Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Team Associated CR12 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2018, 05:13 AM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Team Associated CR12 Build

It has been a while since my last update, but I’ve finally got some new stuff to show off!

The extra holes in the rear bumper mounting posts are for attaching a hitch if the need arises. Both bumpers are 1/4” 6061 aluminum using about the same profile as the stock ones just thinner. Within the next couple weeks I believe I’ll be making a winch bumper for this truck for someone in Germany and I’ll try to post pictures of that as well. Let me know what you think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EXTREME RC 4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2018, 05:31 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

That looks really good.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:17 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
That looks really good.

Thank you! I started working on a winch bumper just to see how it would look. It will need to be changed slightly I’m sure once I get the final winch dimensions.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I like these little trucks - body looks fantastic right out of the box. The bumper looks great!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:49 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I like these little trucks - body looks fantastic right out of the box. The bumper looks great!

Me too! Thank you! I wish I could have this body with clear windows and a drop bed. It would make it look much more scale.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Very sweet little scale truck and I like what you're doing with it!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Very sweet little scale truck and I like what you're doing with it!

Thank you!

Here’s another customer part I got finished up. Just working on finishing up the bull bar for this bumper. It uses a regular 1/10 scale winch and the bumper is about 3/8” thick. I’m considering also making a rear bumper that is thicker and would have a step where you see the license plate on most trucks.

Thanks for looking!
Old 10-22-2018, 05:19 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

And now for possibly to coolest piece yet.... a roll bar! The base is CNC machined 1/8” aluminum plate and the tube is 1/4” aluminum rod. I wasn’t sure if I was going to be fighting the tubing from melting during the brazing process and the solid rod is much easier to bend. Not the best brazing joints in the world but I’m sure they work!

I’m definitely going to have to try making some rock sliders with the same general construction. Thanks for looking!

Old 10-22-2018, 06:10 AM   #29
RCC Addict

That looks awesome!!!!!! Great job!

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
That looks awesome!!!!!! Great job!

Thank you! It’s going to turn out to be an awesome looking truck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2018, 05:37 AM   #31
Rock Stacker

Started on some side steps last night. Just need to cut out some plates to bolt to the frame and then braze them together. A little closer to the truck than I’d like but if they are too close when I’m finished I’ll just make another set.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:13 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Your doin one heck of a job with that truck. Told my wife i wantd one lol, just because it almost matches my 1:1 truck. Wish i had the talent u got for makin all the extras u put on that lil truck. Keep up the great work!

indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:01 AM   #33

Looks really good!

I think this rig would really benefit from nice, aluminum wheels and scale tires. Are they 1.55 or 1.9 wheels on it now?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Looks really good!

I think this rig would really benefit from nice, aluminum wheels and scale tires. Are they 1.55 or 1.9 wheels on it now?

Agreed! Looked like 1.9s, but looked it up and specs say 1.55. Some nice metal beadlocks would add to the looks and capability.

https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_...d_F150_Pickup/
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #35
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Your doin one heck of a job with that truck. Told my wife i wantd one lol, just because it almost matches my 1:1 truck. Wish i had the talent u got for makin all the extras u put on that lil truck. Keep up the great work!

Thank you very much! It’s a lot of work but the truck is really starting to come together! You should get one of these trucks, tons of fun for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Looks really good!

The wheels are 1.55”. They look bigger than they are because the truck is so small. I’d love to get some aluminum rims but honestly I love the narrow tire width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Agreed! Looked like 1.9s, but looked it up and specs say 1.55. Some nice metal beadlocks would add to the looks and capability.

https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_...d_F150_Pickup/

Aluminum rims would definitely help from a weight stand point. My dads been bugging me to machine some of my own but I think it would be a lot of machining time. Might be worth it though!

Old 10-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

Quick video overview of some of the parts I’ve made:
https://youtu.be/pCHGW4uYVEM

Old 10-25-2018, 04:19 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME RC 4X4 View Post
Thank you very much! It’s a lot of work but the truck is really starting to come together! You should get one of these trucks, tons of fun for the money.

