Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Scale Stubby Bob?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #1

Default Scale Stubby Bob?

So I have decided to build a crawler, and I was lost for a finished look. Until I was watching an old episode of Roadkill and saw stubby bob! I started looking for details and reference materials and this is what I've found.

Stubby Bob is a 1950 Ford F-6 dually with a wheel base of 104 inches and is on 20in wheels with 8.25x20s on them(38.5 inch diameter). On a 1/10 scale that means 10.4 inch wheel base, and (new to the hobby so it's 2 inch wheels but do they make those?) either 1.9 or 2.2 wheels.

So there are the basics of the idea. I was planning to use the axial builders kit(for cost reasons) to build from and that has a min wheel base of 11.4 inches. I would be building a custom body for it as they don't make any Ford F-6 bodies that I've been able to find.

I guess what I am looking for is some guidance into accomplishing my goal. I used a reference picture of the original and compared to some tires/wheels I have from an ECX AMP MT which are 2.2s. It puts the wheelbase at 10 inches, which is even shorter and more of an issue.

So questions:
Do they make a bigger wheel/tire than 2.2 that I could use to stretch the scale up and fit the 11.4in wheelbase of the axial builders kit?
Could bigger tires make up for the size instead of a bigger wheel?
Would larger tires/wheels be an issue for the 1/10 kit?
If I want to roll around with other scale rigs, should I shoot for the same scale as them or just the scale appearance?
Does looking like a scale version of a modified truck count as a scale rig even(I did look at the section that laid out the guidelines for scale rigs, so I think I know this answer)?
Is a dually crawler a bad idea?
Has this been done before and I'm not seeing it in my searches?
Would making the rear axle leaf spring mounted be bad?
Encouragement/advice for this build?

I have a limited budget(stay at home dad) so I can only spend/save $100 a month(I get an allowance to use at my discression) to invest in this build, so it will be slow unless I get to spend tax-return money on it to speed the build process.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by BisforBadger; 01-16-2019 at 10:41 AM.
BisforBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Scale Stubby Bob?

Some responses below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BisforBadger View Post
So questions:
Do they make a bigger wheel/tire than 2.2 that I could use to stretch the scale up and fit the 11.4in wheelbase of the axial builders kit?
An 11.4 inch wheelbase would put it about 1/9 scale which is more in line with the size of most other trucks (most everything called 1/10 scale is really more like 1/8 to 1/9 scale). 2.2s would be a near perfect size for 20 inch wheels in 1/9 scale.
Could bigger tires make up for the size instead of a bigger wheel?
Sure, lots of people compromise on wheel size because tires aren't always available in the size you want and very rarely is it noticeable.
Would larger tires/wheels be an issue for the 1/10 kit?
Possibly but the tire sizes you would be looking at to replicate 38' tires on 20 inch rims would be decidedly smaller than what is on most SCX10s
If I want to roll around with other scale rigs, should I shoot for the same scale as them or just the scale appearance?
Again, most truck are actually larger than 1/10 scale so bigger would fit in better
Does looking like a scale version of a modified truck count as a scale rig even(I did look at the section that laid out the guidelines for scale rigs, so I think I know this answer)?
If it exists or is even vaguely inspired by a real truck, it counts as a scale truck.
Is a dually crawler a bad idea?
Depends on your expectations, probably not great for some serious crawling but the SCX10II chassis is pretty capable.
Has this been done before and I'm not seeing it in my searches?
Never seen this exact truck done before
Would making the rear axle leaf spring mounted be bad?
Nope, lots of leaf spring converted Axial builds have been done
Encouragement/advice for this build?
Check out Scale Builders Guild as well for some scratch building inspiration. This was made out of a Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin body and a lot of modification:

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #3

You have been most helpful! Thank you.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

This is a great idea for a build. If you decide to go for a Stubby Bob inspired theme instead of an exact scale replica, the King Kong CA10 cab might be worth a look.

TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
This is a great idea for a build. If you decide to go for a Stubby Bob inspired theme instead of an exact scale replica, the King Kong CA10 cab might be worth a look.

It'll be a scale version. If I make it too easy I'll finish it faster and go back to spending money on more RC instead of other hobbies.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It'll be a scale version. If I make it too easy I'll finish it faster and go back to spending money on more RC instead of other hobbies.

The fact you think RC isn't a black hole money pit obsession is cute Once you're in, its over
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
The fact you think RC isn't a black hole money pit obsession is cute Once you're in, its over
I'd like to get a 3d printer into the mix at some point, need to figure that in between builds. Hard, slow builds with lots of labor will make time for that.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
Rc is a very fun hobby, i mean addiction lol. Once your in, u cant stop. You can never have enuf trucks. Youll always be thinkin 'i need this for this truck' or 'hey, thats a cool lookin piece, thatd look good for that truck'. It never ends my friend. My wife n i came up with an agreement... I buy new truck parts, she gets a new purse, shoes, nails did, or somethin she wants. I agreed n told her if she gets somethin new n i dont for awhile, dont b suprised wen a new truck shows up lol

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

My wife gets cats. We have 7 rescues of various ages, but one female was pregnant so we got 4 more kittens. We try to find homes for them, which is easier than finding homes for toy trucks. We also have 3 dogs. Her mom takes care of her two, and my Shepard mix is terrorized by all these cats. Be careful what deals you make (with the devil)

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk
tcanin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcanin00 View Post
My wife gets cats. We have 7 rescues of various ages, but one female was pregnant so we got 4 more kittens. We try to find homes for them, which is easier than finding homes for toy trucks. We also have 3 dogs. Her mom takes care of her two, and my Shepard mix is terrorized by all these cats. Be careful what deals you make (with the devil)

Happy wife, happy life!

Old 01-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:

Thankfully my wife isnt a cat person, nor am i. But shes been hollarin for a french bulldog... I think that would b a good trade off for a new truck or a new raw build kit...

indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Happy wife, happy life!

Weird, I seem to hear that phrase often.

tcanin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:35 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Thankfully my wife isnt a cat person, nor am i. But shes been hollarin for a french bulldog... I think that would b a good trade off for a new truck or a new raw build kit...

if you haven't looked into french bulldogs, get ready to tab yourself SEVERAL trucks or kits to even things out haha

My wife and two daughters currently have me in deep water fishing for an English Bulldog. I hate the damn things. They have more health problems than ethiopians. Damn things only exist because people breed them, theyre too lazy to do it on their own and can't birth the pups naturally cause of their big damn heads. My wife has this breeder on favorite menu and I'm constantly being shown pictures of this 5500 dollar tricolor. I've held out for now. We'll see how long I can continue. No doubt in my mind my Cane Corso will terrorize the damn thing into an early grave anyhow.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:56 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Weird, I seem to hear that phrase often.

I never knew how true it was, until I got married.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:19 PM   #15

So, seeing as I haven't been given any reason not to go forward. Does anyone have recommendations for dually kits and leaf spring kits? I have found some of both, but would appreciate if anyone had first hand experience with particularly good ones they'd be willing to share.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:55 PM   #16

Was any progress ever made on this? I'm about to start a slow build of Stubby Bob using the King Kong kit myself.
therigliveson is offline   Reply With Quote

Scale Stubby Bob? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gearing help using a HH stubby Johan_Eriksson Newbie General 2 05-26-2017 12:17 AM