Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: New Axial UTV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Axial UTV

There's a big-time resurgence in kit or ARTR releases right now...

Traxxas (even the Stampede, of all things!)
Carisma
GMade
Axial
HPI
ECX
Vanquish
RC4WD
MST
Tamiya
Cross-RC
Redcat

In fact we only have 3 brands missing right now, Vaterra, Losi and Associated... And I wouldn't be surprised if Vaterra rejoined the kit scene once they are ready with their follow-up to the Ascender.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #62
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
There's a big-time resurgence in kit or ARTR releases right now...

Traxxas (even the Stampede, of all things!)
Carisma
GMade
Axial
HPI
ECX
Vanquish
RC4WD
MST
Tamiya
Cross-RC
Redcat
Is there really a Stampede kit?
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
Is there really a Stampede kit?
Yep - Stampede Kit. Traxxas starting to release more kits?
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:37 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

I got mine in the mail today.

I liked it because of the fact that it’s small, but still actually “1/10th” scale.

I haven’t had a trail rig for the packed dirt MTB trails I used to run on in a long time...I got bored always just being out there alone. This, however, will be great for me as I can run it on the trails and if I need to carry it back I can just toss it in my backpack.

I also really like the looks. I get that the solid axle isn’t scale at all, but I’m honestly not that huge into the whole “it has to look perfectly like it’s real world counterpart or it’s a piece of crap” scene. As long as it looks cool going down the trail I’m a happy camper.

I’ve already got a couple of 2000mah 2s packs to use with it. The ESC looks the same as the one in my 1/18 ECX Temper, and that works fine with a 2s pack. That said, I’ll probably be putting a different ESC in it so I can run it with drag brake and a cutoff and not worry about a low voltage alarm.

I also ordered an aluminum rear drive shaft to replace the stock one. I’m actually down to only a couple of RCs right now, so I’ll probably upgrade lots of parts on this.

I know it’s not everybody’s cup of tea, but it ticked a lot of boxes for me.

Last edited by Gimpdiggity; 03-06-2019 at 03:42 AM.
Gimpdiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:17 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

A lot of people are looking down on this release because of the original Yeti Jr but the one thing that seems to get lost is the fact it is a really fun truck to drive. Yes, the original had terrible electronic everything (but the motor) and way too much flex in the front end but it brings that "throw a pack in and drive anywhere" type fun that a lot of vehicles are missing.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:13 AM   #66
Quarry Creeper

I ordered a couple of 2200mah 2s packs that seem to have the same dimensions as the included NiMH. I’ll report back if they fit properly after they arrive.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #67
Pebble Pounder

This looks pretty cool, yeah not exactly scale with the rear straight axle but there are also many other RC's with similar issues. I didn't have any experience with the Axial Jr. RCs that came out so I definitely have a more open mind, especially due to the improvements. Honestly I hope this does well and other manufactures follow suit. SxSs are definitely are popular in 1:1 especially with the crawling crowd, I know i'd like to own one. I could easily see myself doing a build with this one at some point. I will have to start looking for used/rollers from people who blow up the electronics.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N5...mob_b_pd_title

These 2s packs fit perfectly in the UTV. You might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere, but I like buying with Prime from Amazon.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:51 AM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Got mine last week and made some changes to match my 1:1

dyed plastic bits and cut some vinyl to change colors

mOOsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Most all SxS are indy front and rear.
Yeppers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmTheTourist View Post
I don't get this thing.. but I also have zero to none contact with any of these big quads so maybe thats why

They should take a look at that IFS project going on in the 1.9 scaler thread
X2, yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
That can't be right in 2019.........

Are they daft.
Lipo capability would make it more desirable for sure.

Quote:
Yes. Nobody does a SAS to a side by side. They most definitely do them to trucks.
Yep.

Quote:
I’ve got a 1st release and it was a POS back then. I’d imagine nothing has changed. All electronics should get ripped out before a battery is ever plugged in. Motor and/or pinion options are slim to none. Meshing the pinion-spur is a crap shoot at best. Hardware is junk at best. Everything is plastic...even the axle shafts.

There’s several threads in the Yeti sub forum for the Jr. Have a look see.
Let's hope it's got quality electronics this time and the drivetrain isn't made of the old Axial rubber/plastic. New leadership more focused on quality fit and finish, so hopefully all the sloppy fitment is gone too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
You'd imagine wrong...Axle shafts and the gears/lockers are aluminum and it has Spektrum electronics now. It SHOULD be a good bit more durable than the first generation version.

I get a little bit of hope out of this release because it shows that Horizon can address weak points and make worthwhile changes to a platform. I hope it takes off and opens the door for a good 1/18 scaler.
Hopefully.

Quote:
I’d be most impressed with a 1/18 Bomber or Wraith. An SCX16 would be a good touch, too.
Heck ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDER PRO View Post
The builder that I am, ( Im probably just really a hack), says Id like to see more sxs bodies. Match these bodies up with a traxxas 1/16 scale chassis and you have your independant suspension sxs. Im not really a traxxas fanboy but, you could have all the traxxas advantages of upgrade support.
Never broke anything on my 1/16 Slash 4x4, but I tried. LaTrax SST only broke one CVD and we were beating them at full throttle up and down a rutted rooty trail in the woods. LaTrax priced nice at $129 and it can fit in my backpack.

