Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Flatbed Trailer Rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Flatbed Trailer Rebuild

Here is a home made trailer I bought for around $35, it wasn't terrible, but greatly lacking in refinement.

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr

I started working on this last year, and got it to a point of completion I was ok with at the time, but knew I wanted to take it further. I started out by adding the wheel wells and tool box. With a 3D printer and no design skills yet, I pulled these designs off of Thingiverse and scaled them to my needs, but fitment was still an issue.

Once I got some feeble skills in Fusion, I designed the ramps and jack. The end product wasn't bad, but still had things I wasn't satisfied with...

Now it is a year later, I have better skills and tools for designing parts, and have ripped this guy back down to the frame. One of the things I want changed are the axles. They were functional, somewhat, but they squeaked really bad, and the wheels just looked kind of funny when they rolled. The suspension was just one leaf spring flipped over, and a 4mm chunk of all-thread connecting the wheels.

I have designed the axles and hubs, which will be supported by a properly mounted double leaf spring suspension. I am using Slash 2WD from axles on the hubs with bearings all of the way around. The test print has been done, and adjustments made. Its time to throw the whole mess on the printer.

Axle v6 by Scott O, on Flickr

Trailer Hub v9 by Scott O, on Flickr

The wheels are going to be a little wider apart, so I'll have to remake the wheel wells, which isn't a bad thing, the first set worked, but were really thin. I am also going to redesign the tool box.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Flatbed Trailer Rebuild

Great progress after about 15 hours of print time...

I printed the axles at about 50% infill, and the hubs at 100%.

I am using Traxxas 2WD Slash front axles and hexes...

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr\\Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr

With everything put together the axles look a little beefy, but being plastic, they need to be.

When I was first fitting up the springs they were really wobbly, which made me a little worried, but with the hardware tightened down, the wobble is completely out. With it sitting on its wheels everything looks straight and right, the wheels roll straight and true with little to no scrub. Also, unlike before, they roll very smoothly with no squeaking.

I have the new tool box I designed on the printer now, and is halfway through its 13 hour print. I am a little nervious, there are thunderstorms in the area and my CR10 does not have a UPS or a print-resume feature.

Next I'll design and print the wheel wells and the winch mount. After I fit-check everything I'll rip it all apart, put a fresh coat of paint on the frame, then put it all back together with proper hardware.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Those axles look good, pretty close to 1:1 trailer axles.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:31 AM   #4
j0e
Rock Crawler

Wow. Great job on those axles.
The new setup really makes this thing.
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:11 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

It's a really good looking trailer. Now you need a yeti jr can am in the trailer.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:36 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Well, I think I am done with this thing for now. I might go back and redesign the ramps, but I am satisfied with them for now. I have towed this behind my TRX4 a couple of times, it pulls very smoothly, with no wobbling or screeching like before. I need to put a little bit of a load on it to see how well the axles hold up.

The tool box holds a small 2C lipo with the wireless winch controller.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Nice looking trailer, I like the way it turned out. To me the ramps look to be a little short.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:16 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Nice looking trailer, I like the way it turned out. To me the ramps look to be a little short.
Thanks!

Of course, buying the chassis used, I had no say in its construction, but if I would have done it, I would have made the back of it straight, instead of that downward curve. I thought about asking one of my metal-working friends to do some work on it. Given its added height, I would love to put retractable ramps underneath the back end.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:13 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Thanks!

Of course, buying the chassis used, I had no say in its construction, but if I would have done it, I would have made the back of it straight, instead of that downward curve. I thought about asking one of my metal-working friends to do some work on it. Given its added height, I would love to put retractable ramps underneath the back end.

I like the Dove tail look of the trailer. Retractable ramps would be nice. You could get some aluminum U channel for the slides. Then 3D print some ramps almost the length of the dove tail.

Just spit balling ideas here, the trailer looks great the way it is currently. Can't wait to see it loaded and being pulled with something.