Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Darn you AMain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Darn you AMain.

I was not planning on buying a VS4-10 Black but you and your darn discounts made it way to easy. Right at around $200 off with discount code and sale price. Well at least I will have a super scale truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CRAZYACE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #2

Default Re: Darn you AMain.

Congrats! Good price on that kit at under$700.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
Gold Star Baby!

It’s a pleasure of a kit to build, solid deal, too.

Congrats!
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys. Had to order up a 1/16th wrench also for the diff cover bolts. I am watching Harley’s build video so it will be a breeze Thursday when it shows up.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYACE63 View Post
Had to order up a 1/16th wrench also for the diff cover bolts
The mixing of standard and metric hardware gave me bad flashbacks to my 84 Camaro.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
Go Buckeyes!

Congrats on the VS4-10! It is a great price now. It is a really fun build and performs well too. I just wish I they had that same deal when I bought mine!

Looking forward to seeing build pics.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:16 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Congrats on the VS4-10! It is a great price now. It is a really fun build and performs well too. I just wish I they had that same deal when I bought mine!

Looking forward to seeing build pics.
I will try my best to do some build pics. I get ahead of myself and do way to much and forget the camera. Kinda like when I eat a new recipe I made. No one ever sees it. lol.

Anyone have a servo they like for this kit? I used the Hobbyking TS-910 but they are out of stock except for the global Hobbyking warehouse.

I don't want to go too expensive so anything around $80 would be the top dollar for me. Have to save the pennies now that I spent money I didn't have.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
The mixing of standard and metric hardware gave me bad flashbacks to my 84 Camaro.
WTH? They mix hardware? I wonder why...

Apparently Vanquish is having a sale on these so the price is $750 everywhere not including coupons
Old 03-19-2019, 06:34 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

All of the diff cover screws are standard. I can't fathom why. I was lucky to have already had a 1/16" driver on hand.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #10

Quote:
All of the diff cover screws are standard. I can't fathom why. I was lucky to have already had a 1/16" driver on hand.
They've said they use 4-40 on their beadlock wheels because of the threads and because of the smaller screw heads. Maybe they were thinking the same for the diff cover, but I think metric would have been fine in both places.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:27 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
They've said they use 4-40 on their beadlock wheels because of the threads and because of the smaller screw heads. Maybe they were thinking the same for the diff cover, but I think metric would have been fine in both places.
If they think that standard is the way to go I am not questioning it. With the price and quality I have seen in these kits I am not smart enough to know why they did it. But, if they say jump I will do it. I can see that with a different thread pitch and head size it may just be that when you use a Metric driver it may have an adverse effect in assembly. I don't know I am tired so i'm not sure I am making sense.

I'll sleep on it and see what I can dream up why.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:35 AM   #12

Quote:
haha! Man, that's the truth. That era of vehicle was a nightmare until you figured out the combination. Drivetrain was SAE, chassis was metric.

I've had at least one thirdgen since I was 16 (42 now), and currently I have an 88 GTA, my 85 IROC and an 87 GMC Sierra pickup. I've been wrenching on these things so long that now I just instinctively know what to reach for no matter what the job is.

But it still pisses me off when I have to deal with those stupid SLW hubs and their non-metric hardware.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

This is not a good thing to see when you're in the market for Rig #2. I'm all set on getting another TRX4 but a vanquish up and running for under a grand? Ugh.

My only excuse right now is that I drive my current TRX4 and don't worry too much about scratching it up underneath - that's what it's for! I feel like I'd want to baby the Vanquish.

What are the thoughts on the exposed pinion/spur setup? Or is it covered with clear plastic? All the pictures show the gears exposed under a metal "hood".
jessedacri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessedacri View Post
This is not a good thing to see when you're in the market for Rig #2. I'm all set on getting another TRX4 but a vanquish up and running for under a grand? Ugh.

My only excuse right now is that I drive my current TRX4 and don't worry too much about scratching it up underneath - that's what it's for! I feel like I'd want to baby the Vanquish.

What are the thoughts on the exposed pinion/spur setup? Or is it covered with clear plastic? All the pictures show the gears exposed under a metal "hood".
They are exposed. I believe the skid plate and fender wells are there to protect the inside of the truck. That's how I see it.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessedacri View Post
It's a non-issue.

The inner fenders and battery tray serve as pretty good protection. I was doing sand slinging burnouts with my VS410 and pretty much nothing got near the gears. Worst case scenario is you are replacing a $5 plastic spur if a rock happens to get wedged in just right.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Default Darn you AMain.

So those that have one what motor ESC combo do you use?

I wanted a BRXL and 12T Holmes crawlmaster.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:16 PM   #17
Go Buckeyes!

Default Darn you AMain.

I'm running the Castle Mamba X with the Slate 3800kv motor. It is a little more motor than I need, but it was a spare motor I had laying around, so I put it in. I set the throttle curve in the Mamba X so it has smooth low speed and ramps up for high speed. I love the Castle systems. I have these systems in my TRX-4 and my SCX10.2 also.

Last edited by B-MOW71; 03-20-2019 at 08:56 PM.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:16 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I'm running a Mamba X-2850 on my VS4-10 with portals, and a Mamba X-2280 on my stock kit. Both setups have been great for me.
Perkul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:07 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I'm running the Castle Mamba X with the Slate 3800kv motor. It is a little more motor than I need, but it was a spare motor I had laying around, so I put it in. I set the throttle curve in the Mamba X so it has smooth low speed and ramps up for high speed. I love the Castle systems. I have these systems in my TRX-4 and my SCX10.2 also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkul8r View Post
I'm running a Mamba X-2850 on my VS4-10 with portals, and a Mamba X-2280 on my stock kit. Both setups have been great for me.
Cool, thanks. I will look into these setups. I like the castle stuff so it may be a no brainer to go that route. I may just hold off and do the Holmes ESC/Motor combo on the TRX-4. I will do some research on these and report back when I order. I need to go find all my Tekin stuff I have had for years in storage and re use that.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:39 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYACE63 View Post
Cool, thanks. I will look into these setups. I like the castle stuff so it may be a no brainer to go that route. I may just hold off and do the Holmes ESC/Motor combo on the TRX-4. I will do some research on these and report back when I order. I need to go find all my Tekin stuff I have had for years in storage and re use that.
If you are going to consider brushless, look at the Holmes Puller Pro Stubby. It has more power than the Slate motors, better low speed resolution, is lighter, and is now the same price as a Slate after the recent price drop. I have a Slate and it is a fine motor but without the "it costs significantly less" factor, going with the Puller Pro is a no brainer.

My VS410 currently runs a PP Stubby 2700kv with a Mamba X but I'm going to swap it over to a 3500kv PP and gear down further for the same top end speed. Should be even more fun.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote

Darn you AMain. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Darn leaves! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 11-14-2017 01:04 PM
Darn you Dad! BEELZEBOB Chit Chat 11 02-06-2010 05:57 AM
Darn kyosho vipxj Kyosho Crawlers 31 03-27-2009 08:20 AM
DARN trucks rockwerks Chit Chat 0 11-04-2006 11:26 AM
Darn Rivets! Deezul General Crawlers 4 04-19-2006 09:53 PM