Quote:
A fine example of discussion and the reason forums don't suck as much as facebook.
X2...dangit where ma like button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
If it was $100 I might bite just to try out the new plastics which, I assume, are Losi/Vaterra plastics. At $150 it should be good to go out of the box with reliable electronics and all. It's a mini vehicle after all.
Correct.

Quote:
Sadly, that will never happen. Kits don't sell. People are lazy and they want instant gratification now. RTRs are what keep companies in business.
Yes, but we can hope for more kits. Selling off new unwanted parts is a pita.

Quote:
I always thought it was so they could make money by selling terrible tires, esc's, ect, ect that no one would by if they had a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
I got mine in the mail today.

I liked it because of the fact that it’s small, but still actually “1/10th” scale.

I haven’t had a trail rig for the packed dirt MTB trails I used to run on in a long time...I got bored always just being out there alone. This, however, will be great for me as I can run it on the trails and if I need to carry it back I can just toss it in my backpack.

...As long as it looks cool going down the trail I’m a happy camper.

I’ve already got a couple of 2000mah 2s packs to use with it. The ESC looks the same as the one in my 1/18 ECX Temper, and that works fine with a 2s pack. That said, I’ll probably be putting a different ESC in it so I can run it with drag brake and a cutoff and not worry about a low voltage alarm.

....I know it’s not everybody’s cup of tea, but it ticked a lot of boxes for me.
Coolio, let us know how it does and most importantly, have fun running it!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Guys are the front CVDs or dog bones (I haven’t torn it apart to see which) on these metal or silver plastic? They certainly look and feel like metal to me, but I read that people upgrade the front to metal. Maybe the early Yeti Jr had plastic up there and I’m just reading old posts?
Old 03-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Until you drain the lipo far beyond what's safe because the ESC doesn't have a cutoff feature.
Just run a lipo alarm. They're less than $5 and then you can run lipo in any car. They give you a constant digital readout of your voltage in each cell and combined and they let off an ear piercing alarm when you get to the cutoff voltage. Imo they work better than a built in esc voltage cutoff.

Last edited by Trugg; 03-18-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:58 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trugg View Post
Just run a lipo alarm. They're less than $5 and then you can run lipo in any car. They give you a constant digital readout of your voltage in each cell and combined and they let off an ear piercing alarm when you get to the cutoff voltage. Imo they work better than a built in esc voltage cutoff.

Yup. I have them in a number of my older cars. I don't have any in my newer cars though. You know why? Because the ESCs aren't a 20 year old design.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
Guys are the front CVDs or dog bones (I haven’t torn it apart to see which) on these metal or silver plastic? They certainly look and feel like metal to me, but I read that people upgrade the front to metal. Maybe the early Yeti Jr had plastic up there and I’m just reading old posts?
Metal cvd.
mOOsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:23 AM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Sadly, that will never happen. Kits don't sell. People are lazy and they want instant gratification now. RTRs are what keep companies in business.
I don't get kits often these days because I'm not lazy. I work 7 days a week and have a house to maintain when I'm off the clock. When I have time to do RC stuff, I just want to hit a trail. If I had more time, I'd love to build more kits, but it's just not in the cards at this stage of my life.
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
I don't get kits often these days because I'm not lazy. I work 7 days a week and have a house to maintain when I'm off the clock. When I have time to do RC stuff, I just want to hit a trail. If I had more time, I'd love to build more kits, but it's just not in the cards at this stage of my life.
I hear ya there. I will say I just started a kit build over the winter (snow in the northeast) that helps with the short day sanity. Otherwise I'm with you and want to drive.

We will see if it gets finished, or gets stuck as next winters project.
djc32294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:24 AM   #77
RCC Addict

Cute little thing, isn't it?

Slightly off topic, but it was mentiond so rant on! Personally, I don't get the RTR/Kit thing. Who had a kit for their first, second or third RC rig? Many people simply don't have the tools, patience, skill(s) to adequately assemble a kit version, let alone the time. Aw shucks, I accidently put the shims in the wrong place..... too easy for the product to get a bad rap, "that ______ sucks....." simply because it was assembled incorrectly, so it doesn't perform to expectations. Look at Brand X or Y or Z's product release videos, it makes you want one, right??? The very reason many scratch build go fast guys won't sell a chassis by itself (good TT builders in particular), only to have it not work as intended or as marketed because the shock tune was WAAAAY wrong. Then we have the RTR; lets put the crap parts in it so the end user needs to upgrade everything. Really? How's about this: Kit version and the RTR are the same thing (good/same parts), the ONLY DIFFERENCE is you get to assemble one and pick your electronics (cheaper to end user)while the RTR would come with GOOD electronics, priced accordingly. Win/win, getting what you paid for. Nobody is pissed because they have to replace the diff(s), shocks, tires, plastic this, plastic that....... AND the crap electronics that came in the thing so it can really be RTR like they thought they were buying in the first place. Upgrades? Look at TLR or AE and how its done there. Off rant now.

Everyone seems to like/want small "toys". This SXS, small Bomber, Wraith... I'd rather see larger scale ones. XL or XXL anyone?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote

New Axial UTV - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UTV/SxS - Looking at getting one. 2JSC Chit Chat 14 09-21-2016 06:38 AM
Crazy UTV video bvrc Chit Chat 9 11-10-2014 07:38 PM
looks fun utv joesbruiser Chit Chat 13 12-24-2008 02:27 PM