Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: A new AXIAL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #121
Rock Stacker

Default Re: A new AXIAL

Wait, they sold you their demo johnnyluv? Weird. My LHS never does that.
rattmobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #122
Rock Stacker

I like this thing. I think. But those wheels are tacky as all get out and for some reason I REALLY want to slap a set of 2.2s on it! LOL!
rattmobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #123
RCC Addict

Man o man, y couldnt these come out a month ago? I like the looks of it. More so the orange over the black. Ive got a set of wheels that would look great on this rig. But i think i can wait til the hype is over n then get one

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #124
I wanna be Dave

Is the tube chassis the same dimensions as the old Wraith? Any narrower or shorter?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #125
I wanna be Dave

Much appreciated, my man!

And thanks for the body-off shots, looking good...
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:36 PM   #126
I wanna be Dave

It seems like it shares enough parts that I might just go with buying the chassis and body/grille if possible on this one. Hopefully we can see those parts soon.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #127
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
Wait, they sold you their demo johnnyluv? Weird. My LHS never does that.
I don't think so, because it was all sealed up, still, and the store mgr was telling me that he was just looking for a store/stock sticker to put on it when I called about it. Maybe it was a mistake. I didn't even know what the posted retail price was, which probably worked in my favor, since, if it was a mistake, he would have corrected it and I might possibly have left without it, because I don't know if I'd want to pay $369 for it, seeing that our city tax is nearly 10% (which would've pushed the total price over $400.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #128
I wanna be Dave

Would one of you be able to do me a favor? I am looking for the dimensions of the grill. Appreciate any help.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #129

I might buy the new chassis when it's out, but the more I look at this truck the more I see typical Axial cost cutting. One-piece axles, plastic links and plastic hollow balls. Come on! How long are people going to keep buying this shit? The Redcat Gen 8 and TRX-4 Sport are both better equipped and cost less. They aren't all plastic.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:16 PM   #130
Rock Crawler

My $.02

Had one in my hands at my LHS today. Struck me more as a 10.2 with a cage than a 1.9 Wraith (if that makes any sense to anyone but me, lol). Mechanicals are almost entirely what you'd find on a 10.2. Plastic does seem to be better (links didn't seem to be nearly as bendy as the previous ones I have encountered). The engine/receiver box is actually pretty slick looking. Tires seemed more grippy than the usual Axial RTR tires. Matte finish on the body was a nice touch and the opening hood seems well executed.

Overall seemed like a decent truck, if I was in the market for a 10.2 I might consider it...

At the price they quoted me ($339) I think there are better options though...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:29 AM   #131
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
My $.02

Had one in my hands at my LHS today. Struck me more as a 10.2 with a cage than a 1.9 Wraith (if that makes any sense to anyone but me, lol). Mechanicals are almost entirely what you'd find on a 10.2. Plastic does seem to be better (links didn't seem to be nearly as bendy as the previous ones I have encountered). The engine/receiver box is actually pretty slick looking. Tires seemed more grippy than the usual Axial RTR tires. Matte finish on the body was a nice touch and the opening hood seems well executed.

Overall seemed like a decent truck, if I was in the market for a 10.2 I might consider it...

At the price they quoted me ($339) I think there are better options though...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ironic I guess: When I got my first Axial, my first thought was the plastics are terrible - flexible and far too thin, if only they could use the same type used by TLR. Looks like that may be happening now. Still plastic links in 2019 ain't good.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:33 AM   #132
Quarry Creeper

What about the dogbones?

Is there another manufacturer who still uses dogbones? Even the cheap and cheerfull Chinese knockoffs have universals.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:10 AM   #133
Quarry Creeper

yeah the for the relative cost of including unis and metal links, they have missed the mark. Thats big business (horizon) cost cutting coming out in full force...
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:18 AM   #134
I wanna be Dave

Maybe a kit will come.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:28 AM   #135
I wanna be Dave

I think they based their pricing on what you get for $299 on a Deadbolt...

With the Wraith 1.9 you get a more complicated and newly engineered chassis, headlights, and an opening hood.

I do agree that in general Axial is asking more for what you get than their competition.

They should be charging $249 for the Deadbolt and $279-$299 for this new Wraith.

But don't forget, you get twin turbos for your money!

durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:38 AM   #136
Rock Crawler

Axial always was overpriced and low quality. They have the marketing and established market presence that lets them get away with it.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:41 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmo View Post
yeah the for the relative cost of including unis and metal links, they have missed the mark. Thats big business (horizon) cost cutting coming out in full force...
You can’t blame Horizon for starting this. Axial has used plastic links and other parts for a long time.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:20 AM   #138
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You can’t blame Horizon for starting this. Axial has used plastic links and other parts for a long time.
Jato you got a good point about that, however Horizon could change that, it's all over this forum about the dislike for this but yet it still stays the same.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:46 AM   #139
I wanna be Dave

I'm kinda surprised about the links. Vaterra comes with aluminum links so why not axial. They would be replaced either way by me though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:49 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Jato you got a good point about that, however Horizon could change that, it's all over this forum about the dislike for this but yet it still stays the same.
Yes, they sure could. I expected Horizon to improved the Axial and I'm shocked that they didn't. Look how well equipped the Ascender was when it came out. It never had plastic links, plastic hollow balls, or plastic hollow balls from what I remember, until it was turned into a budget model.

I think at this point Horizon has no incentive to update the Axial links, etc to metal because Axial fans happily accept overpriced vehicles with way too much plastic. Look at any of the other mainstream brands - Traxxas, Vaterra, etc. Even their RTRs come with metal links and metal gears unless it's a budget model like the Suburban.

A new AXIAL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM