Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Coming soon RC4WD desert runner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2018, 09:56 AM   #81

Default Re: Coming soon RC4WD desert runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
yeah its made by JD Models but distribution is from RC4WD. not hard to figure out. (that said will there be biased reviews? maybe...)
and 4 wheel independent? why?! what raptors have you seen with 4 wheel indp.? i could understand solid axle front conversion like some tacomas have done. but if you want... i mean just get a slash? Jato i agree with you on a lot of things but this one really threw me off.
Nothing hard to figure out. To answer your question - yes. There are always biased reviews.

You are assuming people will keep the Raptor body. Why? I think it's the first thing that will go on a lot of ultra scale builds. So outside of the Raptor there are lots of vehicles with 4 wheel independent suspension.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

we still don't know if we can bolt aftermarket wheels on there?
sorry i don't have speakers at work to hear if he addresses that. Thanks for the link though!

*jato i still don't get why somebody would get this chassis just to make it fully independent. Raptor or otherwise, is there a subculture in RC i don't know about that takes solid axle rigs and makes them fully independent? i have never seen it done so the whole idea is very foreign to me.
not trying to argue or ruffle feathers, i just really don't understand.

Last edited by Shinchu; 11-05-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #83

Quote:
*jato i still don't get why somebody would get this chassis just to make it fully independent. Raptor or otherwise, is there a subculture in RC i don't know about that takes solid axle rigs and makes them fully independent? i have never seen it done so the whole idea is very foreign to me.
not trying to argue or ruffle feathers, i just really don't understand.
I personally wouldn't do it either, but I think somebody will build a fully independent suspension rig at some point. Have you ever ventured over to Scale Builder's Guild? Those guys scratch build bodies and I would guess at least one of those guys would love a full independent scale rig. Remember, not everybody crawls up rocks. There are plenty of guys that like do scale trail runs on mild terrain. As just one example of a potential build, at least some of the new Land Rovers have both front and rear independent suspension.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Default Coming soon RC4WD desert runner

Yes you can bolt other wheels on. The “hub” is just a a fancy looking hex hub with 6 scale mount screws. I am impatiently waiting at my house now for the fedex driver.

Picture from Stonerockers.

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

ok yeah that's what i was hoping it was. now with any luck that lug pattern... i don't have enough beadlocks that are this style to know for sure but hopefully the pattern is a sort of "standard" so we could potentially bolt, say, an RC4WD steel wagon wheel straight to this hub, skipping the included hub that came with the wheel.
closest standard i can think of for lug patterns is "SLW".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I personally wouldn't do it either, but I think somebody will build a fully independent suspension rig at some point. Have you ever ventured over to Scale Builder's Guild? Those guys scratch build bodies and I would guess at least one of those guys would love a full independent scale rig. Remember, not everybody crawls up rocks. There are plenty of guys that like do scale trail runs on mild terrain. As just one example of a potential build, at least some of the new Land Rovers have both front and rear independent suspension.
totally get that. so far i really only have a scale trail rig. my ascender was, up until recently, on some REALLY tiny tires and i love the scale aspect of things. that doesn't stop me from trying to conquer some obstacles though! (really wish i had a gopro at proline last year)
that's what the appeal is to this rig for me. i totally get it and yes im actually registered on SBG under the same name.
as for 4wI (if i type "independent" one more time... DOH!) im starting to get it too. new grand Cherokees. Humvee... i cant think of anything else off the top of my head but yeah there are enough for the scale guys to nerd out with a chassis that would cater to that market.
thanks for adding ingredients to that marinade.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Scale Builders Guild (Youtube channel) will be doing a live unboxing at 5:00 on Wednesday night. I know exiting right but I'd be interested to see it and hear his thoughts on it.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

actually yes... yes im VERY excited to see that!
Casey you're late to the party lol imthatguy is... THAT guy lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Cool, so they put their name on the box. It's still made by JD Model.

