Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: New SSD Pro Scale 90mm Shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #41

Default Re: New SSD Pro Scale 90mm Shocks

Thanks. I didn't try that, probably should have. Appreciate the pointer. Thanks.
AxRub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2019, 09:18 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Hi,

I need a pair of 90mm shock, AND a pair of 80mm shocks for a car.

So, you know my question ?
Will you make a 80mm version of these shocks soon ?
CyberFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:50 PM   #43
Pebble Pounder

I am planning to buy a set of these. Has anyone found a reason not to purchase these? I noticed a 1 star review on Amain, not sure if I should take it seriously.
ChronicCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:21 PM   #44
SSD
RCC Addict

Well there is always one or two people that have issues with any product for whatever reason. All I can say is the vast majority of customers are happy with them.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:29 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

sounds like a competitor got on there to do some guerilla warfare lol
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
Pistons are 7.5mm OD.
It's easy to tune the pistons with a rotary tool (dremel) and small drill bit. That's why we opted for less holes as you can add them yourself.
Nice! I see the travel is only 24mm. Anything near the stock SCX10 shocks with 29mm travel in the works?
ppcsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:38 AM   #47
SSD
RCC Addict

We now have soft springs for these:
Soft Springs for Pro Scale 90mm Shocks
Old 09-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #48
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Funny, the SCX10ii SSD hardened ring and pinion also has a one-star Amain rating, from a guy claiming he couldn't get them to mesh no matter how he shimmed. I ordered two sets anyway. Installation was plug n play, no shims, perfection. So, I don't know what's going on. Only thing I could do was leave a good review.
Thanks

Some people like to blame the parts. For example we make two different versions of our bumpers, frame mount for Axial frame and post mount for all chassis use. Sometimes people buy the wrong one and say the bumper sticks out too far. If they spenta few minutes doing research and looking at photos they would buy the correct one. That's just the way it goes these days...
Old 10-26-2019, 01:21 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

Just got a set of these, they look nice! What oil weight is recommended? I was going to use the 30wt that came with my raw builders kit stock plastic shocks.

Last edited by twentyniner; 10-26-2019 at 01:28 PM.
twentyniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:35 AM   #50

I just bought these and am having a problem. This is my first time dealing with no bladder shocks. When I put oil first time, like 4mm from top (1/6 of inch), reboud was crazy, like almost all the way. I spilled oil drop by drop untill rebound was better but I'm affraid shock is definitely not full of oil any more. I know it's not a problem on the trail rig but am interested how do you fill it full and properly?
zmindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:53 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmindless View Post
I just bought these and am having a problem. This is my first time dealing with no bladder shocks. When I put oil first time, like 4mm from top (1/6 of inch), reboud was crazy, like almost all the way. I spilled oil drop by drop untill rebound was better but I'm affraid shock is definitely not full of oil any more. I know it's not a problem on the trail rig but am interested how do you fill it full and properly?
They are a very good shock, but you need to work at bleeding them through the threads in the cap.
I put in my oil, screw the cap on a full turn ( just enough so the cap is holding to the body) and compress the shock. With it fully compressed and upright between my thumb and pointer finger and with my other hand I start turning the shock body, while keeping the cap from turning. Your will see the oil coming out from the cap. I check for rebound and repeat above. After doing this several times the rebound lessens. Now if the shock won't fully compress I remove the cap and use a cotton swab to remove oil a little at a time. Like I said it takes a little work. If you remove oil a drop at a time you will likely have more air than you want in the shock.
Hope that all makes sense.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 12-02-2019 at 11:56 AM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:04 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Also keep in mind these are aeration shocks so air will be present. If you try to build it with no air you will have issues with it hydrolocking (not being able to compressing it all the way).
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:30 PM   #53

Does anybody know what the actually spring rate numbers are for all the ssd spring offerings?
Neezy916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:24 AM   #54
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
That's why I did it this way. Our balls are not sloppy when installed.
Because no one else has... "that's what she said". lol
but you are correct. Metal balls in aluminum swivel caps are not only loose and sloppy, but they also wear out the cap and ball faster because of that slop.

Any plans on longer shocks? 110s? 120s 105s? Etc?

Looking for a bit more than 90mm travel as I'll be drooping one of the SSD builds I'm doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
They are a very good shock, but you need to work at bleeding them through the threads in the cap.
I put in my oil, screw the cap on a full turn ( just enough so the cap is holding to the body) and compress the shock. With it fully compressed and upright between my thumb and pointer finger and with my other hand I start turning the shock body, while keeping the cap from turning. Your will see the oil coming out from the cap. I check for rebound and repeat above. After doing this several times the rebound lessens. Now if the shock won't fully compress I remove the cap and use a cotton swab to remove oil a little at a time. Like I said it takes a little work. If you remove oil a drop at a time you will likely have more air than you want in the shock.
Hope that all makes sense.
Ernie
I just built both sets for my builds. both ended up having a little air in them. I have usually been able to bleed out all the air and still be happy with the rebound on most shocks, but these needed a little air to offset displacement under full compression without hydrolocking.

Otherwise they worked pretty good. A bleeder set screw on the top area of the cap would be great for bleeding them.

Maybe one of the mods I make on the one build.

Last edited by Timmahh; 06-07-2020 at 12:34 AM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:38 PM   #55

What oil weight for a VS4-10Pro?
Peluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:24 PM   #56

These shocks are great I have a my 10.2. They are smooth they are easy to bleed. They don’t leak I had one leak but it was my fault. And to top it off ssd customer service is fantastic. Plan on picking up some for my honcho and my sons deadbolt. definitely a good option if your looking for a decent set of shocks.
IowacrawlersAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:13 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Anyone have the spring length? I included a couple pairs of the soft springs in my RPP order in hopes they're shorter than the RTR Capra springs...
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 03:57 PM   #58
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
Anyone have the spring length? I included a couple pairs of the soft springs in my RPP order in hopes they're shorter than the RTR Capra springs...
my 90mm kit shocks have 60mm springs. (may be 59. they are on a rig, but pretty sure they're 60mm).
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 06:03 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
my 90mm kit shocks have 60mm springs. (may be 59. they are on a rig, but pretty sure they're 60mm).
Sweet, that's just about the length I was hoping for. TY!
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote

New SSD Pro Scale 90mm Shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Restocked - Pro-Line Racing PowerStroke Scaler Shocks (90mm-95mm)! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 01-18-2018 11:09 AM