Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: A new Axial thing, not the last new thing but another new thing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #121

Default Re: A new Axial thing, not the last new thing but another new thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Why not compare the 2 like that? The TRX4 isn't new, it's been out for 2 years and the SCXII has been on the market for only a year longer. Both companies have released the same amount of bodies on their platforms but one is treated as an innovator and the other is told they need to redo their whole business model when both are doing the exact same thing. If market fatigue sets in for one, why wouldn't it for the other? How much longer does having better links, stiffer plastics, or better shocks offset that fatigue? Does Traxxas' history with the Stampede/Rustler, Slash, T-Maxx, Revo, X-Maxx, etc. give any reason to think there will be anything more than new bodies on the same chassis for a very long time?

Variety is a matter of prospective, you could say Traxxas has vehicles from more brands than Axial (which is true) but you can also say Axial has a wider variety of vehicle styles that alter the driving characteristics of the platform (this kit is going to drive completely differently than the Cherokee kit, the TRX4 D110 doesn't drive much differently than the Blazer).

I truly like the TRX4 but something about it doesn't inspire the desire to build something unique on it like an Axial does.

Now you got me sounding all Axial fanboi.
And maybe I've turned into a Traxxas fanboi... It's no secret that I think Axial has been pretty underwhelming since the release of the OG SCX10. Whether people want to admit it or not we all have biases.

You're right the TRX-4 is already a couple years old. I always forget that. I also thought the SCX10 II was older. But I wasn't blown away when it was released since it was such a small revision over the OG SCX10 and maybe that's why I feel it's older. Outside of the AR44 axles it's the same truck in my book. The layout changed, but it's not what I was hoping for.

If Traxxas keeps the TRX-4 around, unchanged, forever like a lot of their other models I'll tire of it, especially if nothing better comes out (hard to believe in this hot market). I'm still holding onto hope that Horizon+Axial is eventually going to blow us away with a new platform.

I'm the same way with the SCX10 II that you are with the TRX-4. It's not a bad truck and I overly bash it at times. It just underwhelms me.

So we can agree to disagree!

And I think (IMO) that was a good example of a discussion with dissenting opinions. Not everything on a forum is or needs to be an argument...people forget that including myself at times.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 04-11-2019 at 10:27 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #122
Quarry Creeper

After the Hobbico bankruptcy I can imagine how difficult it is to place something new on the market (portals, licensed bodies) yet. And I doubt Horizon is rolling in money. Traxxas had their accounts filled I bet, before they came out with the Trx4. But I am happy, there is so much movement in this hobby and that they are trying. I don't get all the haters - okay, no portals, but then: less stuff that can break (no need for two speed either - that's what your throttle finger is for - LOL)

Unfortunately that body is so far away from being a Unimog that even a Knight Customs grille won't fix it (hood slope wrong, hood too long, wrong fenders and grille shape).
The rear end looks good though. The wheels too. As most of us have several chassis already (no matter what brand), there are 3D printed "425" cabs out there or the "406" from loops.
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #123
I wanna be Dave

I’ve just read, and laughed until tears rolled down my cheeks 123 comments.
I’m new to 1.9 scale, but have been around bashing and RC for many years. After starting with 2.2 rigs, built a VS4, and just did a SCX10ii raw kit. So no reason I would want or need to look at this..... OR ???
It’s a different approach for us newcomers, great looks vs your common taco or jeep.
SSD portal boxes might be in my future now.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #124
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
So a Deadbolt with a generic Unimog body and it doesn't even have portals?
No Jato, a Cherokee kit with a generic Mog body with grey diff covers. Also a new rear cage!
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
No Jato, a Cherokee kit with a generic Mog body with grey diff covers. Also a new rear cage!
Nope. Cherokee kit doesn't have the one-piece axles.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #126
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
It's sintered metal gears, not the machined goodies.
The manual and parts listing on Axial's site list AX31405 as the gears which are the machined gears from the Cherokee kit, is there somewhere better than the manual that says otherwise?

