Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Rock Racer kit suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 06:15 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Rock Racer kit suggestions

What’s up everyone. I currently have a Rock Rey I bought RTR. I’ve done a ton of stuff to it, but it has fizzled out now, and I want a new project. I’d like to stick to the rock racer “king of the hammers” style of trucks good for a mix of bashing and crawling, but I want a kit to build from the ground up. I was looking at the Axial Bomber which I like the looks of so far, but I wanted to hear other suggestions. Idk if yeti even comes in a kit form, but even if it did, itt’s a little too similar to the Rock Rey. Also, I would like to keep the kit price to ~$360 or under. Look forward to input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2019, 07:10 AM   #2

Default Re: Rock Racer kit suggestions

If you want a kit, then the Bomber is pretty much your ONLY choice. The Yeti kit is discontinued, and so is the Rock Rey kit.

I have a Bomber and a Yeti, both kits. The Bomber is much better than the Yeti as a crawler, and the Yeti is much better than the Bomber as a high speed basher type of truck. When I trail the trucks, I tend to prefer the Yeti because it's more stable when you go over tree roots & bumps at higher speeds, but if the trail gets steep or technical, the Bomber wins. Since you already have a Rock Rey, you already have that niche that the Yeti would fill covered. If it's not what you're after, you need to really figure out why. If it's because you want something that can get through tougher terrain, then the Bomber may suit you, but if you buy the Bomber expecting it to be good at anything higher speed, you'll be disappointed.

Another option that may suit you best would be to modify the Rock Rey to make it better at whatever you currently feel it's lacking at. Because the Rock Rey has a center diff, it won't do as well in the rough or technical terrain as it could. Locking that center diff might be the difference for the places where you want to run it. I know my Yeti climbs really well on anything that doesn't require more ground clearance.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I may have worded my post poorly. My Rock Rey is great. It’s not lacking in any area for my preference. I’m just looking for a new project. I had just missed picking up the RR kit when I first got it so ended up with RTR, but I want to do a kit from the ground up now. Thank you for your reply.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Forgot to add my center diff is locked and 1,000,000 wt in the front. Crawls pretty damn good

Old 02-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #5

well, then I guess the Bomber is your best (only) choice.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

That’s disappointing to hear. I may have to decide on another type of build then.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #7

Well, I guess there's the Gmade GOM or whatever their Bomber-wanna-be is. Aside from that and the Bomber, there aren't any more kits out there in this class.

You could always do a Wraith, but there's nothing the Wraith does that the Bomber doesn't do better.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

That Gmade is nice looking. Do you know how parts support and optional parts are? I never see ppl talking about them really.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The GOM was greatly anticipated upon release, but turned out to be a bit too delicate compared to the rest of the market.

There are a few manufacturer-provided aluminum upgrades, but it's best used as a low-speed rig because of the plastics used for the cage not holding up to impacts.

I was quite disappointed with how it all turned out, because it looked for a moment that we had another contender...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

as a current yeti owner, i say: BOMBER. not because axial. because it can go "almost" as fast (just don't turn) but its super-capable of being the swiss army rig. check out Durok's build for an idea of what can be doen with this platform. browneye also has a great "first timer" bomber build.

disclaimer: these builds are NOT easy on the wallet!!! but worth every penny, IMO.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I'm a built wraith fan myself. I found after I built it up it could and would show the bombers up. Of course this is after money and time in a very fun enjoyable build.
Miss this rig and dream of building again someday.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:15 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

What about a twin hammers?
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:55 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

No twin hammers. Too hard to work on from what I’ve seen, and my Losi Rock Rey is already a pain in the ass lol. I actually ended up getting an Axial SCX10ii Raw Builder’s kit. I am using a twin hammers cage though for the U4 look. Not my original plan at all, but parts support is amazing (besides all the back order stuff), it’s perfect for what I wanted in terms of a kit, and I found an Scx10ii U4 build on here that I’m drawing inspiration from. Got it in the mail yesterday and started building.
I already have ~$900+ into this build haha.

Rock Racer kit suggestions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best place to buy the Rock Racer kit? BigBrownBeaver Axial Wraith 29 10-17-2018 12:59 AM
PRICE REDUCTION Losi 1/10 Rock Rey 4WD Rock Racer Kit. RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-28-2018 01:58 PM
rock racer- suggestions wanted! Tenhats Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 10-04-2012 04:23 PM
rock racer kit vito Newbie General 4 12-29-2011 03:20 AM