?
dosstec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #80
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosstec View Post
I love the Bull bar you made for cr12, can i purchase?

Thank you! My website is:
www.extremerc4x4.com

It is available on there.

Team Associated CR12 Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW 1/12 Team Associated CR12 Ford F-150 RTR RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-28-2018 12:10 PM
Team Associated CR12 Trail Series cul8tr General Crawlers 9 05-24-2018 06:25 PM
Team Associated CR12??? mjderstine Scale Comp Rules 3 05-22-2018 09:06 AM
⚡OPEN FOR PRE-ORDER!⚡ NEW 1/12 Team Associated CR12 Ford F-150 RTR! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 05-21-2018 10:17 AM
New Team Associated CR12 Ford F-150 Flareside Crawler tuanies General Scale Talk 5 05-19-2018 10:57 AM