Quote:

And I think (IMO) that was a good example of a discussion with dissenting opinions. Not everything on a forum is or needs to be an argument...people forget that including myself at times.
High five for responsible interneting!
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #127
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Someone put the SSD portal axles under it and come show it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Yasss
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
It’s a different approach for us newcomers, great looks vs your common taco or jeep.
SSD portal boxes might be in my future now.

Hang up and Drive
Right?! It will be a fun project for somebody. Not to mention a straight forward opportunity to get a capable Mog into the garage.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #128
Quarry Creeper

It does look really good in their video - wonder if that is bone stock?

https://youtu.be/KRAHKwnnL3Y

And finally someone sitting behind the wheel (I am glad you can exchange that "Nazi" helmet for cap or hat too).
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #129
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
And maybe I've turned into a Traxxas fanboi... It's no secret that I think Axial has been pretty underwhelming since the release of the OG SCX10. Whether people want to admit it or not we all have biases.

You're right the TRX-4 is already a couple years old. I always forget that. I also thought the SCX10 II was older. But I wasn't blown away when it was released since it was such a small revision over the OG SCX10 and maybe that's why I feel it's older. Outside of the AR44 axles it's the same truck in my book. The layout changed, but it's not what I was hoping for.

If Traxxas keeps the TRX-4 around, unchanged, forever like a lot of their other models I'll tire of it, especially if nothing better comes out (hard to believe in this hot market). I'm still holding onto hope that Horizon+Axial is eventually going to blow us away with a new platform.

I'm the same way with the SCX10 II that you are with the TRX-4. It's not a bad truck and I overly bash it at times. It just underwhelms me.

It is a good investment aka business decision to keep a proven platform alive for a long time. Various costs can be minimized and until needing a tooling change, so minimal costs there. That keeps the profit higher allowing more money for customer service, and r&d. The Scx platform is Known as one of the best performing rigs out of the box, sure it has flaws, but what rig doesn't.

When the Trx4 was released, I remember people saing the Cg was going to be way to high with those stupid portals. And that stupidly complex locking and unlocking diff's they are going to break every time you look at them. Are these true?

Maybe maybe not.

Horizon Hobbies has some of the best customer service I have ever used. So Axial being priced higher allows those who break their brand new rig to call and get help with replacement parts. aka 1 piece housings.

Btw I have two rigs using them without a failure. One is brushless with plenty of wheelspeed RBK, and the other is a stock dog boned Honcho.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #130
I wanna be Dave

i just like the cage on the back. hopefully that's available separately soon.

for the price(s), i still haven't seen anything from axial i absolutely HAD to have. kudos for really brining the modern crawler chassis to mass market for average consumers... but you'd have to pry my ascender from my cold, dead hands. and no mine doesn't have any torque twist. its rear leafed.

but if there is ever a deal on the 1.9 wraith... GIMME!!!!!!!
they really do bring some decent things to the plate. just hard to swallow some of the price tags. i will also admit the raw builders kit is damn tempting. haters need to admit, the versatility of the scx10 is nearly infinite with all the aftermarket... well you know. i feel like we have had this "discussion" a million times over. cant we just be happy we got a new thing?
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #131
RCC Addict

Another great offering to add to the huge list of great available rigs on the market. I like it, smaller Mogs aren't really my favorite but this one looks good. I like the wheels and tires!
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #132

Quote:
It is a good investment aka business decision to keep a proven platform alive for a long time. Various costs can be minimized and until needing a tooling change, so minimal costs there. That keeps the profit higher allowing more money for customer service, and r&d. The Scx platform is Known as one of the best performing rigs out of the box, sure it has flaws, but what rig doesn't.

When the Trx4 was released, I remember people saing the Cg was going to be way to high with those stupid portals. And that stupidly complex locking and unlocking diff's they are going to break every time you look at them. Are these true?

Maybe maybe not.

Horizon Hobbies has some of the best customer service I have ever used. So Axial being priced higher allows those who break their brand new rig to call and get help with replacement parts. aka 1 piece housings.