The wheels are 1.55”. They look bigger than they are because the truck is so small. I’d love to get some aluminum rims but honestly I love the narrow tire width.

Aluminum rims would definitely help from a weight stand point. My dads been bugging me to machine some of my own but I think it would be a lot of machining time. Might be worth it though!

If I had the ability to mill some wheels I’d be all over it. I think some basic Mickey T. Classic II looking wheels with some weight would go well with that truck.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:05 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
If I had the ability to mill some wheels I’d be all over it. I think some basic Mickey T. Classic II looking wheels with some weight would go well with that truck.

It would be a fun project just a lot of time I think. Maybe if I get some time over my next vacation I’ll look into it.

Spending some time practicing my brazing skills had really paid off. Came out to be some of the cleanest joints I’ve ever done. Just like the roll bar I used an 1/8” machined aluminum base plate and 1/4” rod to make the side step.

Only this I saw that didn’t come out as well as i hoped was the slight bend in the 1/8” plate. I think this happened because it was bent slightly in the clamp and once heated it never went back straight. Not a big deal as it does sit pretty flush to the frame. I may try and make another that sits further away from the truck to look more like a step than a rock slider but I’m sure it could do be things well! Overall I’m really happy with them, definitely strong enough (the frame bends before the side steps). A great improvement over stock on my opinion. Thanks for checking out the build!

Old 01-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #39
Rock Stacker

It’s been a while since my last update but I will try my best to show everything that has changed. Firstly I had started to compete with this truck in class 1. It’s been a lot of fun on the indoor course and it’s major limitations seemed to be differential clearance, transmission clearance, and not having good enough steering.
Here’s a rear bumper I made up quick just to have a look at the new design. Personally I think I prefer the first one better.

And since we had snow for around a week or so the stock tires really weren’t cutting it. Adding snow chains on just the front tires made a huge difference and it’s pretty fun to drive in the snow!

This is my new high clearance transmission. Really helps with the ground clearance and uses the factory gears. I’m really happy with it and the short wheelbase of the CR12 means that this truck hardly gets high centered even on stock tires now.

My new transmission doesn’t work with the factory electronics plate or the one I had been using so I also did some work to fix that.
Servo mount plate
LCG battery tray

Rear electronics tray
Oops, ended up with a second one

That will be a separate build of its own.

In order to improve the steering I installed a savox servo. Much stronger but I lost a lot of steering throw when I used a regular servo horn. The servo saver one the CR12 is so long that you almost need an arm that long to get full travel. Although the new servo helped a lot I still needed more steering. I felt like the servo saver was handicapping the servo and so I drilled a small hole under the piece that attaches to the servo and to stop the parts from rotating together I installed a small grub screw. This way if I ever want to unlock it I can simply remove the screw and it will be all set. Now the truck steers full lock both directions. Barely touching both steering locks on the axle. My next upgrade for the steering might be adding a Panhard bar, I don’t have an issue with bump steer however the steering angle changes as the suspension cycles.

To help aid with front differential clearance I installed 1.55 Rc4wd mud thrasher tires. They look big on the body and it seems like the truck overall has lost a lot of its torque. That’s an issue I’ll have to investigate another day. Thanks for looking!

Old 01-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Hey, Ethan! You're doing some beautiful machine-work! My buddy, Travis has been talking to you ( IG?) and we're both excited to soon have some of your work on our cr12's. Will continue to follow along... really well thought-out and executed mods!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Team Associated CR12 Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW 1/12 Team Associated CR12 Ford F-150 RTR RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-28-2018 12:10 PM
Team Associated CR12 Trail Series cul8tr General Crawlers 9 05-24-2018 06:25 PM
Team Associated CR12??? mjderstine Scale Comp Rules 3 05-22-2018 09:06 AM
⚡OPEN FOR PRE-ORDER!⚡ NEW 1/12 Team Associated CR12 Ford F-150 RTR! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 05-21-2018 10:17 AM
New Team Associated CR12 Ford F-150 Flareside Crawler tuanies General Scale Talk 5 05-19-2018 10:57 AM