I'll do a live unboxing on Wednesday.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Bolt pattern on Hero truck is RC4WD’s. Which is almost identical to SLW, just hole size difference.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

well... that's GREAT news!!!

not for my wallet, but... yeah!
Old 11-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
actually yes... yes im VERY excited to see that!
Casey you're late to the party lol imthatguy is... THAT guy lol
Oops I just scrolled to the last few post and didn't look back too far, missed that post.

And I am exited to see more details on this truck but I guess the 'Unboxing' title turns me off, how about an uncartoning or an unfurling?
Old 11-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Oops I just scrolled to the last few post and didn't look back too far, missed that post.

And I am exited to see more details on this truck but I guess the 'Unboxing' title turns me off, how about an uncartoning or an unfurling?
I have to get it out of the box somehow.

Let's call it a subtle box mangling.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Do it Barnum and Bailey style.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:29 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Love this truck so far. It’s a functioning static model that happens to be R/C.
It doesn’t feel “cheap” as folks have alluded to on the internets.
Plastic is good quality. Body and chassis/suspension parts.
The way the body mounts, you can do a body lift like 1:1’s. Haha.
Rear leafs are ultra smooth in cycling for their “shortish” length. I have a video up on the front wheel setup on my IG account. shaneszczerba
Hope to shoot some more video for my Youtube account but there are way better folks for that than me.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:11 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Old 11-06-2018, 07:43 AM   #95

Pretty cool truck. It looks better and more Raptor-like with the larger tires that you installed. The stockers aren't large enough IMO. Highly doubt that it is anything that I'd ever buy, but I see why others would like it. A scale lift would be cool!

Looking at the photos I always thought the blue thing was the motor, but now I see it's a GRU, correct? Odd that it's outlandish blue! The scaleness of the drivetrain really went down hill when they got to the motor and transmission... It's like they went all out scale with everything and then gave up when they got to those two components.

How's the compound of the tires?

I haven't seen many people complain that the plastics are cheap as not many people even have it in their hands. But scale nerds bashed the Cross RC Demon and other RCs for having plastic parts so I think that's what's happening with this truck. The funny thing is that some of the same people that bashed plastic vehicles are giving this one a pass.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Are those tires on the red wheels the 1.9 Trail Blade X/Ts?

Looks like a tire around 3.75 inches would be the sweet spot then.

Last edited by svt923; 11-06-2018 at 08:05 AM.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #97
I wanna be Dave

okay...

I'm literally resisting BACKFLIPS and CARTWHEELS out of my cubicle at work right now.

this thing is AWESOME!!!!!!
and the pics strapped to the trailer absolutely sold me on this. Thank you Shane!!!
body lift. better wheel/tire combo. light kit (incl bars). eventually a scale trans/3D printed motor cover seem like the biz.

SHINCHU IS ALL IN.

and yes jato i pointed out... maybe it was the other thread but i pointed out the planetary gear set in the truck vs the separate pic of a scale drivetrain. my suspicion is maybe they will release that later on as an upgrade or option. kinda like how the box has check marks available for red white blue or black body, but we have yet to see them in any other colors.
maybe they are waiting to see how the initial batch sells.

Last edited by Shinchu; 11-06-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #98
RCC Addict

For one, thanks for sharing the pics.... 2 i can see it lowered(5th pic with the tire close to the fender)...3 3d printed grills(nice to know that the grill can be detached) . Great pics.
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Slammed on 3or4s with some drift tires.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:42 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

RC Everyday just posted up a video going over the Desert Runner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rxo...41553711043782

Coming soon RC4WD desert runner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coming SOON!! NEW Traxxas Unlimited Desert Racer Accessories. RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 07-02-2018 10:28 AM
Ballistic17's Wraith Build (Desert Runner) Ballistic17 Axial Wraith 46 06-09-2016 02:15 PM
Hybrid (Desert runner/Street truck/Crawler) Clod 4x4boy 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 09-06-2014 10:57 PM