Btw I have two rigs using them without a failure. One is brushless with plenty of wheelspeed RBK, and the other is a stock dog boned Honcho.
You're explaining simple ways to save costs and maximize profits. I think most of us understand that.

Saying the high price means better customer service is simply not true. Some high priced items, like the iPhone for example, come from Apple which is notorious for having horrible customer service unless you pay them for the "Apple Care". And there are lots of inexpensive items, like the Traxxas Bandit, that come from companies with great customer service. Traxxas customer service is every bit as good as Horizon's in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
but if there is ever a deal on the 1.9 wraith... GIMME!!!!!!!
they really do bring some decent things to the plate. just hard to swallow some of the price tags. i will also admit the raw builders kit is damn tempting. haters need to admit, the versatility of the scx10 is nearly infinite with all the aftermarket... well you know. i feel like we have had this "discussion" a million times over. cant we just be happy we got a new thing?
Wait for the updated 1.9 Wraith. Horizon has admitted flaws that they are going to fix. Running changes show a company that cares IMO. Axial would never have made that running change if they were still owned by HobbiCo. The Dingo issues from the first kit remained through the last sold.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #133
RCC Addict

My wallet is relieved that this is not a portal axled SCX10 III, but I am disappointed.

Quote:
Nope. Cherokee kit doesn't have the one-piece axles.
And the Deadbolt doesn't have this trans, aluminum links, universals, or aluminum shocks. I'd say that puts this much closer to the XJ kit than a Deadbolt.

I think it is cool that they are bringing out more kits, but I wish they would have released it some revised (Losi/Vaterra style) fawkin shocks and links at the very least. I dont think it is too much to ask for to have shocks that hold oil and rod ends that dont wallow out and get sloppy after a couple hours of run time.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
My wallet is relieved that this is not a portal axled SCX10 III, but I am disappointed.

And the Deadbolt doesn't have this trans, aluminum links, universals, or aluminum shocks. I'd say that puts this much closer to the XJ kit than a Deadbolt.

I think it is cool that they are bringing out more kits, but I wish they would have released it some revised (Losi/Vaterra style) fawkin shocks and links at the very least. I dont think it is too much to ask for to have shocks that hold oil and rod ends that dont wallow out and get sloppy after a couple hours of run time.
Agreed.

I kind of addressed that in a different post where I compared this Chunimog to the Cherokee.

Agreed on the shocks and rod ends. They're so bad they've become somewhat of a joke in this hobby.

I still have faith Horizon is going to improve Axial a whole lot as management and bean counters allow.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #135
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You're explaining simple ways to save costs and maximize profits. I think most of us understand that.

Saying the high price means better customer service is simply not true. Some high priced items, like the iPhone for example, come from Apple which is notorious for having horrible customer service unless you pay them for the "Apple Care". And there are lots of inexpensive items, like the Traxxas Bandit, that come from companies with great customer service. Traxxas customer service is every bit as good as Horizon's in my experience.
Lol

I don't own Apple.... Though I know people who swear by them.

I said H.H. Has excellent customer service, and their highr costs may be allowing for that. I really do not see the pricing differances between the two companies. I see them being more similar than differant. They are both trying to make profit on a niche market.

If you want really crappy plastic's see a lower end Tamiya kit. And talk about the KING of reusing platforms.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #136

Quote:
Lol

I don't own Apple.... Though I know people who swear by them.

I said H.H. Has excellent customer service, and their highr costs may be allowing for that. I really do not see the pricing differances between the two companies. I see them being more similar than differant. They are both trying to make profit on a niche market.

If you want really crappy plastic's see a lower end Tamiya kit. And talk about the KING of reusing platforms.
I disagree about higher prices allowing for better customer service.

