Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Getting into the scale game, looking for opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Getting into the scale game, looking for opinions

Got back into RC in December after a 10 vacation and the addiction is just as strong now and maybe worse now that I am older and have more money to burn. I did a lot of building then and now am looking to get back into it. I currently have a decently upgraded Bomber and TRX4 Sport for my son but want to build something more scale. I am looking for a decent kit to start with. The Vanquish kit is a bit more than I want to spend. I was looking at either the TFL Bronco kit or the Cross/ Demon SG4C. I am looking at those because they come with more upgrades out of the box such as metal axles and such. I am leaning more towards the TFL because of the coilover mounting on the SG4. Looking for opinions on those and if there is anything else I should be looking at. I do plan on making them my own but want a good starting point. I know those 2 kits come mostly assembled as far as axles and drivetrain. Looking for hard body kits, no Lexan.

Thanks for any insight
Brian
Brian5582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Getting into the scale game, looking for opinions

Id be wary of the TFL. While it does come with metal axles unless they are an axial clone you may have a hard time finding upgrades for them. You also talk about wanting a hardbody. The TFL body is a fiberglass design and is unpainted, possibly unfinished. You can also buy it separately for 163 bucks. The Cross is a kit, doesnt come with any electronics but the motor from what I can tell.

What exactly are you not finding scale enough about your trx4? If its just the body itself then do this.

SCX 10 2 builders kit. $200
SSD metal Housings. $60
Hardbody $100-200
Tires+rims $150.
Electronics. $100-300.

Total. $610-910.

Keep in mind if you go with the cross demon your going to end up paying the same amount as you need to supply your own electronics and with the TFL while it does come with everything, and it is "upgraded" I would assume you will have a hard time finding parts should anything break. It looks like the only way to buy their stuff is off banggood. Personally I despise that site, they always send me the wrong stuff. If your cool with it though the TFL could be an ok rig so long as you dont break anything. The fiberglass worries me a bit though. The rig weighs 3.2 kg or about 7 pounds. I could see that fiberglass getting broken pretty easily if it is not thick.
Heroesneverquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:49 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I understand I am going to need electronics and such and am not worried about it. If I was I wouldn’t be looking to spend 5-600 on just the kit. I do have some motors and esc’s around I could throw in but this is going to be a project not a throw it together in a weekend type thing. As for breaking parts if they aren’t clones of another companies axles they are probably close enough that I can piece something together. I have a milling machine, lathe, a couple welders and a shop full of tools. As for the TRX4 while I paid for it I bought it for my son so he would have a 1/10 scale to be able to go out with me. I am only doing mods to it that he wants and or when something breaks. It is also being driven by a 6y/o so I don’t want to put too much money into accessories. If I break something so be it, I have the money and skills to fix it... if he breaks something he isn’t paying for it or fixing it lol.

I was very close on buying a Axial builders kit but I want to run a full interior and the mid mount motor complicates that. Obviously that can be changed but if I am going to put that kind of time into it I might as well scratch build a frame and I just don’t have the time for that at this point. I am looking for a good platform to start with where I can use the frame more or less as it comes. Putting my own spin on it but not having to completely re-engineer it.

Last edited by Brian5582; 02-06-2019 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:22 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

If your priorities are hardbody and a nice full interior, I vote Cross Demon especially if you want to make it a project and put your own spin on the platform. Those are the main reasons I chose it.

Ruining a perfectly good Cross Demon SG4
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:30 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

TooOld, I have read through your thread. Been researching quite a bit over the past couple weeks and you did an amazing job. There is definitely a lot more builds using the Demon. I do like the fact that it is available other places than the TFL. You did move your rear coilovers didn’t you? How was the fit and finish of the parts?

I am probably going to go with the Demon. I am a little nervous buying right from China. I have read a lot of horror stories about the shipping. There are some on EBay but the markup is pretty significant. If I was going to spend $700 I would just pay the extra money for the Vanquish. I suppose I could wait a bit and save some more money but I am looking for a winter project before work gets busy come spring.

Last edited by Brian5582; 02-06-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5582 View Post
TooOld, I have read through your thread. Been researching quite a bit over the past couple weeks and you did an amazing job. There is definitely a lot more builds using the Demon. I do like the fact that it is available other places than the TFL. You did move your rear coilovers didn’t you? How was the fit and finish of the parts?
Thanks! The fit and finish was really nice. I moved the rear shocks a little but they are still similar to the angled stock positioning. I believe Cross offers a kit for those that want to move them into an upright position.

