RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Scale Talk (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-scale-talk/)
-   -   Frame Rail Comparisons (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-scale-talk/609324-frame-rail-comparisons.html)

Voodoobrew 06-08-2019 01:41 AM

Frame Rail Comparisons

1 Attachment(s)
Tried putting portals on a Toyzuki v2 and it was pretty meh. So I wanted to see how some of the other chassis stacked up as far as clearance goes. I made a composite image of some of the best side views I could find. This image isn't 100% accurate but it's as close as I could manage. So I stacked a Couple of Toyzukies, SCX10, TRX-4, and a VS4-10. Lol I bought the sport, swapped the axles to ar60's and resold it for about the same price I got it for, and now I'm considering getting one of the parted out ones of of fleabay cause there so cheap :P Except for the scx10 and the Toyzuki v2 these all seem to have about the same rise/clearance. I think the new Element Enduro Is right there too, taking the front of the VS4-10 and the rear of the TRX4. Motor location isn't bad on the trx4.

Anyways here's that Picture...

CM9000 06-08-2019 07:40 AM

Re: Frame Rail Comparisons

You are missing the CCC hill killer v4.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

ferp420 06-08-2019 07:48 AM

i can for sure say you have the axial and trx4 chassies profile wrong the trx4 has about a1/2" - 9/16th" more drop at the skid mounting point than the axial scx10 the vs4 is very similer to the traxass but the ends turn down for the bumpers to mount to the redcat gen8 looks almost exsacly like the vs4 frame rails but there way bigger in every way

its hard to compair from the pictures cause theres not a scale or tape mesure in the pictures to compair with

Voodoobrew 06-08-2019 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CM9000 (Post 5941331)
You are missing the CCC hill killer v4.

If you provide me with a good profile pic of the chassis like these and the length I can add it, I can't use angled shots and that's all I can find.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferp420 (Post 5941332)
i can for sure say you have the axial and trx4 chassies profile wrong the trx4 has about a1/2" - 9/16th" more drop at the skid mounting point than the axial scx10 the vs4 is very similer to the traxass but the ends turn down for the bumpers to mount to the redcat gen8 looks almost exsacly like the vs4 frame rails but there way bigger in every way

its hard to compair from the pictures cause theres not a scale or tape mesure in the pictures to compair with

The drop is1/2 more in the picture, but all of the skids were normalized to the same height. So you see it over the axles. The trx4 is 1/2 in higher over the axles instead.

This is how the same profiles look if normalized at the rear axle with skids mostly flat. And a ruler...

Bob_in az 06-08-2019 12:02 PM

You missed the Gen8 too. Yeah, I know, everyone is supposed to hate Redcat :roll:, but the Gen8 frame rails are stout. Definitely an option to consider.

ferp420 06-08-2019 03:35 PM

right on i just cant see it

Voodoobrew 06-08-2019 07:42 PM

I know I missed a ton of chassis obviously. Maybe I could make a flash app that could compair more but too many in one picture is just a mess, and nobody likes flash any more.

Shinchu 06-08-2019 10:45 PM

Oh that would be rad.
Would make choosing a new rig a little easier. Maybe.

Voodoobrew 06-11-2019 01:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The measurements I found make the redcat seem much larger than the rest of these.

bikepilot 06-11-2019 09:57 AM

I really like this!! very helpful in deciding on chassis! Thank you for your work on this voodoo!!! My question is, with all these new chassis coming out does the "high clearance" rails really make a difference? I mean yeah it sounds like it would but does it really??? I see where it'd help with articulation but does it really help on the rocks?

Voodoobrew 06-11-2019 01:48 PM

It helps with portal axles imo because you can then lower the skid more, but it also either raises the center of gravity or you lose ground clearance on the skid. There is a balance you need to watch.

bikepilot 06-11-2019 08:48 PM

That makes since for portals. So then for normal axles there's not much of an advantage? I guess you could still drop the ride height but then be dragging the skid and hitting the rails. Yep it's all about the balance! Thanks!

CM9000 06-12-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikepilot (Post 5942412)
That makes since for portals. So then for normal axles there's not much of an advantage? I guess you could still drop the ride height but then be dragging the skid and hitting the rails. Yep it's all about the balance! Thanks!

Yep yep. High clearence rails really only benefit portal axles.

bikepilot 06-12-2019 09:07 AM

Yep, that was my conclusion too. I'm still new to this so I'm still trying to figure out all the technical stuff out. I appreciate all the help from everyone one this forum!!!

yp.sebastian 08-07-2019 08:58 AM

Yes, appreciated for all the information. I am having hard time choosing between the vs410 pro and toyzuki v3 myself. Any pointers and advice will be greatful as I am fairly new to all this. Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

CODYBOY 08-07-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yp.sebastian (Post 5954911)
Yes, appreciated for all the information. I am having hard time choosing between the vs410 pro and toyzuki v3 myself. Any pointers and advice will be greatful as I am fairly new to all this. Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

When I was looking I didn't have much luck finding a V3 chassis so I went with VS4 10 chassis kit. "thumbsup"
Ernie

JC3 08-07-2019 11:15 AM

Someone said that the main problem with stock chassis' is the "excessive anti-squat and anti-dive." In what way do aftermarket chassis', such as the ones above, address these two problems?

Voodoobrew 08-07-2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC3 (Post 5954934)
Someone said that the main problem with stock chassis' is the "excessive anti-squat and anti-dive." In what way do aftermarket chassis', such as the ones above, address these two problems?

There is a " definitive" thread that talks about suspension and links pinned in general somewhere. We're not drag racing so I don't know how important that is. I think raising the top link near the skid would do it though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hillbillyrc 08-07-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC3 (Post 5954934)

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/gener...nk-thread.html

This is a great read and a great stickied thread

JC3 08-07-2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbillyrc (Post 5954957)
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/gener...nk-thread.html

This is a great read and a great stickied thread

Yes, thanks! I managed to find that thread earlier this morning. It's great. I guess then, these aftermarket chassis' don't actually do anything to alleviate or make adjustment of dive/squat easier. It sounds like even with these chassis' your on your own to dial dive/squat in or out. In the end what you get with them is, in certain situations, more clearance and shock tuning options and that's about it.

I also found this thread.