Tamiya operates to the beat of their own drummer and people love them for it. The ABS plastics do suck for RCs, but they're fine for brushed, 80's speed RC models on which they use them. I get what you're saying, but those Tamiya vehicles aren't in competition with Axial. Every direct competitor that I own has better plastics than Axial.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #137
I wanna be Dave

Blah, blah, blah, all most of you do is complain about dumb shit. I recall the days when there were no kits, other than the rc4wd stuff, and later the highlift. You had to build everything by piecing together tlt, txt axles with a stampede trans or something else, or do moa and mate that to a Walmart/kids toy body. I still build most my rigs from the ground up with a mish mash of parts from different manufacturers. Shit its 2019 and I just now built a "kit" wraith from parts that I've gathered over the last year or more. I have also only bought a scx10 chassis last year to expedite a few builds that have been taking a long time for me. I think x number of reiterations are good, because the masses are not keen to "building" rigs anymore. Now it's all rtr, or a kit, and most customize them anyways, so half the parts get swapped out! It would be nice for someone to come out with a 6x6 or 8x8 kit that is not in the capo, etc price range of 4 digit $
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #138
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Clearly he is deep in thought about how he can share this exciting news with the great people of RCC before the vast heard of FB morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Im gettin excited! Hopefully they used better plastics this time as well. Definantly looks like a unimog though
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
a dakar truck would be sweeet
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
All I can find is its called the UMG10 and its $299

EDIT: could just be pre-order price. But in the pics it looks like aluminum links and shocks atleast. Guess we'll see all the details later today.
Decent price and glad that shocks and links are aluminum and not plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Sooo...

We're going to be seeing lots of brand new scx10 chassis' with brand new trx4 bodies in the classifieds real soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyguy4 View Post
Pretty cool, the grill is ugly as sin though but easily remedied, always wanted to build a mog crawler but alas I’m too lazy and cheap but this could fit nicely
Yes looks great, but the headlights are wth (looks like Barrage)....grill isnt' too bad and can be rescued wtih 3d print or styrene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbart View Post
About the only thing new & different other than the body is the body mount system & lack of visible body clips.
Looks like it.

Quote:
I'm honestly surprised the SCXII kit transmission lived to see use in another release.

Full details in English.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-10-sc...kit-p-axi90075
Agreed about tranny, thanks for links on Horizon Hobby.

Quote:
It has universals and machined axle gears with separate lockers according to the manual.
Awesome that it's got one piece axle gears and universals!

Quote:
The Chunimog is cheaper, but it has the one-piece axles so you have to pick your poison - lower cost or 3-piece axles. I didn't notice any other differences from the Cherokee.
The one piece axles look more more scale and less stuff hanging down to get hung up on.

Quote:
Agreed on the shocks and rod ends. They're so bad they've become somewhat of a joke in this hobby.

I still have faith Horizon is going to improve Axial a whole lot as management and bean counters allow.
Yes and yes.

Great to see the Unimog-esque body!!!

Last edited by Natedog; 04-11-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #139
I wanna be Dave

Ill be honest.. I'd rather much have 4mm rod ends than 3mm. If it wallows out.. Replace em. Use revo ends. No brainer.

The price is a little.. Low?!?! If 3 bills is the actual price.. I can see the price of axles coming down.

Id like to put some losi flavor under this new rig. Anybody have chassis pics yet?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
Ill be honest.. I'd rather much have 4mm rod ends than 3mm. If it wallows out.. Replace em. Use revo ends. No brainer.

The price is a little.. Low?!?! If 3 bills is the actual price.. I can see the price of axles coming down.

Id like to put some losi flavor under this new rig. Anybody have chassis pics yet?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Axial has an official listing and photos on their website.

More photos here: Axial Racing - SCX10 II

A new Axial thing, not the last new thing but another new thing. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Imthatguy's Jeep thing video thing. imthatguy Scale Videos! 0 03-24-2013 08:13 AM
Is there such a thing as too many? carried away General Scale Talk 45 01-18-2013 01:35 PM
E-Maxx Axial Ralley Thing Tortuga275 Non Crawler RC's 12 02-13-2010 01:10 PM