The only possible problem areas I've seen are from people getting broken front CV axles but there are steering stops available that might help prevent it and MIP has an axle kit out now too.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Ok thanks for all the insight. That’s probably the way I am going to go. I did look into the shock mounts some before also but it says something about they only fit the old version, so I am not sure what has changed and if they could be made to work but if not I am sure I can make something. I also saw the mention of using steering stops. If companies like MIP are starting to make parts for it I am probably going to go with the Demon kit. Just about 99% sure.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #8

One thing that should be noted about the TFL is that every single one of those parts is an SCX10 upgrade part, so if you break something, any SCX10 part will replace it. It's also worth mentioning that the exact same chassis and parts are sold via other names like Xtra Speed. You can get that TFL roller via ebay or banggood/alixpress for under $300 without a body.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #9

Don't buy Cross-RC from China. Buy it directly from a US distributor that is owned by a great guy!

https://www.crossrc.us/
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Ya the fact that I can get it from someone here in the states is why I am pretty sure that’s the way I am going. Am just too sketched out about buying from Chine. I realize not everyone has issues with that but I have read plenty of horror stories and I don’t have very good luck with stupid stuff like that. The box would probably show up 1.5 months after I order it half crushed, ripped open, and missing half the parts. Then it would take me another 2 months to get a replacement. Just too many variables out of my control. If there was a US distributor of them I would definitely go with the TFL but there isn’t. I was looking at just buying the chassis but can’t find any in stock with front mounted motor and I also like the fact that the kit comes with the body, tires, wheels... not saying I am going to use all of it but at least I will have it to start with.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:28 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Well I am going to order the Demon later on today I am just waiting on an answer to a question. I will say one thing, I with the SG4 kit had an option for full doors. I hate, hate, hate, door bars. I ordered a bunch of styrene just to have so I am probably going to try to make a set of either half or full doors.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:02 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5582 View Post
Ya the fact that I can get it from someone here in the states is why I am pretty sure that’s the way I am going. Am just too sketched out about buying from Chine. I realize not everyone has issues with that but I have read plenty of horror stories and I don’t have very good luck with stupid stuff like that. The box would probably show up 1.5 months after I order it half crushed, ripped open, and missing half the parts. Then it would take me another 2 months to get a replacement. Just too many variables out of my control. If there was a US distributor of them I would definitely...
This is the only reason I don't own anything from CAPO. It's not really relevant to this thread but I'm making it a point to complain about this regularly in the hopes that some US hobby distributor will realize all the money they're missing out on

Regarding your hate for door bars, maybe you could see if the full doors from the Cross SP4 are available separately. It looks like they would drop right in.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I had looked around some and couldn’t find just the doors but then again computers and I do do well together lol. I might only be 35 but I don’t do social media or really computers. They might exist I just couldn’t find them.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Well even well laid plans can go to hell. I decided to try my hand at a ground up build... I always wanted to try to have/ build a DAKAR truck so that’s the direction I am going to go. There are tons of “flat faced” cab over builds so I decided to try to model it after a standard truck. Being of French decent (please no lightly used gun jokes lol) I decided to model it after a Renault Sherpa 5. I ordered a Tamiya Aeromax cab and associated parts. I thought that was the closest looking cab I could find. I know I am going to have to chop it up and I ordered a bunch of styrene. It’s going to be a scale build but not modeled after any single truck as far as the setup of the cargo area. I am still undecided on what I am going to build it off of as far as frame and running equipment. Not sure if I am going to do something like buy a builders kit (Axial or Traxxas) or piece it all together. Obviously I am not going to use the whole kit if I went that way and would sell what I didn’t use but being I am just getting back into the hobby this might be the easier way to go. I am re-learning everything and think there would be a ton of learning curve and returning stuff to try to figure out part compatibility and such. I know I wouldn’t have any problem with the fabrication of the frame and all that good stuff it’s more the compatibility of transmission, T case, driveshafts, axles...

I intend to do a build thread once I gather enough parts to start building something

Getting into the scale game, looking for opinions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maxstone scale opinions Buddles General Scale Talk 35 09-22-2018 04:53 PM
back in the game. need some opinions champ198 Axial Wraith 2 06-11-2015 01:19 PM
Opinions wanted on a scale RTR buy heefageLA General Scale Talk 5 07-25-2012 09:14 PM
Need your opinions on building a scale rig muddeprived Large Scale Rigs 7 04-04-2007 06:06 PM